PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a new iBook G4!

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 09:18 PM
Just had to share my joy and excitement. I bought a new 1.33GHz 12" iBook G4! :D

I can not wait for it to arrive- the sooner the better. :)

I ordered it with 512MB DDR333, anyone think that I should throw an extra 1GB of RAM in there? I mainly just plan on using it to surf the web, use M$ Office, iTunes, etc... For anything that requires serious horsepower, I have my good ol' Power Mac G5 to fall back on. Anyone here own a similar 'Book and think that I should or should not up the RAM?

mad jew
Oct 22, 2005, 09:33 PM
Congratulations. :)

You'll be fine for RAM in the mean time but extra will probably speed things up. I recommend waiting until the lustre of your new machine wears off and then upgrading the RAM. The extra speed will make it feel like a new machine - cheapest way to get a faster iBook. :p

katie ta achoo
Oct 22, 2005, 09:34 PM
Congrats on the new iBook! :)

I would put another 512 in there, not bother with another gig, if you do ANYTHING. With what you're doing, you don't need huge amounts, AND you have a sweet G5 to fall back on to when you decode your government secrets and render your 3d animation and .. uhh. track satellites.. I don't know what James Bond does in his free time :p

mad jew
Oct 22, 2005, 09:43 PM
I don't know what James Bond does in his free time :p

It's who. You don't know who James Bond does in his free time.

Chundles
Oct 22, 2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I'd say stick with the 512 for the time being. I'm guessing that with the dualie G5 there this new iBook isn't going to be doing much "heavy lifting" and in that case 512 should be OK. I have 512 in my (older) iBook G4 and it runs very nicely.

I'll wait till Leopard comes out and do a RAM max-out and OS install in the one go. That should keep me running smooth for a year or two after till I get my next Mac - hopefully some incarnation of the PowerBook.

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 09:47 PM

Exactly, thanks for clarifying that mad jew...Christmas Jones , stop that, I am trying to post... ;) :D

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the advice guys & gals. I guess that I will try my iBook out with the stock 512MB of RAM before I spring for any more.

yg17
Oct 22, 2005, 09:49 PM
Just had to share my joy and excitement. I bought a new 1.33GHz 12" iBook G4! :D

I ordered it with 512MB DDR333, anyone think that I should throw an extra 1GB of RAM in there? I mainly just plan on using it to surf the web, use M$ Office, iTunes, etc... For anything that requires serious horsepower, I have my good ol' Power Mac G5 to fall back on. Anyone here own a similar 'Book and think that I should or should not up the RAM?

Congrats. You'll be fine with 512.

When I first got my PowerBook, it had 512 which was more than enough for what you want to do. I was going to keep it with 512 for awhile but someone in my dorm was selling a stick of 512 laptop memory for a good price so I went ahead and bought it and upped it to a gig which did make a slight difference.

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 09:57 PM
I have to take a moment to thank FFTT for all of the advice that he/she gave on which Apple 'Book to purchase.

So, thanks FFTT! :) :) :)

katie ta achoo
Oct 22, 2005, 10:00 PM

:eek:

Oh well, shows how many times I've met James Bond.

/has a little crush on Sean Connery
//he's so scottish! <3
///and Pierce Brosnan
////Mmm... IRISH!
/////Craig Ferguson, too.

zap2
Oct 22, 2005, 10:02 PM

dirty little boy!!

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 10:03 PM
:eek:

Oh well, shows how many times I've met James Bond.

/has a little crush on Sean Connery
//he's so scottish! <3
///and Pierce Brosnan
////Mmm... IRISH!
/////Craig Ferguson, too.

Sean Connery, the greatest Bond of all time; with the exception of myself...naturally. :)

katie ta achoo
Oct 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
Sean Connery, the greatest Bond of all time; with the exception of myself...naturally. :)

only if you're in a kilt. ;)

/GIGGITY
//kilts are dreamy
///<3

enjoy the new iBook, Mr. Bond. Use it to track down some like.. stereotypical gun slinging russian terrorists.
I dunno, I don't watch James Bond movies.

Danksi
Oct 22, 2005, 10:17 PM
Kilts are over-rated.. :)

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 10:19 PM
only if you're in a kilt. ;)

Sadly no....sorry to disappoint.

enjoy the new iBook, Mr. Bond. Use it to track down some like.. stereotypical gun slinging russian terrorists.

Will do, provided the PowerPC G4 is up to snuff. Q said that it still has plenty of potential.

Even at MI-6, we have not been able to put a G5 in a 'Book. ;)

Danksi
Oct 22, 2005, 10:21 PM
Sadly no....sorry to disappoint.

Will do, provided the PowerPC G4 is up to snuff. Q said that it still has plenty of potential.

Even at MI-6, we have not been able to put a G5 in a 'Book. ;)

... MI-6 isn't allowed 'Books - keep loosing 'em down the pub after hours.

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 10:30 PM

Disgraceful, I know... :o

katie ta achoo
Oct 22, 2005, 10:39 PM

In the b3ta newsletter this week, one of the guys kept writing about how he left his laptop in the pub...

they let him in the MI-6? :p

Isn't that the place, where if they destroy a HD, they grind it into a fine powder, then burn the HD powder, then keep the burned, pulverized HD in a bucket in the basement?

Ooo, MI-6 = crazy.

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 10:46 PM
Isn't that the place, where if they destroy a HD, they grind it into a fine powder, then burn the HD powder, then keep the burned, pulverized HD in a bucket in the basement?

Yep, thats the place.

Ooo, MI-6 = crazy.

Watch it, I might have to send 009 after you. ;) :)

katie ta achoo
Oct 22, 2005, 10:48 PM
Watch it, I might have to send 009 after you. ;) :)

Oo! That sounds fun!

...Have him bring a PowerBook. :)

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 10:58 PM
Oo! That sounds fun!

...Have him bring a PowerBook. :)

If you insist...and i'll make sure that it is a 17"er... :D ;)

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 07:34 PM
It finally shipped today- so excited! :D

Should be at my house by the end of the week. :)

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 07:37 PM
It finally shipped today- so excited! :D

Should be at my house by the end of the week. :)

Have a box-opening party!! :)

If you fly me out there, I'll be the official photographer. :p

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 07:48 PM
Have a box-opening party!! :)

If you fly me out there, I'll be the official photographer. :p

Sounds like fun, but I just spent too much $$$ on the iBook G4 as it is.

How about next time? :)

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 08:00 PM
Sounds like fun, but I just spent too much $$$ on the iBook G4 as it is.

How about next time? :)

You mean you're getting a PowerBook next week, too!

:p

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 08:15 PM
You mean you're getting a PowerBook next week, too!

:p

Hey, just because I work at a bank does not mean
that I am made of money. ;)

I will probably wait to purchase one the rev B Intel equipped PowerBooks.

But then, then we can throw a party! :) ;)

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 08:24 PM
Hey, just because I work at a bank does not mean
that I am made of money. ;)

I will probably wait to purchase one the rev B Intel equipped PowerBooks.

But then, then we can throw a party! :) ;)

By then, I'll be CFO of apple and we can have the opening party in my office.

It'll be right where the big red X is.

whoops
on my desk
is a quad G5!!!
I was looking at the little "PowerBook G4" thing on my screen's bezel when I made this.

and I need that much computing power for umm..
official.. economist... podcasts...

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 08:40 PM
By then, I'll be CFO of apple and we can have the opening party in my office.

It'll be right where the big red X is.

whoops
on my desk
is a quad G5!!!
I was looking at the little "PowerBook G4" thing on my screen's bezel when I made this.

and I need that much computing power for umm..
official.. economist... podcasts...

Sounds like a plan. :)
I'll bring the champagne. ;)

Apple could use a good CFO such as yourself katie. :)

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 08:43 PM
Nice illustration btw.

Although, I would make the hot tub a little larger.

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 08:54 PM
It's not to scale!

You think I'm an architect?

Yeah, needs to be MUCH bigger... fit some pale, skinny Mac-Usin' men in it!

...best. CFO. EVER!

slooksterPSV
Oct 24, 2005, 08:58 PM

CONGRATS on the purchase (see my siggy? Just got him 5 days ago). You'll be happy with it. As for the RAM. You can if you want. I want to cause I edit photo's a lot of the time when I can get Free Trials of programs (Adobe Photoshop). Every program except one has run well for me. That program was Pages Trial. It runs like Dreamweaver MX 2004 - slow and high processor usage. That's just on mine though. I say upgrade the RAM you won't regret it.

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah, needs to be MUCH bigger... fit some pale, skinny Mac-Usin' men in it!

Of course. :)

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 09:10 PM
CONGRATS on the purchase (see my siggy? Just got him 5 days ago). You'll be happy with it. As for the RAM. You can if you want. I want to cause I edit photo's a lot of the time when I can get Free Trials of programs (Adobe Photoshop). Every program except one has run well for me. That program was Pages Trial. It runs like Dreamweaver MX 2004 - slow and high processor usage. That's just on mine though. I say upgrade the RAM you won't regret it.

Thank you, congrats to you as well. Glad that you are enjoying it- mine just shipped today (YES :D ).

I will probably end up slapping in a 1GB dimm in there to boost my RAM up to 1.5GB, but time will tell if I really need to. I do have this terrible need for computer speed (evidenced by my owning of a G5), so maxing out the RAM definitely is appealing to me.

slooksterPSV
Oct 24, 2005, 09:19 PM
Thank you, congrats to you as well. Glad that you are enjoying it- mine just shipped today (YES :D ).

I will probably end up slapping in a 1GB dimm in there to boost my RAM up to 1.5GB, but time will tell if I really need to. I do have this terrible need for computer speed (evidenced by my owning of a G5), so maxing out the RAM definitely is appealing to me.
You know, I could have probably purchased an iMac G5, but I like portability over anything else, so this was the best choice for me. I keep doing little things so I can make it last longer. Lower the backlight. Etc. I think I will end up uping my RAM when I get a job. Did you buy AppleCare?

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 09:48 PM
You know, I could have probably purchased an iMac G5, but I like portability over anything else, so this was the best choice for me. I keep doing little things so I can make it last longer. Lower the backlight. Etc. I think I will end up uping my RAM when I get a job. Did you buy AppleCare?

Yep, I bought AppleCare (as I did for my Power Mac G5).
I think that it is money well spent.

slooksterPSV
Oct 24, 2005, 10:06 PM
Yep, I bought AppleCare (as I did for my Power Mac G5).
I think that it is money well spent.
The one person on this forum. His Logic Board died, and he still had some AppleCare left, so he sent it in. They couldn't fix it so he got a new iBook.

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 10:28 PM
The one person on this forum. His Logic Board died, and he still had some AppleCare left, so he sent it in. They couldn't fix it so he got a new iBook.

Very cool. Maybe the same will happen with one of us and we will get a free Revision B/C Intel iBook. ;) :)

slooksterPSV
Oct 24, 2005, 10:31 PM
Very cool. Maybe the same will happen with one of us and we will get a free Revision B/C Intel iBook. ;) :)
No kidding. I love this two finger scroll feature soooooooo much.

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 10:43 PM
No kidding. I love this two finger scroll feature soooooooo much.

Okay, I wouldn't want a new iBook that way. If it would suddenly die on me I would be way too upset to describe (and I haven't even gotten the thing yet).