PDA

View Full Version : USB Support for MAC OS X 10.2 Jaguar

gotohamish
Dec 13, 2002, 07:29 AM
Hello people

Here's the predicament - my USB 1.1 hub is playing up on me, so I figured I'd buy a PCI card for my G4 500 Tower to replace it.

However, as I can get a USB 2.0 4-port one for 15/$22 - I'm wondering if this will do the job. I assume it will be just fine for USB 1.1. I don't actually have any USB 2.0 peripherals, and don't know if I ever will, but it's pretty difficult to get hold of a 4/5-port USB 1.1 card, and I might as well have the new technology just in case.

I know some manufacturers (Macally) have USB 2.0 card drivers, will these work on any card, and most importantly for now, will it work with 1.1 perihperals right out the box (which is effectively all I want right now!).

Appreciate your help on this!
Hamish

BenderBot1138
Dec 13, 2002, 07:38 AM
When you say your hub is playing up on you... I'm wondering what that means.

I assume you know certain USB devices need direct access to a USB port. Adding a better hub doesn't resolve this. An example of this is my Harmon/Kardon Sound Sticks. I plug them directly into one of my USB inputs, as on a hub, they can act up sometimes.

In general, High Bandwidth and Isochronous USB devices can experience problems when connected to a hub with other devices on it. You can open you ASP (Apple System Profiler to get a closer look at what's going on with these devices.

:cool:

gotohamish
Dec 13, 2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by BenderBot1138
When you say your hub is playing up on you... I'm wondering what that means.

I assume you know certain USB devices need direct access to a USB port. Adding a better hub doesn't resolve this. An example of this is my Harmon/Kardon Sound Sticks. I plug them directly into one of my USB inputs, as on a hub, they can act up sometimes.

:cool:

By playing up I mean... turning on and off by itself (it's powered into a surge protector) and generally losing port functionality now and again. This has something to do with me accidentally smashing it on the floor recently!

I have a Logitech mouse, Apple Pro Keyboard, Epson C60 and Agfa scanner plugged in to it.

Thanks for your response! Any thoughts on the USB 2.0 situation?