Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Dual G5, 2.0 GHz
M9032LL/A
PowerMac7,2
Memory: DDR, 400MHz (PC3200).

I have *stacks* of DDR 400 memory. The system doesn't recognize any of it.

Is something like just ordering new stuff from OWC my best option? (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/3200DDR2GBP/)
I'd hate to have to buy more DDR 400 ram when I have a shoebox full of the stuff.

Why wouldn't this system acknowledge the RAM? I tried unplugging it & letting it sit, resetting PRAM, resetting SMC, re-seating the RAM, moving the sticks to different slots, clean install of Mac OS X, etc.

It obviously needs more than "just" PC3200 RAM. The stock install had two sticks of 512MB, PC3200/CL3. What's the technical details of what it really needs? Low density?

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Dual G5, 2.0 GHz
M9032LL/A
PowerMac7,2
Memory: DDR, 400MHz (PC3200).

I have *stacks* of DDR 400 memory. The system doesn't recognize any of it.

Is something like just ordering new stuff from OWC my best option? (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/3200DDR2GBP/)
I'd hate to have to buy more DDR 400 ram when I have a shoebox full of the stuff.

Why wouldn't this system acknowledge the RAM? I tried unplugging it & letting it sit, resetting PRAM, resetting SMC, re-seating the RAM, moving the sticks to different slots, clean install of Mac OS X, etc.

It obviously needs more than "just" PC3200 RAM. The stock install had two sticks of 512MB, PC3200/CL3. What's the technical details of what it really needs? Low density?

yes it has to be matched low density RAM.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Identical means same brand and part number of ram, not just memory size.

The ram does not need to be the same brand or part number. As long as they are both the same size and speed, it'll work without a problem. You can even have one stick of ECC and one stick of non-ECC.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That is incorrect.

It works just fine in my G5. I accidentally ordered some ECC DDR ram a few years ago. Put in in my G5 and it works without a problem, but with the ECC feature disabled. All G5's can take ECC ram, they will just treat it as non-ECC. Good use for older server memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.