PDA

View Full Version : ipod time question on moving songs

dukebound85
Oct 22, 2005, 10:02 PM
does any body know how much time it takes them for the new ipod to transfer songs via usb1.1 since my not even 3year old computer doesnt have 2.0 which kinda blows hardcore. The reason I ask is because i have alot of music (8000
+) and I want to get my first ipod and just want to know how long it takes to get them on there. thanks for the replies

lostless
Oct 23, 2005, 02:53 PM
well quite a long time. i just got a new ipod and i have neary 2000 songs and it took about 10-15 minutes on usb 2 which is averagly around 400 Mb/s.
USB 1.1 runs about 12 Mb/s at when nothing else is running on that bus. Nearly 35x slower meaning my ipod would take lets just say at 10 min on usb 2 would take around 7 hours on USB 1.1 for my 2000 songs. These are all approximations and the math isnt perfect (i was in a hurry to calculate) and is all based on how big each song is encoded at, and other factors, buts gets the point accross.
my seggestion, buy a usb 2 card, they arnt that expensive

revisionA
Oct 23, 2005, 03:20 PM
Its taking like five minutes to fill a quarter of a shuffle over usb 1.1, I would NOT recommend you try to fill a 30gig ipod that way.

To answer your question it will take 32 times as long under optimal conditions based on the theoretical speed difference.

Get a pci usb 2.0 card for that system, its worth the change if you will do this regularly.

dukebound85
Oct 23, 2005, 06:19 PM
Is an emac capable of getting a usb 2 card? jw I have a 1ghz emac by the way.

Applespider
Oct 23, 2005, 06:26 PM
OK... my sister was in this boat with her 12 month old Mac when the new iPod minis came out.

The thing to consider is how often you're going to want to transfer all 8000 songs over. With a 30GB iPod, you'll probably transfer them all over initially and then add an album or two at a time. So yes, the first time, it will take hours (so you plug it in and leave it overnight) but after that, yes it will take longer than the 30 seconds or so that a FW or USB2 takes, but it should only take 10 minutes or so to transfer an album. Not brilliant but not too bad either.