PDA

View Full Version : Parent's finally switched!

yg17
Oct 22, 2005, 10:04 PM
Last year when I got my PowerMac, I loved it and wanted my parents to switch too. But, they were content with their PC that I built for them a few weeks back and didn't want to spend the money on a new computer when there's worked fine.

Well, today I wake up and the first thing my dad tells me is "HOLY CRAP THE COMPUTER JUST BLEW UP!" Well, "blew up" was probably a bit extreme, but apparentley, they went to turn it on and heard a loud pop, smelled smoke, and the computer didn't turn on. I poke around inside, find nothing out of the ordinary, and rather than troubleshoot and replace parts one by one until it boots, I come to the conclusion that the computer is completley ****ed and tell them they're better off buying a new computer. And despite the fact I have to re-teach them everything they ever learned about computers, I suggest a Mac and they agree. And my brother who knows a little bit about OSX and has wanted a Mac for a long time is excited too.

So off to the Apple Store it is. I pick out a Mac mini for them, the middle one (1.42GHz combo drive) which is more than enough for them. I pull it out of the box and they are just completley shocked by how small it was (hell, I was shocked too. It looks even tinyer sitting next to their mammoth PC). I start setting everything up, and just as expected, everything worked. We bought a new printer a couple months ago, and my dad remembers me fighting with Windows to get the damn thing to work. I plug it into the mini's USB port and 30 seconds later I have a test page coming out of the printer. I expected it to just work like that, but my dad was like "Holy crap its working already!" To transfer their files, I had to yank out their old hard drive and stick it into a USB enclosure. Upon realizing the drive was NTFS, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to transfer data, but to my surprise, OSX can read off an NTFS drive (just no writing) which was good enough for me.

My mom has already had her first lesson with OSX and loves it. Dad was busy tonight so he'll learn tomorrow, which should be interesting because he's sort of a technophobe and gets confused real easily. But I think he'll pick it up quickly, he just has to learn not to look for the big blue E for the internet. But if these 2 can learn how to use a Mac, then anyone can.

So we're nearly a Mac family. I just have to somehow get my sister to give up her brick of a Dell laptop. But seeing as how the laptop is only a couple months old and she likes it, she'll have it for awhile.

BTW, their box for the mini said 1.42GHz and 32mb vram. It's really 1.5GHz and 64mb vram, so they got the updated one.

Dr. Dastardly
Oct 22, 2005, 10:26 PM
Hey congrats on your convert. You never forget your first.:p

BTW, their box for the mini said 1.42GHz and 32mb vram. It's really 1.5GHz and 64mb vram, so they got the updated one.

Whats the deal with the upgraded minis in old boxes? Has anyone gotten to the bottom of that? Did Apple want to update them but had an abundence of old mini boxes and thought just get rid of them with the new minis?
"The market these are geared for wont even know what the specs mean!"

mad jew
Oct 22, 2005, 10:39 PM
Very nice work yg17. :)

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 10:54 PM
Congrats on getting them to switch yg17- a job well done! :)

yg17
Oct 22, 2005, 11:12 PM
"The market these are geared for wont even know what the specs mean!"

lol, probably. my parents would have no idea what a gigahertz or vram is

Chacala_Nayarit
Oct 23, 2005, 01:21 AM
Woot! Proud of you. :)

Yeah, my parents would not know what gigahertz, vram, DDR SDRAM, or any of that computer technology jargon. Even though, it's easy to learn.

Xeem
Oct 23, 2005, 02:12 AM
Woot! Proud of you. :)

Yeah, my parents would not know what gigahertz, vram, DDR SDRAM, or any of that computer technology jargon. Even though, it's easy to learn.

Not easy for those with no technological background. I can't teach my mom how to hook up a DVD player (and I've tried!!!!), much less explain to her what RAM is or anything even slightly specific when it comes to computers. She is a smart woman, but it is just so foreign to her that she may never understand it.

Edit: Almost forgot to say grats to yg17!!!

Blue Velvet
Oct 23, 2005, 02:50 AM
A good Christmas present would be this book:

OSX: the Missing Manual (Tiger Edition) by David Pogue.

Show them how user-friendly a book it is, keep it by the Mac and let them experiment and learn at their own pace. It may stop them running to you every time they need how to find to do something, thus empowering them and raising their interest in all things Mac.

Well done you... but I don't think I'll ask you to build a PC for me in the near future. :eek: :p :D

DaftUnion
Oct 23, 2005, 02:58 AM
Great detailed story. Brought a smile to my face.:)

bodeh6
Oct 23, 2005, 07:03 PM
I would like to know when they are planning on updating the specs of the mini to the new specs. What is wrong with Apple?

chucknorris
Oct 23, 2005, 07:26 PM
What's a "finally" anyway? And why is the OP bragging that the one belonging to his parents just switched?

mjstew33
Oct 23, 2005, 07:32 PM
I would like to know when they are planning on updating the specs of the mini to the new specs. What is wrong with Apple?
Good question.

Rather shocked you got a new one, really.

Lucky bastard, lol - I could never get my Mom to switch. I think that'll be changing when I get my iMac G5 :D

Nermal
Oct 23, 2005, 07:35 PM
What's a "finally" anyway? And why is the OP bragging that the one belonging to his parents just switched?

I find it easier to just post this :p

yg17
Oct 23, 2005, 10:21 PM

lol, whatever :D