PDA

View Full Version : Logic install/upgrade issues

aonghusc
Apr 6, 2013, 09:42 AM
Hi, I recently bought a shiny new MacBook Pro and want to install Logic 7 (then upgrade to 9) on it but am having issues due to PowerPC architecture no longer being supported and was wondering if there is a way around this?

I previously ran Logic 7 on my PowerPc G5 (G5 c2003, Logic 7 c2006) and still have this set up running too.

Many thanks in advance. Aonghus

Boyd01
Apr 6, 2013, 11:16 AM
I don't know that an "upgrade" makes much sense (or if it's even possible anymore). The full version of Logic 9 only costs $200 at the app store. That's in line with what Apple used to charge for upgrades (maybe even less?).

As far as installing your old version, is it a universal application? When I got a new MBA I wasn't able to install my old version of Final Cut Studio from the original disks. But that was due to the *installers* requiring Rosetta and not the actual programs.

The solution was simple; just copied the program and all its support files from my old computer. That worked fine for me. I don't know anything about Logic 7, but if it's a universal app I think this will work. Otherwise I think you're out of luck.

BigRed1
Apr 6, 2013, 05:03 PM
Get a firewire cable. Connect both computers. Use Migration assistant to transfer over files, settings and applications. It's a beautiful thing.

spoonie1972
Apr 7, 2013, 07:29 AM
logic 7 works and installed on intel no problem. i believe it has to be v 7.2.x to work on intel.

also - you might be limited to running it on Leopard. Apple has a history of locking out software that "could" run on something simply so users keep pace.

aonghusc
Apr 8, 2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Will give these a go. Cheers, Aonghus :)