PDA

View Full Version : Is this how the fingerprint scanning going to look like on iOS 7?

vaio1990
Apr 6, 2013, 10:14 AM
I am really hoping this will be coming on the next generation iPhone 5S.. This will shut all the naysayers about Apple not being innovative anymore

LM-0EbS2O38

NT1440
Apr 6, 2013, 10:24 AM
God I hope not, thats terribly unergonomic.

How about putting the scanner behind the screen and integrate it into the "slide to unlock" gesture?

Krazy Bill
Apr 6, 2013, 11:05 AM
It will look like it's not even there because it probably won't be.

vaio1990
Apr 6, 2013, 11:16 AM
Well... What about the rumors that the iOS 7 got delayed due to some sort of biometric feature then?

madsci954
Apr 6, 2013, 11:41 AM
Well... What about the rumors that the iOS 7 got delayed due to some sort of biometric feature then?

It was "rumored" to be pushed back. As for the fingerprint scanner, this is the first I heard this is the reason for the alleged delay.

vaio1990
Apr 6, 2013, 12:07 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/02/ios-7-running-behind-rumored-to-have-significant-visual-makeover/

As for what could be on the iPhone 5S, both Siegler and Panzarino say they've heard a lot about biometrics on the new device. The feature would apparently be used for payments and identification. Panzarino notes it wouldn't be surprising to see AuthenTec's biometric technology in Apple devices so soon after Apple purchased the company last July because of the urgency of the deal.

Finally, Siegler says he's heard "a whisper" that Apple's Passbook team is due for a shakeup and is in "shambles," though Ritchie points out that Forstall's departure could be the reason for the Passbook team's troubles.

Simplicated
Apr 6, 2013, 01:03 PM
This will shut all the naysayers about Apple not being innovative anymore

No matter what Apple does, some analysts will always claim Apple has run out of ideas (e.g. they'll say fingerprint scanning has existed for ages), providing utterly ridiculous reasons (e.g. Steve has passed away) to back the claims.

Mrg02d
Apr 6, 2013, 01:09 PM
Did I spy some naughty pictures in that guys gallery?:eek::D

vaio1990
Apr 6, 2013, 01:23 PM

Haha yea thats why he had to use security lock for it

canucksfan88
Apr 7, 2013, 02:37 AM
that would be annoying as hell.

let me add that to my calendar. excuse me a moment while i swipe my phone awkwardly on the bottom to unlock....

VulchR
Apr 7, 2013, 10:56 AM
This will show up on Android way before it appears on iOS. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing for iOS....

jeffe
Apr 7, 2013, 12:28 PM
I am really hoping this will be coming on the next generation iPhone 5S.. This will shut all the naysayers about Apple not being innovative anymore

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LM-0EbS2O38)

Well, the Motorola Atrix (Android phone) had a fingerprint scanner that was used to unlock the phone and I believe Apple bought the company that supplied it's parts. I don't see this as Apple being innovative rather than Apple making a smart purchase to prevent Android manufacturers from using this cool technology. The Motorola Atrix was released in 2011.

white4s
Apr 8, 2013, 07:25 AM
i keep reading about the home button doubling as the fingerprint sensor, nice and simple

iPad5
Apr 9, 2013, 07:25 PM
i keep reading about the home button doubling as the fingerprint sensor, nice and simple

Wow this is going to be sick if really gets implemented!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Z7twlD-5Y

white4s
Apr 10, 2013, 06:51 AM
Wow this is going to be sick if really gets implemented!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Z7twlD-5Y

yup. i read up on iphoneforums.net and here everyday and there are plenty of rumors of that happening. i think it's a genius and simple idea. no rolling down of your finger like the other video on here, just simply pressing it.

iPad5
Apr 14, 2013, 03:59 PM
This looks legit! NFC pleaseee

MattInOz
Apr 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
The sensor company they purchased can pick up the print of various parts of the hand.
Why have the sensor on the front?

Put in on the back in the lower window part of your hand will touch it when ever you handle the phone. If it doesn't, like phone is on bench or dock, then those times you could type code.

thewitt
Apr 14, 2013, 11:29 PM
The sensor company they purchased can pick up the print of various parts of the hand.
Why have the sensor on the front?

Put in on the back in the lower window part of your hand will touch it when ever you handle the phone. If it doesn't, like phone is on bench or dock, then those times you could type code.

Because 80% of iPhone owners use cases.... Not a good option.

MVallee
Apr 14, 2013, 11:47 PM
Even though in this video it's demonstrated swiping from top to bottom I could see Apple making this a little more ergonomic with swiping left to right (or right to left for left handed people). Just hold your iPhone in on hand and try swiping your thumb turned sideways across the home button. It's just as easy as "swipe to unlock". Also for people who don't want this on their phones, I'm sure it won't be mandatory, just like passcode unlocks are not mandatory. Personally, I think this is a great idea.

Tallguy93
Apr 15, 2013, 10:37 AM
Even though in this video it's demonstrated swiping from top to bottom I could see Apple making this a little more ergonomic with swiping left to right (or right to left for left handed people). Just hold your iPhone in on hand and try swiping your thumb turned sideways across the home button. It's just as easy as "swipe to unlock". Also for people who don't want this on their phones, I'm sure it won't be mandatory, just like passcode unlocks are not mandatory. Personally, I think this is a great idea.

What would be cooler is that you just hold your finger against the screen. One can dream....:D

MattInOz
Apr 15, 2013, 11:54 PM
Because 80% of iPhone owners use cases.... Not a good option.

You can't let cases get in the way of innovation.

Although given the tech is just touch sensors are very high density, just under a commonly touched part of the screen would be the coolest.

As good as figureprint might be for security, a touch sensor that can see a 3d shape of a pointer touching or even just above the screen could be a far more interesting development to come out of that purchase.

Sirious
Apr 16, 2013, 06:57 AM
It will look like it's not even there because it probably won't be.

Best comment I have ever seen.
The best thing about it is that it probably will be true!

To add the reader, a redesign may be nessesary. Since we're not expecting HUGE design changes in the iPhone 5S, we might not see it until the 2014 model.

Kilamite
May 3, 2013, 09:57 AM
How about putting the scanner behind the screen and integrate it into the "slide to unlock" gesture?

That's a fantastic idea of having it integrated into the slide to unlock. Goodbye pass codes (unless you have a cut on your finger).

TouchMint.com
May 3, 2013, 11:38 AM
That's a fantastic idea of having it integrated into the slide to unlock. Goodbye pass codes (unless you have a cut on your finger).

I am guessing you will register quite a few fingers in case of a cut or lost hand or something.

charlituna
May 3, 2013, 11:53 AM

Rumor that it was ever meant to come out before Fall, rumors that it's behind which is why they put Mac OS engineers on it (versus perhaps having a couple on loan to be fresh eyes to look for possible buggy code). rumor that they are going to be putting in a fingerprint sensor ever. rumor it is this year.

hate to say it folks but at this point and perhaps for the near future they might be using this tech merely to tell the difference between a tapping finger and a resting one to improve detecting false hits and not reacting to them. NOT for security, especially

----------

What would be cooler is that you just hold your finger against the screen. One can dream....:D

Companies are working on in cell tech that would put the touch sensors on the same level as the display pixels so when that matures yes you could do it on the screen rather easily.

And at that point is when I can see Apple considering adding fingerprints as a bonus level of security. Until then I still say this is about muting false hits from thumbs on the sides etc. so they can reduce the dead zone border but still get the effect without developers having to create a dead zone themselves. For games this can be annoying if there's a stretch where taps etc dont work cause of a muted border for holding the iPad/iPhone. The Mini has this flexible zone to a degree already so it makes sense that it would move to all devices

LIVEFRMNYC
May 5, 2013, 09:36 PM
Using any other finger besides the thumb would be annoying as it would take two hands. Which means your thumb would need to be set to home screen, being that you would use it to unlock the most.

retroneo
May 8, 2013, 12:21 AM
Apple sold off the fingerprint sensor division of Authentec to DigitalPersona.

Makes me wonder if they are getting the touchscreen to do the sensing instead.

---

DigitalPersona acquires sensor device business from AuthenTec/Upek

DigitalPersona, the well-established provider of optical fingerprint sensor components, has taken over the high-quality capacitive sensor device business from AuthenTec.

http://authentec.com/Products/TouchChips/SensorsandModules.aspx

--

Top1Dog525
May 8, 2013, 12:28 PM
IF... and thats a big IF... they put a finger print scanner/reader on the new iPhone I think that it would work best (for right hand users) on the side of the phone, either mid-top or mid-bottom with the scanner small and horizontal. That way you could hold your phone like normal, swipe your thumb on the scanner and never have to move the phone away from you or hold it awkwardly to unlock it... Just a thought.

Defender2010
May 8, 2013, 03:04 PM
IF... and thats a big IF... they put a finger print scanner/reader on the new iPhone I think that it would work best (for right hand users) on the side of the phone, either mid-top or mid-bottom with the scanner small and horizontal. That way you could hold your phone like normal, swipe your thumb on the scanner and never have to move the phone away from you or hold it awkwardly to unlock it... Just a thought.

I don't think Apple would discriminate against us left handers ;) , plus, by placing it on the side of the phone and not embedded in the famous home button, it would lack the magic...the home button is something needing an upgrade. What's better than putting magic inside it?

Top1Dog525
May 12, 2013, 02:46 PM
I don't think Apple would discriminate against us left handers ;) , plus, by placing it on the side of the phone and not embedded in the famous home button, it would lack the magic...the home button is something needing an upgrade. What's better than putting magic inside it?

This is true and I definitely would't mind seeing a finger print scanner become integrated into the home button. However, other than integrating the scanner into the home button I don't think I would alter the home button much... it has a simple function and therefore should have a simple design.

cynics
May 12, 2013, 05:26 PM
I am guessing you will register quite a few fingers in case of a cut or lost hand or something.

I imagine it will be a redundant system. Kind of like Androids facial recognition. You can use facial recognition OR a password.

This would work well because then you could use a long complicated passlock it the event you can't use the finger that was scanned.

Personally for me a fingerprint scanner is Apple fixing a problem that doesn't exist. A 4 key pin is fine by me, I hope these resources are used somewhere else.

Damolee
May 12, 2013, 11:21 PM
This would be a ridiculous fad that will get disabled on 70% of people's phones once they get bored with it.

Just the same as facial recognition, voice recognition type unlocks.

They need to be worried about updating their OS, not messing about with this nonsense.

rMBA13
May 14, 2013, 01:42 AM
This would be a ridiculous fad that will get disabled on 70% of people's phones once they get bored with it.

They need to be worried about updating their OS, not messing about with this nonsense.

But apparently Paypal security chief would disagree with you there... http://m.tuaw.com/2013/05/13/paypal-security-chief-wants-more-fingerprints-fewer-passwords-i/

Prototypical
May 15, 2013, 12:56 PM

Good point... Whatever happened with Android's facial recognition feature? It was a big deal when 4.1 (?) was released, but nobody ever really talked about it after that. Another pointless feature, I guess?

pod5g
May 16, 2013, 05:05 PM
This will show up on Android way before it appears on iOS. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing for iOS....

Well, both steal ideas from each other. Apple took the Notification Center and SMS Replies, didn't they.

topper24hours
May 17, 2013, 01:47 AM

---

DigitalPersona, the well-established provider of optical fingerprint sensor components, has taken over the high-quality capacitive sensor device business from AuthenTec.

--

I believe it's actually the opposite.. Apple only KEPT the fingerprint sensor division & sold off their embedded systems division. The big use on iPad would be multiuser support.. currently not available on iOS OR Android. On iPhone it would be not typing in your four digit pin 100+ times per day, every time you get a notification. The commerce aspects, I suspect will take a few iterations to fully blossom.

Gutwrench
May 17, 2013, 05:56 AM
Since my personal phone also doubles as an enterprise device I'm subject to my company's security policies. I'm wondering how this would integrate with the present complex password and what, if any, changes would be required on the enterprise side to utilize this?

SatManager
May 18, 2013, 03:31 PM
Since my personal phone also doubles as an enterprise device I'm subject to my company's security policies. I'm wondering how this would integrate with the present complex password and what, if any, changes would be required on the enterprise side to utilize this?

I would think that a fingerprint would suffice for a complex password or they could require the use of the fingerprint and a simple 4 digit passcode. It would depend on how Apple implements the fingerprint sensor and code into iOS and of course your company's security policy once they review everything.

KenAFSPC
May 19, 2013, 03:31 AM
Personally for me a fingerprint scanner is Apple fixing a problem that doesn't exist. A 4 key pin is fine by me, I hope these resources are used somewhere else.Most corporate and government users must type in a long alphanumeric password on top of the 4-digit pin every time they want to use their iPhone. It gets old fast, believe me.

Since my personal phone also doubles as an enterprise device I'm subject to my company's security policies. I'm wondering how this would integrate with the present complex password and what, if any, changes would be required on the enterprise side to utilize this?Fingerprint scanning is unnecessary as an unlock mechanism for consumers. Rather, it should:

eliminate the long alphanumeric passwords currently required by government and corporate networks (on top of the standard unlock code), significantly improving usability;

provide secure authentication for mobile payments, including purchases from the Apple Store, as well as wireless payments made to vendors using near field communication or Bluetooth;

simplify web login/password entry for the web, whereby a fingerprint scan would populate the user's login information from a secure password application in Safari;

simplify (eliminate) login/password entry for third-party iOS7-compatible applications, by allowing third-party developers to substitute fingerprints for passwords;

provide seamless multi-user support, which would benefit home users, as well as corporations and governments, that share one device (e.g., iPad, future Macbooks) among multiple users.
For those concerned about privacy, keep in mind that your fingerprint and associated biometric data would be used to generate a unique, Apple-proprietary digital decryption key (I.e., a long string of 1s and 0s) that is probably specific/unique to your device. Your actual fingerprint would not be stored on the device, and no application or server would get your fingerprint. No third-party application would be able to see or access the fingerprint reader, much less the Apple-generated key, directly. Apple could change how the fingerprint key is calculated in a future iOS release.

BvizioN
May 19, 2013, 04:18 AM
Good point... Whatever happened with Android's facial recognition feature? It was a big deal when 4.1 (?) was released, but nobody ever really talked about it after that. Another pointless feature, I guess?

I don't understand this face recognition feature!!
Wouldn't the phone recognise a "photo" of a phone owner placed on the fron of the camera and unlock the phone on the wrong hands?

Fingerprint on the other hand.... unless you cut it off!!

----------

Well, both steal ideas from each other. Apple took the Notification Center and SMS Replies, didn't they.

It was not Google the inveted of Notification centre. Think back....

Heater
May 19, 2013, 09:34 AM
I don't need my fingerprint to "unrock" my phone.

blitzer09x87
May 19, 2013, 09:53 AM
hmmm... nice. i hope iphone 5s gets this feature.

ppeyton1143
May 19, 2013, 02:13 PM
eew! i hope the iphone 5s scans the fingerprint through screen.

beaniemyman
May 20, 2013, 10:01 AM

yep, there is no need of fingerprint scanners on phones, face recognition is enough.

KenAFSPC
May 21, 2013, 05:19 AM
yep, there is no need of fingerprint scanners on phones, face recognition is enough.Ehh? Face recognition is worthless. You can defeat the face recognition on current devices with a photo. That's not a technology you want protecting your credit cards or bank accounts.

otismotive77
May 21, 2013, 06:51 AM
eew! i hope the iphone 5s scans the fingerprint through screen.

yep, i hope that the iphone 5S scans the fingerprint through screen, that'd be awesome.

cheesesteak22
May 22, 2013, 09:21 PM
I think the utility of the fingerprint scanner will extend beyond the lock screen. I think that IF the fingerprint scanner is integrated (Maybe even within a new kind of home button (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/14/sketchy-rumor-claims-sapphire-covered-capacitive-home-button-for-iphone-5s/)), the real utility would be if they finally bring Keychain onto the iPhone/iPad. Imagine never having to type a stored login/password into websites on mobile safari?

I also think that given their push into enterprise and competition from samsung's Knox, they would be able to gain a big time stronghold on the market if they can get it to work right.

Then again this might (probably will) be one of the many high profile rumors that never pans out. Personally I'd like to see them add that haptics technology from senseg to make individual keys on the keyboard have texture.

emptysoul
May 22, 2013, 09:54 PM

How is doing something that somebody else is already doing "innovative"?

Fingerprint security has been around for years on laptops and at least 2 years on mobile phones.

Gymgenius
May 23, 2013, 04:52 AM
yep, i hope that the iphone 5S scans the fingerprint through screen, that'd be awesome.

They could keep the 'slide to unlock', and make the screen read the print of whatever digit is doing the sliding, as it's sliding.

Add in an orientation switch, so righties can swipe left to right and lefties could swipe right to left.

Anyone other than the owner of the phone would be sliding and swiping furiously yet the phone would stoically remain locked for them. :cool:

daviddth
May 23, 2013, 06:14 PM

I can see it now, person loses a finger or two in an industrial accident but they are taken to hospital not to be reattached, but so he can unlock his iPhone :eek:

spacehog371
May 23, 2013, 09:19 PM

---

--

They sold off Embeded Security Solutions which was owned by Authentec.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/11/19/apple-owned-authentec-sells-its-embedded-security-solutions-division-to-inside-secure-for-48-million/

I can't find a single credible source that says they sold off the sensor business. Given that all they retained of Authentec was the sensor business, it wouldn't make any sense for that to happen.

Gutwrench
May 24, 2013, 11:49 AM
I don't need my fingerprint to "unrock" my phone.

Complex pw's are a pain to unlock when walking to/fm meetings or when driving. Something faster and easily would be welcomed.

Heater
May 29, 2013, 06:25 PM
Complex pw's are a pain to unlock when walking to/fm meetings or when driving. Something faster and easily would be welcomed.

Clearly you miss the sarcasm in my "unRock" my phone.

Michael CM1
May 29, 2013, 11:08 PM

Not sure about that, but "unrocking" the handset got to bugging me quicker than Jony Ive's "aluminium." Plus I don't want to "unrock" all my AC/DC songs, man!

moonman239
May 30, 2013, 09:10 PM
Forget fingerprint scanners. The one on "my" Atrix sometimes, if not always, required me to swipe multiple times before the phone would unlock.

If anything, iOS7 should include face recognition. There's an Android phone that uses the front facing camera to detect your face. It can even tell if its looking at your face and not a photo of it. I want that on my iPhone 4S.

NT1440
May 30, 2013, 09:12 PM

Well, well, looky here...

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/05/apple-invents-a-wild-new-display-that-could-conceal-a-camera-strobe-flash-andor-fingerprint-scanner-until-needed.html

Everyone saw this coming ;)

Gutwrench
May 31, 2013, 05:25 AM
Clearly you miss the sarcasm in my "unRock" my phone.

Clearly, sorry. I guess I was too focused on wanting a solution to a problem I see with complex pw's.

MonkeySee....
May 31, 2013, 08:09 AM
The way he locks pictures using his finger print is bloody genius.

otismotive77
May 31, 2013, 10:27 AM
Well, well, looky here...

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/05/apple-invents-a-wild-new-display-that-could-conceal-a-camera-strobe-flash-andor-fingerprint-scanner-until-needed.html

Everyone saw this coming ;)

:eek::Di hope this thing comes true and we see it in the iphone 5s.
i'd definitely buy the iphone5s if it uses that kind of display.

isoft7
May 31, 2013, 11:40 AM
Fingerprint scanning on your cell phone is a gimmick... it's just like the face recognition unlock built into Android, total gimmick.

Sure it's a "cool toy" for a few days, but then everyone disables it and goes back to a simple swipe or passcode.

The fingerprint to unlock, or whatever, will suffer the same fate. First time your finger is dirty from cheetos and the phone won't unlock because of it, you'll disable it.

Personally I hope Apple does not implement a bunch of gimmicky "innovations" just to look "progressive".

Instead, focus on speed, stability, BATTERY LIFE and user customization.

Keep the phones fast, no lags, no delays, never should the user experience a hang or a crash... get us 10+ hours of screen on time and most importantly, let the user change the look and feel of iOS. Themes, custom icons, animated wallpapers, etc.

...most importantly, UNSIGNED CODE!

Those things would be all Apple needs to show the world they're listening and not afraid to respond.

Not fingerprint scanning.

johndallas999
May 31, 2013, 02:31 PM

Un-Rock the handset?:D

----------

Not sure about that, but "unrocking" the handset got to bugging me quicker than Jony Ive's "aluminium." Plus I don't want to "unrock" all my AC/DC songs, man!

LOL, no joke hearing someone pronounce aluminum as Al-lou-min-e-um" is so funny. Come on people!

KenAFSPC
May 31, 2013, 05:54 PM
Fingerprint scanning on your cell phone is a gimmick... it's just like the face recognition unlock built into Android, total gimmick.

Sure it's a "cool toy" for a few days, but then everyone disables it and goes back to a simple swipe or passcode.

The fingerprint to unlock, or whatever, will suffer the same fate. First time your finger is dirty from cheetos and the phone won't unlock because of it, you'll disable it.

Personally I hope Apple does not implement a bunch of gimmicky "innovations" just to look "progressive".
Clearly you don't work for a large corporation or government agency that requires you to enter a 10-20 character, case sensitive alphanumeric password every time you unlock your phone to check your email, contacts, calendar, make a phone call, or send a message. User customization is the last thing these customers care about.

The first company that figures out a real solution to this problem is going to make billions from these customers. A fingerprint scanner, if properly implemented, could be this solution.

NT1440
May 31, 2013, 08:39 PM
:eek::Di hope this thing comes true and we see it in the iphone 5s.
i'd definitely buy the iphone5s if it uses that kind of display.

I'm thinking it will actually be in iphone 6, right around the same time the technology to place the camera behind the screen matures. That will be a game changer for FaceTime or videochats, no more eerily looking past the other person (as you have to look up at the camera) you'll actually be making eye contact between two devices.

isoft7
May 31, 2013, 11:50 PM
Clearly you don't work for a large corporation or government agency that requires you to enter a 10-20 character, case sensitive alphanumeric password every time you unlock your phone to check your email, contacts, calendar, make a phone call, or send a message. User customization is the last thing these customers care about.

The first company that figures out a real solution to this problem is going to make billions from these customers. A fingerprint scanner, if properly implemented, could be this solution.

I have worked for several very large corporations... so large in fact, one of them was apple. :D

Anyways, in the cases of corporate phones, I was generally provided a blackberry for my communications device. And with those phones, no passwords were required at all, only digital rights to access and erase all data at the will of IT.

Now everyone has moved onto iPhones or Android devices, and again, in none of those experiences have I been required to have passwords of any kind (beyond that of the exchange server).

lewismayell
Jun 1, 2013, 09:07 AM
Why the **** did he select his first finger and then use his thumb, what a plank

msz7
Jun 1, 2013, 10:24 AM
As long as iOS 7 is fresh, fixes some problems, and has some great new features, I think the iPhone still has a chance. If the next iPhone has the rumored fingerprint scanner in the screen (read "slide to unlock,") I think it'll once again be the best phone in the world (even though I still think the iPhone 5 is better than the S4 but whatever.)