PDA

View Full Version : Most wanted innovation for MBA

blabliblu
Apr 6, 2013, 10:34 AM
Imagine a world where Steve Jobs would still be alive
Imagine a world where consumers were smart and fanboys didn't exist.

In short : Imagine a world where Apple was still innovating.

What would be the first thing or the top order of innovations you would like to see in a Macbook Air?

There's a poll of most current and wanted propositions but you can add yours.

[UPDATE] As you know you can't edit a poll so here are the most wanted "Other" features (by the way I'm talking about new/innovative feature, not update or spec bumps)
- Thinner Bezel
- Touch Screen
- Hybrid Screen (detachable like a Tablet)
- Wireless charging
- New battery technology

Boyd01
Apr 6, 2013, 11:10 AM
Nothing on your list would interest me or cause me to upgrade from my 2011 MBA. All I would want in the next model would be a faster processor, more RAM and a bigger SSD. The 2012 models have already provided this, so the other thing would be to just lower the cost.

And if nobody is going to make any affordable Thunderbolt devices, maybe they should just go back to firewire? :p

Michael Goff
Apr 6, 2013, 11:13 AM
The battery life could be better, which is both a software and hardware issue. I don't think we've had any huge breakthroughs in battery technology.

Cidtek
Apr 6, 2013, 11:18 AM
Micro HDMI port would work for me

Mrbobb
Apr 6, 2013, 12:29 PM
None of the above, something more modest:

Retina with HD5000. Same battery or better, same heat dissipation or even more efficient.

Personally a 12.2" screen. Somehow that's the perfect compromise for me.

TC25
Apr 6, 2013, 01:34 PM
Vote: Other
Comments: Who cares, it will be what it will be.

PilotWoo
Apr 6, 2013, 01:43 PM
Touchscreen, supported by 10.9.

ChristianJapan
Apr 7, 2013, 02:29 AM
I want the mainboard and battery move behind a touch screen and make the keyboard detachable ... E voila: a Mac OS X Tablet.

And I know: will not get it anytime soon

HurryKayne
Apr 7, 2013, 02:42 AM
I want a Quad core...but its just on my wish list i know.
In the meanwhile ,is anyone able to tell me which Gpu will next Air going to have?
I see GT2,GT3,5100,5200...in many articles is written that that the better one will land just with quad core..and Air is not.
I could agree with a dual core Air with 5100-5200 not with a 4200,4400,4600..
i want something small and powerful with a decent Gpu.
The 13 MacBook Pro isn't then the right one..not without a dedicated Gpu..not with a dual core still,
so...maybe its all delayed for my wallet and me,to 2014,maybe with a real quad core in all the notebooks line,from Air to Pro,with the new Falcon Ridge Thunderbolt Ports.
Am i dreaming too much?

BenTrovato
Apr 7, 2013, 11:15 AM
For Air's I would want better battery life and better material constructs including a better screen. If I needed more performance I would have went for the MBP.

MacBird
Apr 7, 2013, 06:02 PM
I would like to see an IPS display and smaller bezel but definitely no retina to maintain good battery life and low temperature of the case, particularly at the bottom.

dbroncos78087
Apr 7, 2013, 10:39 PM
Even though I am already stunned at how light my MBA air, I selected it from the list of options. Perhaps a second TB port on it like on the MBPs but really I think that's all I would want different so far.

macs4nw
Apr 7, 2013, 11:31 PM
Battery life is not the greatest, but it hasn't been much of a problem for me, as I use it about 60-70% of the time on my desk, while plugged-in.

My maxed-out 13" Air is a dream machine to use as it is, but if I had to come up with anything at all, my two wishes are Haswell and 802.11ac. If they could, with or without Retina, cram a 14" display in that 13" model, with a thinner bezel, without making it appreciably heavier, that would be icing on the cake!

blabliblu
Apr 8, 2013, 06:19 AM
I want a Quad core...but its just on my wish list i know.
In the meanwhile ,is anyone able to tell me which Gpu will next Air going to have?
I see GT2,GT3,5100,5200...in many articles is written that that the better one will land just with quad core..and Air is not.
I could agree with a dual core Air with 5100-5200 not with a 4200,4400,4600..
i want something small and powerful with a decent Gpu.
The 13 MacBook Pro isn't then the right one..not without a dedicated Gpu..not with a dual core still,
so...maybe its all delayed for my wallet and me,to 2014,maybe with a real quad core in all the notebooks line,from Air to Pro,with the new Falcon Ridge Thunderbolt Ports.
Am i dreaming too much?

The 5000 serie is the high end Intel HD card so it's unlikely we get it. It will probably be in the GT2 4000 serie

ratboy90
Apr 8, 2013, 10:36 AM
HDMI would be nice but not necessary. From that list I went with 3G antenna.

Jobsian
Apr 8, 2013, 11:47 AM
Battery life

jdechko
Apr 8, 2013, 12:15 PM
Haswell (and associated gains in battery life) and 128GB starting point in the 11".

thrilllho
Apr 8, 2013, 01:24 PM
Stick a larger screen in the same chassis. Go from 11"->12" and 13->14" in the same footprint. Instant WIN.

blabliblu
Apr 10, 2013, 08:42 AM
Pre-results, people are looking forward too :

1. 3G/4G antenna slot (clearly a business opportunity but not coming soon)
2. Lighter material (which mean redisign, probably not coming until OSX 10.9 or 11)
3. Wifi AC standard (very likely to be in a next update)

Other interesting wanted feature I see a lot are

1. Better, way better battery (needs new technology or engineering, so not coming soon)
2. Smaller bezel (which means redesign as well)
3. Different screen size (ie. redisign)

DisplacedMic
Apr 10, 2013, 09:37 PM
I want the mainboard and battery move behind a touch screen and make the keyboard detachable ... E voila: a Mac OS X Tablet.

And I know: will not get it anytime soon

hackintosh surface?

Miat
Apr 11, 2013, 01:56 AM
Voted for WiFi upgrade, but a 4G antenna port is a close second.

Santabean2000
Apr 11, 2013, 04:48 AM
Retina IPS + same or better battery life = no.1 'need'.

Satori
Apr 11, 2013, 06:37 AM
Everything on the list, plus the moon on a stick!

Vairamuthu
Apr 11, 2013, 06:48 AM
Wireless charging . This would make MBA a perfect mobile device.

ChristianJapan
Apr 11, 2013, 09:14 AM
hackintosh surface?

Call me stubborn but I would prefer a version with an Apple on it ...just less trouble and sure that upgrades go easy through. A MBT (Mac Book Tablet) would be just too good

DisplacedMic
Apr 11, 2013, 09:17 AM
Wireless charging . This would make MBA a perfect mobile device.

that would be cool. you mean like a powermat?

----------

Call me stubborn but I would prefer a version with an Apple on it ...just less trouble and sure that upgrades go easy through. A MBT (Mac Book Tablet) would be just too good

i hear you. what i want, and what i have wanted all along, is a macbook with a touchscreen. the surface is still using what looks like to be a crappy OS btu i think it's a step in the right direction. i love that keyboard too!

maybe apple will take over and do it right ;)

EmaDaCuz
Apr 11, 2013, 12:01 PM
3G antenna would be welcome, as a larger trackpad.
But what I would like to see the most is a microSD slot on the 11" (and an addition HDMI port).

notjustjay
Apr 11, 2013, 12:22 PM
If I could have a custom-ordered fantasy MacBook Air (constrained by the limits of today's technology, of course):

1. Better battery life. "Up to" 5 or 7 hours for the 11" or 13" MBA is no longer amazing. Windows ultraportables are eking out 7, 9, 11, even upwards of 16 hours of battery life. I would gladly accept an Air that was a fraction thicker in exchange for a few more hours of use.

2. Bigger SSD. 128 GB is too small.

I'd be perfectly happy to stop there, but as long as we're fantasizing, well, have a look at some of the Windows 8 convertibles that are coming out, like the Samsung ATIV Pro, Lenovo Thinkpad Helix, etc. A touchscreen, pen-input convertible MBA which becomes an OS X tablet when you detach the keyboard would be pretty cool.

PinkyMacGodess
Apr 11, 2013, 12:40 PM
Blu-ray support?

DisplacedMic
Apr 11, 2013, 12:48 PM
3G antenna would be welcome, as a larger trackpad.
But what I would like to see the most is a microSD slot on the 11" (and an addition HDMI port).

that'll be rough without changing the form-factor... the slope makes that hard

k995
Apr 11, 2013, 04:30 PM
Imagine a world where Steve Jobs would still be alive
Imagine a world where consumers were smart and fanboys didn't exist.

In short : Imagine a world where Apple was still innovating.

What would be the first thing or the top order of innovations you would like to see in a Macbook Air?

There's a poll of most current and wanted propositions but you can add yours.

Innovate? They just need to catchup with other manufacturers. The screen for example is getting quite dated. It should be an IPS screen (no matter what resolution) to not drop to the bottom. retina IPS to be once more in the top

Plenty of 11" laptop now have 190pixels/inch very close to the 220 of the retina displays, so a FULL HD IPS screen would put them back at the top.

sk2sep2304
Apr 11, 2013, 08:30 PM
As a new owner of a 11"(3 day old refurb 2012), retina screen and either smaller body or bigger screen. The thick border around the screen makes it look toy like and cheap.

XoFu
Apr 12, 2013, 07:29 AM
To live to the PORTABILITY label battery is essential. I just want a MBA that is not portable to the next power socket! :D

notjustjay
Apr 12, 2013, 10:22 AM
Blu-ray support?

Isn't that as simple as buying an external Bluray drive? The MBA doesn't have any optical drive anyway...

Saturn1217
Apr 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
As many others have posted I don't really want most of the features you suggested.

I just want much improved battery life. (think iPad like battery-life). Whenever this is technically possible I will upgrade.

I also wouldn't mind the computer getting lighter (as long as this doesn't impact performance or battery life). I say this only because what I would really like is a 13" MBA that was more similar in weight and size to the 11" MBA. But there is nothing wrong with the current size.

An option for 3G/4G connectivity would be nice for some but I would never pay extra for this. I'd rather just tether to my phone when I need to.

If I am thinking super crazy distant future ideal world I would like to have the MBA look exactly like it looks now but the screen be detachable so that it can be used as a tablet (of course in this ideal world there would be a touch optimized version of OSX that is by some miracle just as functional as OSX is now). That way I could have the convenience of doing consumption activities (such as reading pdfs) along with more productive activities without having to worry about syncing between different devices. But like I said this is a dream for the future maybe 10 years from now when the technology is there to do it right.

DisplacedMic
Apr 13, 2013, 09:55 AM
As many others have posted I don't really want most of the features you suggested.

I just want much improved battery life. (think iPad like battery-life). Whenever this is technically possible I will upgrade.

I also wouldn't mind the computer getting lighter (as long as this doesn't impact performance or battery life). I say this only because what I would really like is a 13" MBA that was more similar in weight and size to the 11" MBA. But there is nothing wrong with the current size.

An option for 3G/4G connectivity would be nice for some but I would never pay extra for this. I'd rather just tether to my phone when I need to.

If I am thinking super crazy distant future ideal world I would like to have the MBA look exactly like it looks now but the screen be detachable so that it can be used as a tablet (of course in this ideal world there would be a touch optimized version of OSX that is by some miracle just as functional as OSX is now). That way I could have the convenience of doing consumption activities (such as reading pdfs) along with more productive activities without having to worry about syncing between different devices. But like I said this is a dream for the future maybe 10 years from now when the technology is there to do it right.

glad i'm not the only one.... i was accused of working for Apple when I pointed out that really the only thing i'd really like to see is longer battery life - especially on the 11"

that's why i don't care about retina, or being able to control it with eye gesture etc.

LiveinRiot
Apr 13, 2013, 03:46 PM
Just more lighter, and thinner; and IPS screen of the 900p.

PinkyMacGodess
Apr 13, 2013, 04:28 PM
Isn't that as simple as buying an external Bluray drive? The MBA doesn't have any optical drive anyway...

I think you still need drivers for the drive. There has to be some level on OS support. I've never tried one yet, although I could toss one in my Mac Pro I guess...

slenpree
Apr 13, 2013, 06:12 PM
Most of my suggestions are to increase the practicality of the device.

On the 11" one, in order of preference:

1) keep the 1366x768 resolution but make it IPS LED with an anti-glare film (no glass or thick glossy plastic - this should also help with the weight).

2) intel haswell CPU/GPU combo

3) removable battery

4) two thunderbolt ports, not just the one. This is so when it is docked to a computer monitor with like a DisplayPort to HDMI/VGA/DVI adapter, thunderbolt can still be used.

5) 3G/4G modem + antenna built-in

kwiiboy
Apr 13, 2013, 08:43 PM
Battery life, HDMI, better screen, new design, faster performance, price drop for the lower ends to compete with PC prices ($799-$899?) in order of importance IMO.

Bear
Apr 14, 2013, 08:11 AM
Other: A better keyboard. I don't like the feel of the keyboard on the Air.

And while going to the new WiFi standard would be good, I don't think it's that needed on an Air. And it will happen anyway.

srsub3
Apr 14, 2013, 04:23 PM
voted other.... probably the most important to me is a better battery, but even a retina screen should be good....

racer1441
Apr 14, 2013, 04:45 PM
These are moronic choices.

The only thing Apple should start developing right now is battery technology. Really step up development. Imagine a iPad with 20 hours of battery life, or a MacBook with 15!

Vairamuthu
Apr 15, 2013, 03:57 AM
[/COLOR]

i hear you. what i want, and what i have wanted all along, is a macbook with a touchscreen. the surface is still using what looks like to be a crappy OS btu i think it's a step in the right direction. i love that keyboard too!

maybe apple will take over and do it right ;)

apple tried the touchscreen vertically and it didn't work out.Jobs mentioned this few years back touch devices vertically will not workout. you can't work on that device a whole day.your arm will start feeling pain. think about typing in that way! and touch marks all over the screen.

Horizontal way will work out like our keyboard , trackpad , ipad etc..

jjfcpa
Apr 15, 2013, 08:19 AM
Windows ultraportables are not going over well. However, there are a few standout Win ultraportables that have definitely caught up to the MBA. Take the Samsung and ACER - they are esthetically very close to the MBA and offer similar bang for the buck.

Apple will probably contend that they don't have to dramatically change what they are offering because the Win ultras can't offer one very important thing that Apple can... the Apple tax... no just kidding, it's the OS. Actually, I think if you compare the Win ultras pricewise to the MBA, they are not any cheaper and still have some deficiencies in terms of hardware.

With that being said, I think Apple still needs to raise the bar if for no other reason than the Apple community expects it. In other words, they have a reputation to live up to.

So how to they incrementally improve the MBA in such a way that the Mac community and those picky pundits will recognize Apple for living up to their reputation?

I think there needs to be both esthetic improvements as well as hardware improvements if they are going to honor their rep. On the esthetics side, the LCD seems to be the obvious area of improvement. Leo Laporte has remarked how his Acer Aspire S7 has a much better screen than his MBA. Samsung has a similar ultra with an improved LCD. This seems to be the obvious choice for Apple since they already understand the technology and how to implement it. Retina for MBA is a given!

Many would argue that the LCD is a hardware change, but I consider it an esthetic change because it doesn't really impact performance.

On the hardware side of things, I think they can do some modest things like the 768 gig SSD that is offered on the rMBP but if they want to turn some heads, I really think they need to turn the MBA into an all day laptop. A minimum of 8 hours battery life. So for the hardware side of things, I would do the following, which the Win competition doesn't seem to be able to do:

768 gig SSD option
16 gig RAM option
8 hour battery life

In terms of innovation, why not offer an external battery (think Hyper Juice) that could be purchased for a reasonable price and would provide additional power when you do not have access to AC power. Make it small and able to power the MBA for another 3-4 hours and I think they could sell a lot of these.

I've always wondered why no one has done this, but I could see this being a way to extend the battery for all their laptops without spending lots of R&D trying to squeeze more battery into smaller spaces. Just a thought!

DisplacedMic
Apr 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
apple tried the touchscreen vertically and it didn't work out.Jobs mentioned this few years back touch devices vertically will not workout. you can't work on that device a whole day.your arm will start feeling pain. think about typing in that way! and touch marks all over the screen.

Horizontal way will work out like our keyboard , trackpad , ipad etc..

the first tablet computers folded back on themselves so that you could easily hold it vertically if you wished. the point being - you could use your notebook computer like a notebook if you wanted, or like a laptop computer.

notjustjay
Apr 15, 2013, 12:41 PM
Windows ultraportables are not going over well. However, there are a few standout Win ultraportables that have definitely caught up to the MBA. Take the Samsung and ACER - they are esthetically very close to the MBA and offer similar bang for the buck.

The way I see it, there are a few different classes of Windows 8 ultraportables.

The first is the "MacBook Air clone", like you mentioned, and some of them even come very close to replicating the look and feel of the Air.

Then there's the "MacBook Air but with a touch screen" concept. Self explanatory.

Another is the "convertible tablet", where manufacturers are trying to combine the best of both worlds in tablets and portable PCs. Even these can be further broken down into "tablets that can also be PCs" (like Surface Pro) or "PCs that can also be tablets" (like Dell XPS 12, Asus Taichi, Lenovo Yoga, Sony Vaio Duo). There is also a category of "take apart" PCs like the Lenovo Helix and Samsung ATIV series.

This class seems to still be struggling to find itself and different companies are experimenting with different concepts. Ultimately someone will win out and things will stabilize.

jjfcpa
Apr 15, 2013, 05:47 PM
The way I see it, there are a few different classes of Windows 8 ultraportables.

The first is the "MacBook Air clone", like you mentioned, and some of them even come very close to replicating the look and feel of the Air.

Then there's the "MacBook Air but with a touch screen" concept. Self explanatory.

Another is the "convertible tablet", where manufacturers are trying to combine the best of both worlds in tablets and portable PCs. Even these can be further broken down into "tablets that can also be PCs" (like Surface Pro) or "PCs that can also be tablets" (like Dell XPS 12, Asus Taichi, Lenovo Yoga, Sony Vaio Duo). There is also a category of "take apart" PCs like the Lenovo Helix and Samsung ATIV series.

This class seems to still be struggling to find itself and different companies are experimenting with different concepts. Ultimately someone will win out and things will stabilize.

Excellent point. The PC industry seems to be lost in a sea of options. That may be why PC sales are struggling - who can decide amid the myriad of choices.

JHUFrank
Apr 16, 2013, 07:28 AM
I think the 4g slot is going to happen. For me it was a fantasy choice, some sort of NFC thing would just be cool.

j_maddison
Apr 21, 2013, 08:52 PM
Are we likely to see IGZO displays anytime soon? Or will this tech be sewn up by Samsung now they've bought a share in Sharp?

IGZO + Haswell would be my top choice, because that would mean a significantly longer battery life.

Next on the list for me would be an E-Ink keyboard, I can't see this happening for quite some time though. It would make switching to a Dvorak layout more feasible.

Dropping the Bezel for an iPad Mini type thinness would be amazing for the aesthetics.

I think RAM and HD increases are pretty much a given with time.

animatedude
Apr 22, 2013, 07:17 PM
it seems like y'll want an 11-inch Macbook Book Pro with Retina Display...it's OK i want that too! :D

opinio
Apr 23, 2013, 05:10 AM
not so much for a MBA but relevant... we need a TB to USB3.0 adapter (for those with 2011s.

kooskoos1814
Apr 23, 2013, 09:12 AM
More battery life, with an external bigger battery if needed (like Lenovo does on their X230).

With 10+ hours battery life in wifi it would be the best computer ever made...

applefanDrew
Apr 23, 2013, 10:30 AM
Retina Display.

Drew017
Apr 23, 2013, 01:59 PM
The only thing on the list that seems useful to me is the faster wifi... Though I think I would trade that for better battery life.

GizmoDVD
Apr 27, 2013, 12:16 PM
not so much for a MBA but relevant... we need a TB to USB3.0 adapter (for those with 2011s.

No, you need a new computer.

DesertEagle
Apr 27, 2013, 12:35 PM
E-ink keyboard would be awesome!!

PraisiX-windows
Apr 27, 2013, 02:27 PM
Reduced bezel, design change and better battery life - these would all be welcomed additions.

thejadedmonkey
Apr 27, 2013, 02:33 PM
Thinner screen bezel, HDMI, and a case that doesn't dent when you look at it would be nice.

JarScott
Apr 28, 2013, 08:22 AM
I don't see Retina on that list. Isn't that the most realistic new feature?

B...
Apr 28, 2013, 09:01 AM
I don't see Retina on that list. Isn't that the most realistic new feature?

No. What is the point of a rMBA this year when Apple has a rMBP?

BayouTiger
Apr 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
gotta be 4G. Whole point of the Air is mobility.

I switched to the rMBP 15 and i miss the Air every day. Sometimes consider going back to an iMac on the desktop and using the Air in the field, but the 15 is the best compromise as using two separate computers is a PITA. If the Air could only have a quad, discrete graphics and 16Gb, it would be perfect!

::duh::

JarScott
Apr 28, 2013, 12:05 PM
No. What is the point of a rMBA this year when Apple has a rMBP?

For ummm...you know...a higher resolution screen?

B...
Apr 28, 2013, 12:08 PM
For ummm...you know...a higher resolution screen?

What? You think if Apple introduced a rMBA, it would be 2880x1800? The rMBP can do 1440x900 just fine, and it actually looks very good with minimal blurring. My point, which you seemed to have missed, is that if one could have a 13" rMBA, there would be little to no reason for a rMBP, because the screen is the main selling point of a retina laptop. Processor speed would be little reason for one to get a rMBP over a rMBA, especially if it would be less expensive. Also, the technology required to fit a retina screen inside a MBA bosy would either require a switch to IGZO displays or a heavier boy to accomodate the larger battery, which would essentially give you a rMBP.

Apple wil eventually have to redesign the MBA, but I don't think this year is retina.

PDFierro
Apr 28, 2013, 01:02 PM
gotta be 4G. Whole point of the Air is mobility.

I switched to the rMBP 15 and i miss the Air every day. Sometimes consider going back to an iMac on the desktop and using the Air in the field, but the 15 is the best compromise as using two separate computers is a PITA. If the Air could only have a quad, discrete graphics and 16Gb, it would be perfect!

::duh::

You could always get a Thunderbolt display and hook the Air up to that when you're home. Problem solved.

Verix
Apr 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
You could always get a Thunderbolt display and hook the Air up to that when you're home. Problem solved.

That doesn't turn the Air into a Quad core with discrete graphics, nor does it make his 15'' weigh less.

Soulman
Apr 28, 2013, 08:15 PM
Make it Slate or Black, also bring back the silver keyboard.

Macman45
May 4, 2013, 03:35 AM
Sim slot. It's about the only thing that would make me buy another MBA...Don't get me wrong, I loved mine, but replaced it with an rMBP...Having an Air with 3G would pretty much force me into buying one!:)

BayouTiger
Jun 13, 2013, 01:20 PM

That doesn't turn the Air into a Quad core with discrete graphics, nor does it make his 15'' weigh less.

I do have a T-display on my desk, but I do need more horsepower on the desktop than the Air can provide. CAD, modeling, etc. that I do daily. The rMBP has the horsepower, but its still bigger than I would like in the field.,

james1758
Jun 16, 2013, 07:59 AM
Retina screen + lighter and slimmer + new design (the latter slightly optimistic)

Tanax
Jun 16, 2013, 03:41 PM
Retina screen + lighter and slimmer + new design (the latter slightly optimistic)

If you need retina, why don't you just get the rMBP? It weighs almost exactly the same. Plus if you upgrade the Air to get same spec as basic rMBP 13", it's not much of a premium you pay for the retina screen.

james1758
Jun 16, 2013, 03:57 PM
If you need retina, why don't you just get the rMBP? It weighs almost exactly the same. Plus if you upgrade the Air to get same spec as basic rMBP 13", it's not much of a premium you pay for the retina screen.

Just the macbook air is slimmer and its still lighter plus its a fair amount cheaper

Tanax
Jun 17, 2013, 03:20 AM
Just the macbook air is slimmer and its still lighter plus its a fair amount cheaper

Keep in mind that the Air did drop $100 in price. If we assume the Pro will do the same after Haswell update, it'll be $1399 for the 13" retina with same specs (8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, standard CPU). Air is $1199 for that.

So retina is $200 more expensive and for those you'll get:
1. Retina screen
2. Better CPU

Why do you think the Air is lighter? Because it doesn't require as much battery as the Pro due to not being retina. If Air gets bumped up to retina, you'll lose either portability (since it needs more battery to keep same battery-life) or battery-life.

And $200 is hardly "a fair amount cheaper". I can agree that the Air should at least get bumped up to 1080p screen but retina is just not needed. If you need retina, get the Pro. If you need the portability, get the Air.

james1758
Jun 17, 2013, 07:44 AM
Keep in mind that the Air did drop $100 in price. If we assume the Pro will do the same after Haswell update, it'll be $1399 for the 13" retina with same specs (8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, standard CPU). Air is $1199 for that.

So retina is $200 more expensive and for those you'll get:
1. Retina screen
2. Better CPU

Why do you think the Air is lighter? Because it doesn't require as much battery as the Pro due to not being retina. If Air gets bumped up to retina, you'll lose either portability (since it needs more battery to keep same battery-life) or battery-life.

And $200 is hardly "a fair amount cheaper". I can agree that the Air should at least get bumped up to 1080p screen but retina is just not needed. If you need retina, get the Pro. If you need the portability, get the Air.

You've got a point with not including the retina screen in MBA, but instead bumping it up to 1080p!

But 200 (UK) is alot more money if you don't have much in the first place, especially if you know your not going to need the extra processing power of the MBP, or like me you have an iMac for all your processing needs. Secondly, the MBP retina is noticeably heavier than the MBA and at its thinnest point the MBA is 0.3cm in height!

However having said that, I will wait for the MBP upgrades whenever they come around to see what it has to offer then:)

----------

Sim slot. It's about the only thing that would make me buy another MBA...Don't get me wrong, I loved mine, but replaced it with an rMBP...Having an Air with 3G would pretty much force me into buying one!:)

3G would be epic!:D

Tanax
Jun 17, 2013, 09:40 AM
You've got a point with not including the retina screen in MBA, but instead bumping it up to 1080p!

But 200 (UK) is alot more money if you don't have much in the first place, especially if you know your not going to need the extra processing power of the MBP, or like me you have an iMac for all your processing needs. Secondly, the MBP retina is noticeably heavier than the MBA and at its thinnest point the MBA is 0.3cm in height!

However having said that, I will wait for the MBP upgrades whenever they come around to see what it has to offer then:)

That is true, but if you don't need the CPU-power and only need the retina screen, it's still a better screen = more money. That's like saying that you wished Toyota's come with all the bells and whistles a BMW or Mercedes comes with - but at a lower price point. It's more expensive for a reason, that reason is the retina screen.

I will wait for the updated rMBP as well. I want a portable computer to work on the way to my job but I really want a nicer screen than the one in the current Air and the 13" rMBP is portable enough :)

PDFierro
Jun 17, 2013, 09:42 AM
I think the rMBP is still very portable. At least the 13-inch is.