PDA

View Full Version : IBM confirms Altivec to be in 970!

gopher
Dec 13, 2002, 08:12 AM
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/12/12.13.shtml

Now would it be there if they weren't working with Apple to include it in their machines?

BenderBot1138
Dec 13, 2002, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure... I don't find it to be an unwise business position to mine the Chip Manufacturers. Ultimately, Mr. Jobs will have to sign off on it, and we can feel confident he wouldn't do anything that wasn't in Apple or it's customer base's best interests.

:cool:

dongmin
Dec 13, 2002, 08:34 AM
IBM's newsletter (http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/dec2002/newproductfocus2.html)

Chaszmyr
Dec 13, 2002, 08:40 AM
Thats a pretty looking chip hehe

Oh, back on topic. I think Motorolla owns rights to Altivec... If that was the case, there is no way i can see that IBM could develop an AltiVec processor without Apple's consent.

Nipsy
Dec 13, 2002, 08:49 AM
First:

Motorola is a semiconductor company. Motorolla is a german moped repair shop.

Second:
Duh...for all those who thought that the 160+ vector instructions thing was a coincidence, and are still waiting for the G5, double duh.

dongmin
Dec 13, 2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Oh, back on topic. I think Motorolla owns rights to Altivec... If that was the case, there is no way i can see that IBM could develop an AltiVec processor without Apple's consent.

I'm not sure that you're right about who "owns" AltiVec. According to the article, IBM "codeveloped" AltiVec. My understanding is that AltiVec is a Moto trademark in which case IBM needs Moto's permission, not Apple's, to use the trademark.

Anyways, if this isn't a confirmation, I don't know what is. So it's now a matter of "when", not "if."

-sampling in 2nd quarter
-production in 2nd half of the year

We now have a six-month window of when the new PowerMacs will arrive. It doesn't seem far-fetched to think that Jobs will announce them and start taking orders at MWNY in July and deliver them a month or two later.

gbojim
Dec 13, 2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Thats a pretty looking chip hehe

That's interesting. IBM clearly used the name Altivec in the newsletter and that name is trademarked by Motorola. I wonder if IBM decided to license the use of the name Altivec like Motorola licenses the name PowerPC.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 13, 2002, 09:02 AM
Very cool, hope they get it to us earlier than later - especially with all the clamoring for new machines, Apple is going to want to get these out there soon, or they will see a drop in sales on the current line of G4s.

Best quote from the article though

There is little doubt that this bit of fact announced by IBM will add all kinds of fuel to the rumor sites, but our advice is "a new Mac on your desk is worth two on a rumor site," and that holds true here.

D

jrv3034
Dec 13, 2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by dongmin
We now have a six-month window of when the new PowerMacs will arrive. It doesn't seem far-fetched to think that Jobs will announce them and start taking orders at MWNY in July and deliver them a month or two later.

Personally, I think that would be great timing. I'm going to buy a new PowerMac late next year in order to edit a DV film I'm working out. New 970 processors would be super.

I've said before that I don't care if Apple goes IBM, or AMD or whatever, as long as they deliver on performance... but now I'm thinking that the PowerPC 970 seems ahead of its time; almost like Intel and AMD are working on perfecting the fuel-injection engine, but IBM is almost ready to bring out the Hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles.

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into another IBM vs AMD thread. I think it's great that IBM seems on the ball, and even ahead of our expectations in terms of the timetable.:)

arn
Dec 13, 2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by gopher
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/12/12.13.shtml

Now would it be there if they weren't working with Apple to include it in their machines?

We knew it was altivec back in October... IBM said so.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/10/20021021023740.shtml

arn

JSRockit
Dec 13, 2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Very cool, hope they get it to us earlier than later - especially with all the clamoring for new machines, Apple is going to want to get these out there soon, or they will see a drop in sales on the current line of G4s.

Best quote from the article though

There is little doubt that this bit of fact announced by IBM will add all kinds of fuel to the rumor sites, but our advice is "a new Mac on your desk is worth two on a rumor site," and that holds true here.

D

It'll probably come out in a year and by that time we'll all be bitching about how 1.8Ghz isn't enough.

Kid Red
Dec 13, 2002, 09:59 AM

I'm not sure that you're right about who "owns" AltiVec. According to the article, IBM "codeveloped" AltiVec. My understanding is that AltiVec is a Moto trademark in which case IBM needs Moto's permission, not Apple's, to use the trademark.

Anyways, if this isn't a confirmation, I don't know what is. So it's now a matter of "when", not "if."

-sampling in 2nd quarter
-production in 2nd half of the year

The fall, the fall, the fall. You'll have to wait until Sept/Aug. We'll get one last G4 update in Jan/Feb, then the big boy in the fall.

usersince86
Dec 13, 2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Nipsy
First:

Motorola is a semiconductor company. Motorolla is a german moped repair shop.

Second:
Duh...for all those who thought that the 160+ vector instructions thing was a coincidence, and are still waiting for the G5, double duh.

Please feel free to insult others... it's what we're here for, right?

(BTW, it must be nice to never make a typing error.)

NicoMan
Dec 13, 2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Kid Red

The fall, the fall, the fall. You'll have to wait until Sept/Aug. We'll get one last G4 update in Jan/Feb, then the big boy in the fall.

Agreed. 100%. The sooner they get the next PowerMac revision the better for Apple. Because speculation about the 970 is going to severely slow down sales of pro machines come next summer (even if it is still premature to talk about a timetable for new Powermacs based on 970).

NicoMan

Falleron
Dec 13, 2002, 10:11 AM
I bet they are previewed at MWNY + ship in about september with pre-orders being taken then. However, this makes me think that we may get a decent speed bump from Motorola to stimulate sales for the first half of the year. I have no evidence, but, a 1.6Ghz G4 in january followed by a 1.8Ghz 970 in the summer would be a good step.

Silver Dragon
Dec 13, 2002, 11:04 AM
Did anyone ever think that maybe, just maybe Uncle Steve will announce 970 based G4's this January at macworld?

"Woah there" you say "IBM won't even be ready until the 2nd half of next year, fool!"

I know this is what IBM said, but what a perfect surprise! What better way to surprise the entire Macintosh community than to come out with the processor that no one thought they could deliver for 6 more months? Example A: Superbook TiBook. Did anyone see that coming so soon? We knew it was coming some day, but everyone thought it was at least 6 to 12 more months out.

What if Apple and IBM teamed up and are giving us false dates? Now don't get your hopes up, I have no insider info, I'm just thinking out loud here.

dongmin
Dec 13, 2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Silver Dragon
What if Apple and IBM teamed up and are giving us false dates? Now don't get your hopes up, I have no insider info, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Yeah sure it's possible. But I don't think IBM is really in the business of spreading misinformation. It'd be out of their charater.

And it's also possible that Apple won't actually use these chips until 2004 or something, due to some technical or economic reasons.

dongmin
Dec 13, 2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by arn

We knew it was altivec back in October... IBM said so.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/10/20021021023740.shtml

arn

OK this may be splitting hairs but this is the first time that IBM itself has called the SIMD unit "Altivec" as opposed to calling it "Altivec-compatible." The nail got a little longer.

JSRockit
Dec 13, 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Silver Dragon Example A: Superbook TiBook. Did anyone see that coming so soon? We knew it was coming some day, but everyone thought it was at least 6 to 12 more months out.

[/B]

Some people thought it was coming (superdrive TiBook)...but what threw people off was slot-loading. Sure, Apple delivered, but at a measley 1X. Everyone else that has a SuperDrive in a laptop is at 2X soon to be 4X. That would be Fujitsu, Sony, etc. I agree that Apple suprised everyone in November. That makes me nervous about January.

Hes Nikke
Dec 13, 2002, 11:54 AM

OK this may be splitting hairs but this is the first time that IBM itself has called the SIMD unit "Altivec" as opposed to calling it "Altivec-compatible." The nail got a little longer.

Originaly posted in the linked artical (http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/dec2002/newproductfocus2.html)

The 970's multiple execution units including an AltiVec compatible vector processor...

Dj Kioto
Dec 13, 2002, 12:02 PM
IBM co-developed Altivec, Altivec is just a name for a Vector Processeing Unit, which is a SIMD, those types of processors aren't "owned" by anyone, they are simple a type of processor, IBM could call it a Geemawitsgotdemtharvectorthingysinit vector processor, and it would still be the same thing. But here, the instructios it accepts just so happent oo b the same as the instructions Altivec accepts

Hawthorne
Dec 13, 2002, 12:02 PM
Wait to use Apple Student Developer Discount until the end of next year.

And touch the puppethead. :)

tmornini
Dec 13, 2002, 12:15 PM

But I don't think IBM is really in the business of spreading misinformation.
But...
It wouldn't be spreading misinformation *IF* it wasn't going to be available to anyone *but* Apple before the timeframe they have stated.

Metatron
Dec 13, 2002, 12:53 PM
I know nothing about processors, so any statement I make, feel free to correct me. I was told that the fastest desktop computer was a anything with a dual zeon by intel. If and when 970's are put in macs, will they be dual, and how will they compare with the current top of the line PC, and the future versions of PCs that will be produced the same time as the 970 macs?

I have a ibook g3 500 with a upgraded 40 gig drive. I do alot of dv editing, and the time it takes.......well, it is long. A dual 1.8 970 on os X. With a buttload of DDR ram. The sheer thought of it is making my mouth water.

ThlayliTheFierce
Dec 13, 2002, 01:50 PM
First off, just so you know, it is an utter falacy to compare two different processors based on Mhz. A dual Xeon machine would be very fast, mostly because Xeons have a lot of cache, and there are two of them. Following Apple's recent trends and the fact that the 970 is designed to be used in a multiprocessor configuration, I think any powermac based on them will be dual. Given the 970's amount of bandwidth and the dual floating, fixed point, and vector units, I think that even 6 months from now a dual 1.8 Ghz machine would still rival if not beat the latest Intel or AMD powered machines.

GPTurismo
Dec 13, 2002, 01:51 PM
I can't wait. 64 bit powermacs next year :D

lordsinforge
Dec 13, 2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Metatron
I know nothing about processors, so any statement I make, feel free to correct me. I was told that the fastest desktop computer was a anything with a dual zeon by intel.

Except for the fact that xeon's are not for desktop machines. They are a server prossessor. They run extreamly hot and need a whole ***** load of cooling. running one in a desktop machine would result in eather a really big cooling unit or a melted heap of slag.

LS

Dandee
Dec 13, 2002, 02:00 PM
I hope that we finally get such a speed that without any test or benchmark whatsoever we will be able to kick the **** out of those grey (win)dozes and very badly ripped steal-offs (hear this Compack). But i do agree, reaching faster speed is wanna override faster speed. That's the problem, it's never enough.
I can still hear my neighbour say: WOW 2.4 GHZ, don't u love it. My question towards him: So, what are you planning to do on such a 'monster'. Answer (believe it or not): Word, Excel, Internet! (Me and my fam almost moved to another town).

springscansing
Dec 13, 2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Dandee
I hope that we finally get such a speed that without any test or benchmark whatsoever we will be able to kick the **** out of those grey (win)dozes and very badly ripped steal-offs (hear this Compack). But i do agree, reaching faster speed is wanna override faster speed. That's the problem, it's never enough.
I can still hear my neighbour say: WOW 2.4 GHZ, don't u love it. My question towards him: So, what are you planning to do on such a 'monster'. Answer (believe it or not): Word, Excel, Internet! (Me and my fam almost moved to another town).

Tell him his POS box doesn't even have hyperthreading. Then kick him in the balls.

ThlayliTheFierce
Dec 13, 2002, 02:06 PM
Sorry, but I don't think that day will come, and if it does, it probably won't last long. What will more likely be the case is that computers will get so fast, have so much ram and storage, that the hardware will be indistinguishable without opening the case. When that day comes, indeed it is already fast approaching, software will determine the worth of a computer, and hopefully people will realize how much better OS X is.

User X
Dec 13, 2002, 02:14 PM
Does anyone know how high the 970 is planned to scale up to. Is 1.8 the max or just the begining?

ThlayliTheFierce
Dec 13, 2002, 02:15 PM
Since it is the debut speed, it is just the beginning. I'm sure it will scale from there.

Falleron
Dec 13, 2002, 02:18 PM
Who knows, what if IBM was to come up with a version that is say 1.4Ghz for MWSF??? Then in the summer/autumn bring out the 1.8Ghz

locovaca
Dec 13, 2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by lordsinforge

Except for the fact that xeon's are not for desktop machines. They are a server prossessor. They run extreamly hot and need a whole ***** load of cooling. running one in a desktop machine would result in eather a really big cooling unit or a melted heap of slag.

LS

Except for the fact that they are workstation/low end server processors, do not run extremely hot, and do not require a large amount of cooling. They are the exact same processor as the P4 with SMP enabled & have more cache. See these here? http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/series_precn_desktops.htm Xeons. Can be configured as dual.

evolu
Dec 13, 2002, 03:39 PM
Does Apple have exclusive use of Altivec? How do we know some other company is not adopting this tech?

ThlayliTheFierce
Dec 13, 2002, 04:08 PM
Altivec is a vector processing unit on some processors made by Motorola and now IBM. Anyone who makes something that uses this processor, be it a computer or a router, can write code that uses the Altivec unit.

jrv3034
Dec 13, 2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Dj Kioto
Geemawitsgotdemtharvectorthingysinit vector processor

Hehehehehehe...:D ;)

Sure, who knows when these things will come out. It'd be great if it was January. But most indications and rumors point to late 2003, and usually rumors tend to be fairly accurate if enough people are stating them, right?

evolu
Dec 13, 2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ThlayliTheFierce
Altivec is a vector processing unit on some processors made by Motorola and now IBM. Anyone who makes something that uses this processor, be it a computer or a router, can write code that uses the Altivec unit.

But if another company wanted to utilize this technology, software vendors would have to rewrite code to accomodate Altivec, right?

Meaning, the only way Altivec could be used by another company is if their sofware is written specifically for Altivec.

Would this mean that only Apple could use this processor?

arn
Dec 13, 2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by jrv3034

Hehehehehehe...:D ;)

Sure, who knows when these things will come out. It'd be great if it was January. But most indications and rumors point to late 2003, and usually rumors tend to be fairly accurate if enough people are stating them, right?

IBM itself says production volume in second half of 2003.

arn

jrv3034
Dec 13, 2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by arn
IBM itself says production volume in second half of 2003.arn

Exactly. It's confirmed by IBM that the chips will be produced then, but that doesen't mean it will show up in Macs right then. It could take Apple longer than that, although everyone hopes for sooner rather than later, of course. That's where the rumors come in.

badika
Dec 13, 2002, 05:58 PM
The news about cutting OS9 boot abilities being extended to mid-'03 suspiciously syncs well with the expected release of these new babies, and the release of Quark X. Rumour mill fodder, congeal~!

ThlayliTheFierce
Dec 13, 2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by evolu

But if another company wanted to utilize this technology, software vendors would have to rewrite code to accomodate Altivec, right?

Meaning, the only way Altivec could be used by another company is if their sofware is written specifically for Altivec.

Would this mean that only Apple could use this processor?

Yes, other companies would have to rewrite their software, but routers use software as well. The G4 is also used in embedded systems, which, again, have their own software. I read that Apple actually constitutes a minority of the G4 sales. Thus, it would probably be easy for another company who currently uses the G4 to switch to the 970, something which IBM might be hoping for.

Coca-Cola
Dec 13, 2002, 06:28 PM
IBM is making chips at an old facility now. A few thousand or so. And apple will put them into expensive powermacs in January. They must have these chips somewhere right now. The new plant will reduce the cost and number of chips for cheaper systems later on. :)

solvs
Dec 13, 2002, 07:08 PM
It goes into VOLUME production in 2003. That means if Apple is going to use the chip, they've been testing pre-production units. Probably for awhile now. That way, when it does go into volume production (at least enough for IBM itself, and all of it's customers - there's sure to be other customers) Apple can start BUILDING the units right away. Not selling. If it goes into volume production in Spring/Fall 2003, it might take awhile before you can actually BUY the new Macs.

But I'm hoping for sooner than later. :D

Mr. Dibbs
Dec 13, 2002, 08:58 PM
IBM will not be making the chips in an old facility, and it's entirely possible that apple could be making a PPC 970 compliant machine/build. However, we all know apple doesn't usually get things perfect on the first release, so I would think that they might get a low end Xserve box out during the debut, and by the time the high end machine is up for shipping, the OS will hopefully be refined enough to run really well on the high end box. my only doubt is that apple is going to radically change the Xserve architecture all at once, because from what I hear from AppleCare people, they are all having to take some serious Xserve training, and having to re-learn all that would be a big waste of rescources... but it wouldn't be the first time. below is an excerpt from the newsletter. -dibbs

The PowerPC 970 is designed in IBM 0.13-micron CMOS silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology and will be manufactured in IBM's new state-of-the-art 300-mm facility in East Fishkill, NY. Sampling is scheduled to begin in the second quarter of 2003 with production expected in the second half of 2003.

ogun7
Dec 13, 2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Silver Dragon
Did anyone ever think that maybe, just maybe Uncle Steve will announce 970 based G4's this January at macworld?

Ya know, Uncle Steve better do something, 'cause NOONE is gonna buy a PowerMac before the 970 ships.

Not me, anyway. (and I'm in animation school trying to run Maya on a Dual 450)

beatle888
Dec 13, 2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
Who knows, what if IBM was to come up with a version that is say 1.4Ghz for MWSF??? Then in the summer/autumn bring out the 1.8Ghz

this is a very good point. ibm said they would
have the 970 at 1.8 during the third quarter
of 2003. what it they already have a 970 running
at 1.4 and are producing those in mass production?

Wano
Dec 14, 2002, 02:04 AM
I really hope that they release a powermac with the 970 in the next three months, because i am going to get what ever is availavle around that time, cause i need it for video editing...then i am planning on getting a powerbook. hopefully, there will be something great, cause i don't want to wait.

cr2sh
Dec 14, 2002, 02:40 AM
http://www.sininc.org/970.jpg

I'm breathing heavy just looking at it. That is a sexy goddamn chip. :D

Could it look anymore like the new g4 tower?

<image edited, obviously.>

blogo
Dec 14, 2002, 06:38 AM
If Apple is gonna support OS 9 another six months, i don't think we will see 970's before summer 2003 atleast.

Tiauguinho
Dec 14, 2002, 06:57 AM
I really hope that Apple deliver this chip as soon as posible... I love the specs... 6.4Gbps data rate on the interface bus... DAMN! :) Bring it on Apple!

dongmin
Dec 14, 2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by beatle888

this is a very good point. ibm said they would
have the 970 at 1.8 during the third quarter
of 2003. what it they already have a 970 running
at 1.4 and are producing those in mass production?

Actually no. The newsletter is unambiguous when it states:

"The PowerPC 970 is designed in IBM 0.13-micron CMOS silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology and will be manufactured in IBM's new state-of-the-art 300-mm facility in East Fishkill, NY. Sampling is scheduled to begin in the second quarter of 2003 with production expected in the second half of 2003."

It's pretty clear that they're talking about the 970 as a whole and not certain speeds--unless they're flat out lying or this newsletter is inaccurate. If they're already mass producing 970s at some speed, they CANNOT be saying that "sampling is scheduled to begin..." Sorry to rain on your parade. Not possible.

Raiden
Dec 14, 2002, 11:33 AM
I am looking forward to these new chips!

I think a more logical date to unveil these chips is at the mac world at new york. It fits the time perfectly, midway through the year, and it would give SJ a big hitting "just one more thing". So MWNW wont be a let-down like it was this year.

jg3
Dec 14, 2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh
Could it look anymore like the new g4 tower?

Well, I suppose it could look like this:

http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~jgabel/fark/G5MDD.jpg

:D

primalman
Dec 16, 2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by jrv3034

Exactly. It's confirmed by IBM that the chips will be produced then, but that doesen't mean it will show up in Macs right then. It could take Apple longer than that, although everyone hopes for sooner rather than later, of course. That's where the rumors come in.

Timing of the IBM PowerPC 970....

Here's something I thought of while reading an article at IBM's website about the PPC 970 [http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/dec2002/newproductfocus2.html]. This is the first time I have thought of this even though I have read the timeline estimates many times. They have stated many times that the 970 will be sampled in Q2 03, with production in the 2nd half of 03.

What do we think IBM means by Q2 of 2003? Is it Q2 of Fiscal 03 or calendar 03? If Fiscal 03, are we not already in that by Apple's and IBM's SEC papers?

Hmmmmmm.......

Also, does anybody have any info on the status of the Fishkills, NY plant IBM is building to fab the 970? What state of completion is it in?

---
primalman

Wano
Dec 16, 2002, 09:39 AM
Would it be possible for apple to put out a machine with such a drastic speed bump. What if apple are going to work on the G4 chip a little more untill they reach at least 1.6Ghz, about two releases from now, and then release the 970. Would that be a possibility? or are they thinking of releasing it as soon as possible? cause in that case the speed bump will be huge.

JSRockit
Dec 16, 2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Wano
Would it be possible for apple to put out a machine with such a drastic speed bump. What if apple are going to work on the G4 chip a little more untill they reach at least 1.6Ghz, about two releases from now, and then release the 970. Would that be a possibility? or are they thinking of releasing it as soon as possible? cause in that case the speed bump will be huge.

Apple needs a huge speed bump...it's not like they are going from 1.25 to 3.

Coca-Cola
Dec 16, 2002, 05:57 PM
We should get some and watch construction, eh.

Wano
Dec 16, 2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by JSRockit

Apple needs a huge speed bump...it's not like they are going from 1.25 to 3.

and they probably wont go from 1.25 to 1.8...right? so, what i am thinking is that they might go up to 1.6 or something(if possible with the G4), and then release the 970 or something

cr2sh
Dec 16, 2002, 06:39 PM
They changed up the front-side on the current g4's which I was surprised by. I expected to see DDR, but not this 166fsb. I don't remember anyone mentioning that this might happen... we're using the same multiplier on the new 1.25 as we were on the old 1GHz...
My point is, if they can pull that 166 out of nowhere - who's to say what else is working...

Or am I wrong?

groundhog troll
Dec 16, 2002, 07:42 PM
A few years ago IBM designed a CISC chip that decentralized the clock on the chip which enabled it to run at speeds of 3.3 to 4.5 billion calculations a second 3.3-4.5 GHz. It was called IPCMOS for Interlocked Pipelined CMOS. Question, was it ever implimented into any IBM chips? if yes, which ones? or did Intel acquire this technology:rolleyes:

Trolling trolling on the river

MrMacMan
Dec 16, 2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by groundhog troll
A few years ago IBM designed a CISC chip that decentralized the clock on the chip which enabled it to run at speeds of 3.3 to 4.5 billion calculations a second 3.3-4.5 GHz. It was called IPCMOS for Interlocked Pipelined CMOS. Question, was it ever implimented into any IBM chips? if yes, which ones? or did Intel acquire this technology:rolleyes:

Trolling trolling on the river
Oh you mean this.... here? (http://www.research.ibm.com/resources/news/20000401_ipcmos.shtml)

Anyways, I guess apple has some planing to due for any of these chips at any of these speeds...
Oh yeah Note to apple: Spend some of that 4 BILLION in the bank to some chip Tech, PLEASE. :D

szark
Dec 16, 2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by primalman
Also, does anybody have any info on the status of the Fishkills, NY plant IBM is building to fab the 970? What state of completion is it in?

---
primalman

From this article:
IBM Takes Step Toward 90-nm Chip Process (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,767887,00.asp)

...in its new $2.5 billion 300-mm chip-making facility, which began operations earlier this year.