Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I just installed iLife '04 on my iMac G3, which meets the requirements, other than the fact that I need a 600MHz processor or faster for GarageBand, which I don't have.

I found a trick to make GarageBand install anyways which it successfully did. I also found a resource (I can't find it now) that said it should run OKAY on a 350MHz G3. But the thing is, for me, it won't start, unlike everything else.

I click the guitar icon in the dock, it'll do it's little bouncy dance and the little black triangle that appears under running programs will appear for a split second and then disappear. It does this no matter how many times I click.

I don't know what to do. Please help!

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This may be a permissions problem. (Dare I say it, try running Disk Utility to fix permissions.) Could you post a link to the steps you used to install it?

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Do what Intell said first. If that doesn't work...

Go into Utilities, and open Console. Click Clear Display. And then click GarageBand in the dock. It should print some new messages in the box.

There doesn't seem to be a Clear Display option under Mac OS X 10.2.8. I could be wrong, but I haven't been able to find anything like that. I also tried launching GarageBand from the dock like you said with the Console open, but it never printed any messages.

----------

That might be a permissions issue.

How would I fix it? I really don't know.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
You don't need to be "an extreme apple fan" - you just need to do some research.

Glad it worked out for you!

I tried searching Google but it turned up nothing, for me. I guess I just didn't use the correct terms. I also don't go through pages on Google Search, as this one Internet Meme I saw says, "If it isn't on the first page, it doesn't exist."

Anyways, I kinda realize now how useless installing GarageBand on my dated iMac was. After adding my fourth audio track it told me I had overloaded the system. But whatever, it's just for fun anyways, right? I assume upgrading the RAM will solve the problem.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I also don't go through pages on Google Search, as this one Internet Meme I saw says, "If it isn't on the first page, it doesn't exist."

Complete BS. Always at least go though the 10 pages before giving up. Like really, it doesn't hurt. Do you waste time? No, because if you do happen to stumble upon the thing you're searching for on the 9th page, then it was totally worth the time. Everyone writes differently on the internet.

Another thing, don't simply ask Google a question, using keywords like, "Disk Permissions" and then "Disk Utility" will give you the best results because it will pull up pages with those exact words and from the really good resources like Apple themselves, About.com, and Adobe. If you simply type, "Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility", it brings you to this horribly excessive eHow instruction that is taking advantage of you typing that full phrase, and then other people asking the same question, followed by a documented update of the documentation to use it.

But glad it fixed itself. Audio is very heavy and not on demand, so yeah, those results were to be expected. I wonder if muting tracks makes a difference? I haven't worked with GB in awhile now.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Complete BS. Always at least go though the 10 pages before giving up. Like really, it doesn't hurt. Do you waste time? No, because if you do happen to stumble upon the thing you're searching for on the 9th page, then it was totally worth the time. Everyone writes differently on the internet.

Another thing, don't simply ask Google a question, using keywords like, "Disk Permissions" and then "Disk Utility" will give you the best results because it will pull up pages with those exact words and from the really good resources like Apple themselves, About.com, and Adobe.

You sure seem nice, it was just a joke.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I just installed iLife '04 on my iMac G3, which meets the requirements, other than the fact that I need a 600MHz processor or faster for GarageBand, which I don't have.

I found a trick to make GarageBand install anyways which it successfully did. I also found a resource (I can't find it now) that said it should run OKAY on a 350MHz G3. But the thing is, for me, it won't start, unlike everything else.

I click the guitar icon in the dock, it'll do it's little bouncy dance and the little black triangle that appears under running programs will appear for a split second and then disappear. It does this no matter how many times I click.

I don't know what to do. Please help!

You'd probably be able to run Garage Band if you bumped up the memory in the iMac G3 to one gig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.