PDA

View Full Version : Watching video files on CD vs Hard drive- which is better?

Peter Griffin
Oct 23, 2005, 12:20 AM
Is it better to save video files on a CD and watch it there as opposed to watching it from the hard drive? I've noticed that my iBook runs extremely hot whenever I watch video files (saved on hard drive) for extended periods of time. Just wondering if this was a better alternative. ;)

Blue Velvet
Oct 23, 2005, 02:18 AM
Occasionally I watch some movies (legitimately acquired) ripped as Quicktime files with Handbrake that I have saved onto DVD to watch later.

These play fine on my Mac although fast-forwarding can be a little jerky. You may find that the Combo/Super drive that you have also gets a little warm...

Try it and see.

Peter Griffin
Oct 23, 2005, 03:37 AM
Occasionally I watch some movies (legitimately acquired) ripped as Quicktime files with Handbrake that I have saved onto DVD to watch later.

These play fine on my Mac although fast-forwarding can be a little jerky. You may find that the Combo/Super drive that you have also gets a little warm...

Try it and see.

I see.. I'm more concerned about the heat generated from the hard drive than anything. Do you think it would be better to run my movies on a disc?

chucknorris
Oct 23, 2005, 04:21 AM
I see.. I'm more concerned about the heat generated from the hard drive than anything. Do you think it would be better to run my movies on a disc?

If it's actually a CD drive you're talking about then the HD would be better without a chance.

CD's don't offer very good bandwidth, so you wouldn't be able to play back super hq video from a CD drive.

I can't see any compelling reason not to just use the hard drive.