PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8, and 6.3?

ChrisTX
Apr 6, 2013, 08:26 PM
http://www.sammobile.com/2013/04/02/galaxy-mega-smartphones-are-upcoming/
Sam Mobile is usually very reliable, but I wonder if either of these will replace the rumored Note3? Or has samsung decided to change the name of the Note to Mega. Things are getting interesting in mobile, so I can't wait! :D

nfl46
Apr 6, 2013, 08:31 PM
So I guess the Note 3 won't be 5.8" then, unless the Mega is going to eventually replace the Note. That is just ridiculous for a phone size though. I think the Note 2 screen size is already pushing the limits. A 6.3" phone? WTF. That is just plain ridiculous for a phone.

ChrisTX
Apr 6, 2013, 08:33 PM
So I guess the Note 3 won't be 5.8" then, unless the Mega is going to eventually replace the Note. That is just ridiculous for a phone size though. I think the Note 2 screen size is already pushing the limits. A 6.3" phone? WTF. That is just plain ridiculous for a phone.

There was an official Samsung made game pad that states it supports devices up to 6.3" which is odd considering there are no devices in Samsungs lineup that are of that size. I agree that 6.3" might be TOO BIG, but I know I'll end up buying one anyway lol. :D

MACis122
Apr 6, 2013, 10:05 PM
Has anyone ever thought that these may be galaxy players in a bigger size?

ChrisTX
Apr 7, 2013, 08:11 AM
Has anyone ever thought that these may be galaxy players in a bigger size?

That could be a possibility, but it seems unlikely. However, I find it hard to believe that Samsung would release these 2 phones, and then a Note 3 later on.

Truefan31
Apr 7, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm getting the 6.3 inch if its a bigger note 2. Be my personal tablet on the go

F123D
Apr 7, 2013, 05:42 PM
The S4 is 5" and hoping the Note III is 5.8" and the Mega is 6.3".

Hail Caesar
Apr 8, 2013, 09:03 PM
The size of these Samsung phones is stupid.

Zwhaler
Apr 9, 2013, 07:47 PM

Why? They offer plenty of different sizes, what's wrong with offering larger options that consumers are clearly demanding? I agree that it is large for a phone, but remember these aren't just phones anymore, they're becoming tablet replacements. 5.8" and 6.3" are small for a tablet, making them portable tablets that can make phone calls.

fr4c
Apr 9, 2013, 07:59 PM
And here I thought that my Note II was already ridiculous looking next to my face on a phone call...

Hail Caesar
Apr 10, 2013, 08:39 AM
Why? They offer plenty of different sizes, what's wrong with offering larger options that consumers are clearly demanding? I agree that it is large for a phone, but remember these aren't just phones anymore, they're becoming tablet replacements. 5.8" and 6.3" are small for a tablet, making them portable tablets that can make phone calls.

a phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet. Its clear that some people want these huge devices to carry around, I myself do not, thats all. :apple:

Zwhaler
Apr 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
a phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet. Its clear that some people want these huge devices to carry around, I myself do not, thats all. :apple:

Well, a phone isn't exactly a phone any more. Take a look at all the things an iPhone can do if you remove the SIM. This distinction will quickly fade and already has started to. Giving them a bigger screen doesn't make them one or the other, because there is no line in the sand as to where phones end and tablets start, especially with these larger Galaxy devices and upcoming Galaxy Mega.

sentinelsx
Apr 10, 2013, 12:43 PM

The size of newer S4 is smaller than the size of old s3 which houses a smaller screen too.

Crazy, I agree.

However, I think I'll be fine with that as the s3 is what I consider to be borderline portable for me.

F123D
Apr 10, 2013, 01:03 PM
a phone is a phone

Maybe if it was 1998.

It's 2013. A phone is not just a phone.

Hail Caesar
Apr 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
The size of newer S4 is smaller than the size of old s3 which houses a smaller screen too.

Crazy, I agree.

However, I think I'll be fine with that as the s3 is what I consider to be borderline portable for me.

I thought this thread was about the so called "mega"? Not the S4.

----------

Maybe if it was 1998.

Way to pick and choose what you want from what I posted. :D

ucfgrad93
Apr 10, 2013, 02:07 PM

I agree it is nice to have choices. But I'm with Hail Caesar and won't be buying one.

daneoni
Apr 11, 2013, 05:30 AM
The phones are official, coming to market in May (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/11/4212122/samsung-galaxy-mega-58-63-pictures-specs-release-date).

Why?

snorkelman
Apr 11, 2013, 06:34 AM
Comes down to the individuals usage patterns; for some folks it would be a case of why not

Single sim contract without need for any premium to tether (versus a tablet tethered to a phone, or a second sim for the tablet itself)

One less device to keep charged.

One less device to carry around.

Granted not going to be all that useful if you want to hold it up to the side of your head while on a call, but for those who seem to have been born with a bluetooth earpiece permanently plugged in their ear that's not an issue either.

nick_elt
Apr 11, 2013, 06:46 AM
they are official. might mean the note 3 stays at 5.55" which will be a good thing. The megas aren't as high spec as the note line so no it won't be replaced.

----------

That could be a possibility, but it seems unlikely. However, I find it hard to believe that Samsung would release these 2 phones, and then a Note 3 later on.

this is not a note and the note is higher spec so no chance in hell they will get rid of the highly popular note

The13thDoctor
Apr 11, 2013, 06:54 AM
holding out for the Mega II, which might have a 10 inch screen.

mattopotamus
Apr 11, 2013, 07:27 AM
The phones are official, coming to market in May (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/11/4212122/samsung-galaxy-mega-58-63-pictures-specs-release-date).

Why?

wow, it makes the note 2 look small in those photos.

adder7712
Apr 11, 2013, 07:32 AM
Based on the specs, they are not by any means flagship devices.

Why? Dual-core CPU and 720p and qHD screens for a 2013 device.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 11, 2013, 07:59 AM
Just to recap....they have a 4.8" GS3, a 4.9" GS4, a 5.5" GN2, a 5.8" GM, a 6.3" GM, a 7" Galaxy Tab, and a 8" Galaxy Note.

At this point Samsung's biggest competition in the Android market is themselves. Going to be a lot of sales cannibalization going on here.

ChrisTX
Apr 11, 2013, 08:04 AM
they are official. might mean the note 3 stays at 5.55" which will be a good thing. The megas aren't as high spec as the note line so no it won't be replaced.

----------

this is not a note and the note is higher spec so no chance in hell they will get rid of the highly popular note

Agreed, at the time of my original post though I didn't know theses were going to be mid range. CTIA will provide a Note 3 launch though.

JediZenMaster
Apr 11, 2013, 08:27 AM
I think if it gets any bigger its going to border on foolishness.

Kashsystems
Apr 11, 2013, 08:34 AM
In comparison to the Note II

http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/samsung-galaxy-mega-handson-review-14-640x424.jpg

sneaky butcher
Apr 11, 2013, 08:38 AM
Based on the specs, they are not by any means flagship devices.

Why? Dual-core CPU and 720p and qHD screens for a 2013 device.

samsung does weird things like the s3 mini which isnt even as good a spec as the galaxy s2. I'm looking for a 4.3inch power phone but android manufacturers just arn't catering to me at all.

theyre going bigger and bigger i want something that i can strap to my arm when out running. these ipad size things are just too big :/

s4 mini is rumoured to be released this year. it might just fit my criteria

Rogifan
Apr 11, 2013, 08:39 AM
Wow talk about making stuff just because you can. What's the point of all these different sizes? Of course people will say choice, but when do so many different sizes that aren't really that noticeably different become too much choice and just confusing. Wen you have comments on Engadget making jokes you know it's bad....they're usually very pro-Samsung.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/11/samsung-galaxy-mega-6-3-5-8/

TacticalDesire
Apr 11, 2013, 08:45 AM
I think you could make a case for the 6.3 inch phone. If I didnt need use my phone one handed all the time I'd consider it but the 5.8 is just too close to the note 2.

Hail Caesar
Apr 11, 2013, 08:50 AM
Samsung innovation, we just make it bigger and bigger! They better slow down on all this innovation, they are showing everyone up.

Oh did you see the new samsung phone?

Yeah, it was awesome.

what new features did they add?

None, they made it bigger though!

Really, if only the other hardware companies could keep up with this innovation.

I know what you mean, Samsung offers us, big, bigger, biggest, enormous, wooly mammoth, and then finally Brontosaurus. So much innovation.

I know I am having a head swell. "faints"

sentinelsx
Apr 11, 2013, 09:29 AM
I thought this thread was about the so called "mega"? Not the S4.

----------

Way to pick and choose what you want from what I posted. :D

It is hard to not read too much into posts on DA INTERNET lol.

My apologies.

Anyways, i guess the phablet lovers might like those. I already find the Note 2 comical, so these are out for me.

MacRumorUser
Apr 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
I dont understand the need to make a massive phone and saddle it with QHD screen in case of the 5.8 and 720p (though that's not too bad) in the 6.3, let alone very mid range processor and memory ?

Seems a little backward to me ?

sneaky butcher
Apr 11, 2013, 01:54 PM
I dont understand the need to make a massive phone and saddle it with QHD screen in case of the 5.8 and 720p (though that's not too bad) in the 6.3, let alone very mid range processor and memory ?

its for the price points they will be sold at. cheaper than s4 or note 2/3. Basically a mid/low range phablet option

MacRumorUser
Apr 11, 2013, 02:06 PM
its for the price points they will be sold at. cheaper than s4 or note 2/3. Basically a mid/low range phablet option

Surely they could have just continued to offer the Note 2 when the Note 3 comes out and reduce it's cost ?

I'm sure they'll find a market. That being said even if it was 1080p and quad core a 5.8" or 6.3" device is out of my comfort zone to be used as a phone.

F123D
Apr 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
I'm not seeing the issue here. You don't want a gigantic phone, don't buy it. I'm certainly not going to. Samsung isn't making us choose between a 5.8" and 6.3" screen, there are other options (and other manufacturers) to choose from if you want an android device.

It's not like you're being forced to choose between a 3.5" and 4" screen..

----------

they are official. might mean the note 3 stays at 5.55" which will be a good thing.

I could see Samsung making the Note III 5.7" without making the phone any larger.

TacticalDesire
Apr 11, 2013, 03:42 PM

Do phones even need a faster processor and more ram at this point? For email, calendar, web browsing, any app and game on the play store etc. a 1.7Ghz Dual Core is plenty. Software still has plenty of catching up. Quads are nice on the spec sheet but have have, and will continue to have little utility in a phone until you can dock it and run a full OS.

theluggage
Apr 11, 2013, 04:58 PM

Maybe they've identified a market among people with poor eyesight or poor co-odination? Seriously - an older person would have problems with an iPhone-sized device, and when you've saturated the yoof market...

Anyway, proof of the pudding is in the eating - let's see who buys it. I like my Note II despite initial scepticism... but I think this does sound like an instance of "If some is good, more is better!" and they've broken Apple's golden rule of keeping a fairly sensible, simple product line-up. The "Galaxy S' line with the Mini, S3 and Note seemed fairly sensible - now we have the Galaxy Mega, the Galaxy Not As Big As The Mega But Bigger Than The S4, and the Galaxy Slightly Bigger Than The S4 But With A Pen.

daneoni
Apr 11, 2013, 06:05 PM
Wow...

Samsung Android Screen Sizes:
-2.8"
-3.14"
-3.2"
-3.4"
-3.5"
-3.6"
-3.65"
-3.7"
-3.97"
-4"
-4.2"
-4.27"
-4.3"
-4.5"
-4.52"
-4.65"
-4.8"
-5"
-5.3"
-5.5"
-5.8"
-6.3"
-7"
-7.7"
-8"
-10"
-10.1"

AmtrakRider
Apr 11, 2013, 06:22 PM
I guess my feeling that my note 2 would be just a little better at 5.8in aren't shared by to many people. I hope the note 3 is 5.8in although I'm not sure you could sell me at 6.3in. But I laughed at the size of the note at first and now everything feels to small.

tjl3
Apr 12, 2013, 08:53 AM
I'm not seeing the issue here. You don't want a gigantic phone, don't buy it. I'm certainly not going to. Samsung isn't making us choose between a 5.8" and 6.3" screen, there are other options (and other manufacturers) to choose from if you want an android device.

It's not like you're being forced to choose between a 3.5" and 4" screen..

----------

I could see Samsung making the Note III 5.7" without making the phone any larger.

Interesting. But they're making you choose between 5" and 5.5" right now if you want the latest and greatest. If you want a Samsung Galaxy "Mega" with an HD display or quad core processor, you're SOL. If you want a Galaxy S3 Mini w/ similar specs, nope. You've got to live w/ certain concessions.

Prototypical
Apr 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
It's not like you're being forced to choose between a 3.5" and 4" screen...

No, but you're forced to choose anything BUT those if you want a high-end Android device. Everything is 4.7"+ and getting larger with every generation. For those of us who aren't interested in watching movies or playing games on our phones, it would be nice to have a flagship model with a 4.0-4.5" screen. I'd gladly sacrifice some screen space for pocketability and hand-holdability.

F123D
Apr 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
No, but you're forced to choose anything BUT those if you want a high-end Android device. Everything is 4.7"+ and getting larger with every generation. For those of us who aren't interested in watching movies or playing games on our phones, it would be nice to have a flagship model with a 4.0-4.5" screen. I'd gladly sacrifice some screen space for pocketability and hand-holdability.

If you aren't using your phone for media or gaming, do you honestly need a fully spec'd out high end phone then?

----------

Interesting. But they're making you choose between 5" and 5.5" right now if you want the latest and greatest. If you want a Samsung Galaxy "Mega" with an HD display or quad core processor, you're SOL. If you want a Galaxy S3 Mini w/ similar specs, nope. You've got to live w/ certain concessions.

At least there's still options.

tjl3
Apr 12, 2013, 03:56 PM

2 options v 1 option. If you consider each company offering an uncompromised user experience. Else, ya you're right, Samsung offers 100s of options, going back to all of their dumbphones/flip phones.

hyteckit
Apr 13, 2013, 09:22 PM
If you aren't using your phone for media or gaming, do you honestly need a fully spec'd out high end phone then?

Yeah. Web browsing, photo & video capturing/processing, GPS, and apps.

Donvald
Apr 14, 2013, 11:50 AM
Wow talk about making stuff just because you can. What's the point of all these different sizes? Of course people will say choice, but when do so many different sizes that aren't really that noticeably different become too much choice and just confusing. Wen you have comments on Engadget making jokes you know it's bad....they're usually very pro-Samsung.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/11/samsung-galaxy-mega-6-3-5-8/

I have a feeling Samsung will do just fine.

In regards to Engadget their fans are tech heads like here and don't represent the bigger market. I mean does anyone think people do the sort of research we would do here before buying a new phone?

I have a colleague who didn't know how to download apps from the apple store.
A friend with an sg3 who was sending SMS to family abroad instead of what's app etc. didn't know of it or Skype.

Lots of people buy these devices for a couple of reasons only and never really get the smartphone thing. I'm always surprised how many people lack tech knowledge but have multiple high tech devices.

The mega will be bought despite engadgets amusement and probably bought by groups that we are surprised by. I'm thinking women in particular.

iPad5
Apr 14, 2013, 04:02 PM
Same old boring design.... I'm ready to poke fun of people with this crazy Mega phones if I ever see one in the wild

F123D
Apr 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah. Web browsing, photo & video capturing/processing, GPS, and apps.

Don't need a fully spec'd out phone for any of this.

Irishman
Apr 15, 2013, 08:39 AM
Maybe if it was 1998.

Which currently shipping smartphone from the major names doesn't do the basics with some reasonable level of execution?

I dare say there isn't one. Therefore, a phone is just a phone.

I got his point.

----------

This should be your default response to every thread in Alternatives. :)

LOL

appletoandroid
Apr 15, 2013, 09:43 AM
Which currently shipping smartphone from the major names doesn't do the basics with some reasonable level of execution?

I dare say there isn't one. Therefore, a phone is just a phone.

I got his point.

----------

This should be your default response to every thread in Alternatives. :)

LOL

Lol are u joking? iPhone 5 can't multitask, has no widgets, no led notification light, its stuck in the past with its tiny screen. Need me to go on. Get out of here if you think iPhone 5 can handle basic tasks for today's consumers.

Dontazemebro
Apr 15, 2013, 03:04 PM
I can understand the 6.3 because it at least gives you a sizable difference from the Note on the large end and tablet on smaller end.

But why the 5.8?

Irishman
Apr 15, 2013, 04:55 PM
Lol are u joking? iPhone 5 can't multitask, has no widgets, no led notification light, its stuck in the past with its tiny screen. Need me to go on. Get out of here if you think iPhone 5 can handle basic tasks for today's consumers.

Can't tell if serious...:eek:

lbhskier37
Apr 16, 2013, 04:29 AM

Thank you for pointing out that my iPhone 5 lacked such basic features the modern consumer like me requires like a light that tells me to look at my phone. I will be sure to return it at once so I can get with the times.

JHUFrank
Apr 16, 2013, 07:16 AM
I could do a 5.8, but a 6.3 might be stretching it a bit.

onthecouchagain
Apr 16, 2013, 02:11 PM
Again, choice -- it's a beautiful thing.

http://9to5google.com/2013/04/16/motorola-and-google-to-release-stock-android-phones-with-less-overlay-and-smaller-form-factor-in-second-half-of-2013/

Motorola and Google to release stock Android phones with less overlay and smaller form-factor in second half of 2013

Toltepeceno
Apr 16, 2013, 03:24 PM

Good to see you are open minded.

----------

Again, choice -- it's a beautiful thing.

Agreed.