PDA

View Full Version : Never....Thought I'd do this.....moved to Windows Phone

mikkker007
Apr 7, 2013, 12:06 AM
Having been an apple Fanboy since the Bondi Blue iMac.....
Currently owning...... Macbook Air/ipad mini/ATV/2 x iphone5's..........

I bought the Nokia Lumia 920.............

Windows Phone 8. Wow...... fantastic!! thats all I have to say.
innovation, style, bloody hell!!! what happened Apple??!!!!!

How do u let this happen?
Gorgeous, interactive interface.... just a pleasure to drive...... coupled with Nokia's usual build.....this IS a formidable platform. Im converted.
Something I thought would NEVER happen....
I Still love iOS/ipad and my Mac, but iPhone and or ios7, better have some new tricks up its sleeve otherwise........:apple:

blueroom
Apr 7, 2013, 12:09 AM
Let's see how long it takes Microsoft to drop the ball on WP8.

Roessnakhan
Apr 7, 2013, 12:33 AM
I've used iOS since 2007 (Android off/on in that time too), but I love the Windows Phone UI, going back further, I loved the Zune UI as well. It's just really pleasant to me, minimalist and flat.

Probably only thing keeping me away from Windows Phone is the app market.

astral125
Apr 7, 2013, 12:40 AM
, bloody hell!!!

From this point on I read your post in a british accent.

cipher29
Apr 7, 2013, 12:41 AM
As someone who went to the 920 and came back, you will see the warts...

The big things I noticed after the honeymoon phase:

1) Factory restoring your device will fail 50% of the time and leave you with sprockets that do nothing.. You'll have to let the phone just die and hope it comes back.

2) Dust under the front facing camera. This will happen.

3) The battery will come loose inside..

4) Backup/Restore is a cluster... You can ONLY restore at ONE point which is when you first boot a fresh factory restored phone. It can only be restored from 3G/LTE and not WiFI as the restore prompt is before you configure an access-point.

5) Your data is all backed up UNENCRYPTED into Microsoft's cloud. You ok backing your phone up into the cloud with no encryption and no option for a local backup?

6) The music player is just atrocious.

7) IE doesn't use WebKit. You make think this isn't an issue, just wait a few weeks until you've done a decent amount of browsing to see how many sites won't support it properly.

8) Those jumbo 75 point fonts may look cool now, but, after a few weeks you'll realize they are just annoying and needlessly take up space.

9) No Do Not Disturb.

10) One volume for EVERYTHING. Meaning, turn down the volume in music, it turns down your ringtone.. WTF .

11) The camera is overrated.. You'll see what I mean

12) Battery life is inconsistent. One day it'll be amazing, the next terrible. It also takes forever to charge.

13) It is heavy. At first you'll think it's magical build quality, after a few weeks it becomes this monster weighted thing in your pocket.

14) The screen scratches insanely easily.

15) The apps suck. App quality is just brutal in so many apps (Facebook for example).

16) No Airplay etc.. May not seem like a big deal, but, you'll realize how annoying it is to connect to anything.

17) Bluetooth Audio is buggy as hell. It'll work sometimes, and take 20 mins to get working other times.

18) Microsoft is slow to update it. Only 1 update so far from Microsoft and a million from Nokia. Nokia seems to be the only one who cares about the platform.

19) No encryption unless the company you work for forces it via ActiveSync. You can't enable encryption by yourself (done by default on the iPhone).

20) WP is straight up buggy.. Get ready for random freezes, flickering screens and just random annoyances.

21) App resuming.. OMG really? Apps freeze and take time to resume to open again?

I had the 920 since November and picked up an iPhone again last week. Relieved to have common sense features back that the WP is still missing.

That said, the UI is fresh, wireless charging and SkyDrive are all pretty decent. I think WP will eventually get there (I really hope it does), but, the warts will show.

tech4all
Apr 7, 2013, 12:43 AM
...lots of stuff...

Now you're just being picky :p

cipher29
Apr 7, 2013, 12:48 AM
Oh.. And one more thing.. When you send it in for a warranty replacement (which you will, everyone has.. Find someone who has had a 920 for more than a month who hasn't replaced it.) you'll learn you have to send it to Nokia for 2-3 weeks and eventually get a replacement (and do what for a phone in that time?)

You'll miss the ability to stroll into the Apple store and get a on-demand replacement.

Max(IT)
Apr 7, 2013, 03:53 AM
Use it for a couple of months and we'll speak about this again ...

I'm quite disappointed about Lumia, and the first impression was very very good

Italianblend
Apr 7, 2013, 04:20 AM
It's more like they're just letting us know that there is more stuff out there an apple. I'm glad for him/her and I would probably own a windows phone too if the App store were better.

It's funny how apple people get offended or defensive when people suggest something different. It's always. "Yeah come back in a week and tell us the same thing," or "don't feed the troll and his/her anti-apple agenda"

Why can't: apple users look at it like "yeah I guess windows phone has its good points. Some things are probably different than ios and quite refreshing."

The dude/ett even stated that they still prefer apple but want to see something fresh from ios7. Competition is always good for the consumers. I want ios to be new too. Does that mean I think you're all stupid for liking ios for what it is now? Of course not. Whatever floats your boat.

Lastly: can't we all just get along?? :)

StoneJack
Apr 7, 2013, 04:24 AM
As someone who went to the 920 and came back, you will see the warts...

The big things I noticed after the honeymoon phase:

1) Factory restoring your device will fail 50% of the time and leave you with sprockets that do nothing.. You'll have to let the phone just die and hope it comes back.

2) Dust under the front facing camera. This will happen.

3) The battery will come loose inside..

4) Backup/Restore is a cluster... You can ONLY restore at ONE point which is when you first boot a fresh factory restored phone. It can only be restored from 3G/LTE and not WiFI as the restore prompt is before you configure an access-point.

5) Your data is all backed up UNENCRYPTED into Microsoft's cloud. You ok backing your phone up into the cloud with no encryption and no option for a local backup?

6) The music player is just atrocious.

7) IE doesn't use WebKit. You make think this isn't an issue, just wait a few weeks until you've done a decent amount of browsing to see how many sites won't support it properly.

8) Those jumbo 75 point fonts may look cool now, but, after a few weeks you'll realize they are just annoying and needlessly take up space.

9) No Do Not Disturb.

10) One volume for EVERYTHING. Meaning, turn down the volume in music, it turns down your ringtone.. WTF .

11) The camera is overrated.. You'll see what I mean

12) Battery life is inconsistent. One day it'll be amazing, the next terrible. It also takes forever to charge.

13) It is heavy. At first you'll think it's magical build quality, after a few weeks it becomes this monster weighted thing in your pocket.

14) The screen scratches insanely easily.

15) The apps suck. App quality is just brutal in so many apps (Facebook for example).

16) No Airplay etc.. May not seem like a big deal, but, you'll realize how annoying it is to connect to anything.

17) Bluetooth Audio is buggy as hell. It'll work sometimes, and take 20 mins to get working other times.

18) Microsoft is slow to update it. Only 1 update so far from Microsoft and a million from Nokia. Nokia seems to be the only one who cares about the platform.

19) No encryption unless the company you work for forces it via ActiveSync. You can't enable encryption by yourself (done by default on the iPhone).

20) WP is straight up buggy.. Get ready for random freezes, flickering screens and just random annoyances.

21) App resuming.. OMG really? Apps freeze and take time to resume to open again?

I had the 920 since November and picked up an iPhone again last week. Relieved to have common sense features back that the WP is still missing.

That said, the UI is fresh, wireless charging and SkyDrive are all pretty decent. I think WP will eventually get there (I really hope it does), but, the warts will show.

BTW, aren't you Cipher from MacNN forums?
But a good insight anyway

osofast240sx
Apr 7, 2013, 05:00 AM

Gorgeous, interactive interface.... just a pleasure to drive...... coupled with Nokia's usual build.....this IS a formidable platform. Im converted.
I Still love iOS/ipad and my Mac, but iPhone and or ios7, better have some new tricks up its sleeve otherwise........:apple:
Innovative please explain. So your all invested in the apple ecosystem then you just randomly buy a windows phone? If your bored of your phone your either using it too much or not productively.

TheRainKing
Apr 7, 2013, 06:36 AM
Windows 8 is diabolical. The UI is crap and it looks ugly.

BHP41
Apr 7, 2013, 07:46 AM

So the WP8 you bought is fantastic in your words, yet it works with nothing else you own. :confused:

Innovative please explain. So your all invested in the apple ecosystem then you just randomly buy a windows phone? If your bored of your phone your either using it too much or not productively.

I think people have gotten in to this, "i have to be on my phone 24/7 thing". They get bored with their phone and want something new. So they get something new and the cycle continues. I guess i should say tech people, because most of the real world actually lives life outside of a computer box. Guess thats why people continue to buy the iphone even though, its"small" screen is waaaayyy behind and not useful. :rolleyes:

Comments like these always remind me of the Toyota commercial.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=toyota%20facebook%20commercial&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTUGmcb3mhLM&ei=1WhhUYabMIqC9QSVioGgDw&usg=AFQjCNGrxUQa7Rru-U87BjnthFQNdNFUdg&bvm=bv.44770516,d.eWU

cwwilson
Apr 7, 2013, 07:46 AM
I have to agree with Cypher on this one. I remember switching from my iPhone 4 to the Lumia 900 when it first came out and I thought it was the greatest invention of all time for a short while but then all the little flaws start to rear their ugly head in time. Windows Phone is really, and I mean REALLY far behind iOS and Android.

MrNomNoms
Apr 7, 2013, 07:51 AM

Nice to hear that you had a positive experience because I went through three weeks of hell trying to get a refund off Nokia because my phone kept on freezing - sent it away to get 'repaired' and all they did was reload the software. Rinse and repeat a couple of times and I was given a refund - went back to the iPhone. Sorry but the iPhone at this stage is like McDonalds - never bad but at the same time never fantastic but always what you expect each and every time you buy one.

pricej636
Apr 7, 2013, 09:15 AM
I have to agree with Cypher on this one. I remember switching from my iPhone 4 to the Lumia 900 when it first came out and I thought it was the greatest invention of all time for a short while but then all the little flaws start to rear their ugly head in time. Windows Phone is really, and I mean REALLY far behind iOS and Android.

Did the same thing, lasted all of a week before I was scrambling trying to get back to iOS. The whole concept of Windows Phone is great, but its in the details that Windows Phone is lacking. Once you get bored with the live tiles its all downhill from there.

Grayburn
Apr 7, 2013, 09:22 AM
I won a Lumia 800 and have trialled a Lumia 920.

Used both for about a day, sold the 800 & sent back the 920.

WP8 looks okay but under the hood it's terrible.

CEmajr
Apr 7, 2013, 09:25 AM
Like others have said, the novelty will wear off quick when you start to realize the little things that are missing compared to iOS. WP is not yet a mature smartphone OS and still needs quite a bit of work to catch up and plug the holes. If you're just a basic user though it might be ok.

ucfgrad93
Apr 7, 2013, 10:51 AM
It is nice to have choices. I hope you enjoy your new phone OP.

QCassidy352
Apr 7, 2013, 10:55 AM
It's new, it's different. So of course it's going to seem more innovative and exciting. Let's see how you feel about it after having had it for as long as you had the iPhone.

dvoros
Apr 7, 2013, 11:14 AM
:o Good for you. Apple's planned intro of an iPhone 5s doesn't cut it for me. They have certainly dropped the ball and then some. They are in a very stagnant stage right now.:(

cipher29
Apr 7, 2013, 11:25 AM
BTW, aren't you Cipher from MacNN forums?
But a good insight anyway

Nope.. Different person :p

StoneJack
Apr 7, 2013, 12:06 PM
nope.. Different person :p

ok :)

----------

I guess its nothing wrong to see WP as an innovation.

The strong point of iOS is its functional focus. Apps represent different functions which the phone can perform, they are very visual, clear and number of them is like unlimited. The strong focus on apps is represented by rows of apps and information is limited in iOS presentation, and notification system is weak. Therefore, iOS is, in its essence, a function OS. This approach has been very much used by Android as well.

Windows Phone is very much transaction focused, mail, photos, thats the reason for live tiles and information exchange. Its so weaker in apps/functions that it has to focus on something else like information in order to compete with iOS. Therefore, WP is, in essence, an notification OS. This concept has been further developed by Facebook to the extent of creating FB notification OS based on Android. This approach can fully be justified as innovative (doesn't imply that iOS is not innovative either).

syd430
Apr 7, 2013, 12:08 PM
come back when the honeymoon is over and you're filing the divorce papers...

charlituna
Apr 7, 2013, 12:16 PM
:o Good for you. Apple's planned intro of an iPhone 5s doesn't cut it for me. They have certainly dropped the ball and then some. They are in a very stagnant stage right now.:(

Are they really? Or is the issue that you are one of the 5% who are not the core focus for their plans, particularly in terms of iOS and thus they aren't including the fancy features an experienced user like yourself would want because you know the current stuff inside and out and are bored with their 'your grandma can use it' focus

I'm going with the latter. In fact I would say that is likely the truth for everyone in these forums

----------

I guess its nothing wrong to see WP as an innovation.

Even though on the tech side I think they have mostly failed, I do give MS props for their 'how totally different than the Apple UI can we get' attempts. Until someone pulls a stunt like that, we don't see anything new. It's easy to say you are right when there's nothing else out there. I don't like the Windows Phone UI myself for my needs but for those that it works for I'm happy for them

irDigital0l
Apr 7, 2013, 12:18 PM
Let's see how long it takes Microsoft to drop the ball on WP8.

Its not bad. Its amazing on phones and tablets.

Going to take some time getting used to Windows 8 on PC, but if your on this forum, chances are its won't be a challenge. Windows Blue (8.1) will make things easier.

tekno
Apr 7, 2013, 12:42 PM

osofast240sx - you may like to take a quick watch of the first 10 seconds of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhCzSas07c

wxman2003
Apr 7, 2013, 12:59 PM
And your point is?

Why should it bother you as much as it obviously does?

If not for the competition iPhones would suffer.

And your point being? Why should it bother you what I post? Seems to bother you more.

Prime85
Apr 7, 2013, 01:02 PM
Its not bad. Its amazing on phones and tablets.

Going to take some time getting used to Windows 8 on PC, but if your on this forum, chances are its won't be a challenge. Windows Blue (8.1) will make things easier.

Windows 8 is horrible, i had it running on my parallels for about a week. Ended up switching back to Win7. Seems Win7 is like winXP where as Win8 is Vista.

lordofthereef
Apr 7, 2013, 01:14 PM
The phone itself is great. Solid, gorgeous display, feels good in the hand. WP* is still missing a few things IMO. Glad you are enjoying the phone. MS just might be making a comeback. They just need to working on tying WP8 in with Windows 8 and this thing could be a home run for them.

StoneJack
Apr 7, 2013, 01:24 PM
Speaking as a man who has invested so much in Apple ecosystem, what I heard is that for majority of Apple users its actually very hard to move to other systems, be it Android or Windows Phone. Casual users - maybe, those who bought hundreds of dollars of iOS apps and iPhone accessories - can't say for others, but for me its meaningless. iPhones with those apps perform so well, that an excess of 0.5 inch of display on Android phone plus all the hussle of new system (i tried once to fix wireless on wife's Android - that was a nightmare), really do not mean much to me. So, even if WP looks so nice and performs that well, for me the value of Apple ecosystem is so much higher that even nicest WP phone may not entice me. Its perfect probably for new users or whoever.

lordofthereef
Apr 7, 2013, 01:31 PM

I can list a few things that Nokia added to this phone that are industry leading. Of course, this is a bit of opinion.

Overall looks: In this day and age, when everyone is ripping on one phone or the other for copying looks, the Lumia looks quite different. You see the phone, and you know what it is. Or, if you are unfamiliar with Lumia, you know that it is different from other touchscreen phones just by looking at it.

Camera: there was a bit of an issue here when the phone first launched. Video was amazing, but there was some blur after proccesing in still images. This has been fixed, and the camera is very, VERY good. Since the iPhone 4, I feel iPhone lead the pack with camera quality. I'd say the Lumia 920 is on top here.

Screen: You can use the thing with gloves on. And see it very well in any light, even in direct sunlight. Both points are a pretty big deal. I think everyone can relate to having a tough time seeing what is on their screen in the sun. People in cold climates can relate to how annoying it is answering the phone with gloves on.

Inductive Charging: I have seen people on both ends of this. It all boils down to convenience. It's a little bit like Apple's lightning cable that can be plugged in either way. It's neat. It's convenient. You either care or you don't. Either way, it's in there.

Maps/navigation: They are just good. Not as good as Google, but better than or equal to Apple's maps by most accounts. There is also a unique feature of giving you walking turn by turn directions. That is quite clever. Because when you walk someplace, especially the big city, you can often take shortcuts where you wouldn't normally be able to with automobile, or even bike. [I do believe these maps are essentially available to all WP8 users, so it's not a unique L920 feature, but there sure are some innovative twists to them.]

------------------
Where the phone falls short is in the OS; I won't call it half-baked. Maybe 3/4-baked, or something like that. WP8 is a bit like iOS in that OEMs can't really do much to it. If Apple decided to license out iOS, this is what we would have. As a result, Nokia is a bit at the mercy of MS, in terms of adding/tweaking features. Apparently Nokia is the most influential OEM in these cases. They are also the only OEM who have embraced WP8 and only WP8, so they have the most to gain (and lose).

----------

Speaking as a man who has invested so much in Apple ecosystem, what I heard is that for majority of Apple users its actually very hard to move to other systems, be it Android or Windows Phone. Casual users - maybe, those who bought hundreds of dollars of iOS apps and iPhone accessories - can't say for others, but for me its meaningless. iPhones with those apps perform so well, that an excess of 0.5 inch of display on Android phone plus all the hussle of new system (i tried once to fix wireless on wife's Android - that was a nightmare), really do not mean much to me. So, even if WP looks so nice and performs that well, for me the value of Apple ecosystem is so much higher that even nicest WP phone may not entice me. Its perfect probably for new users or whoever.

I think you are right. How many of those $100's in apps do we actual use. Probably not many. But it's still really hard to get rid of that OS, isn't it? It's the reason my wife made us get rid of the Nexus 7 and we bought an iPad mini to replace it. You know what she loaded on the thing? A couple diner dash games, and some other (free) stuff. Yup... she really was worried about all of those apps we spent money on. HAHA.

I am sort of intrigued by Blackberry for this reason. They allow sideloading of Android apps. Granted, many of them seem to not work very well (lol), but if they fix that problem, they may be able to tap a bit more into the Android market.

----------

Windows 8 is horrible, i had it running on my parallels for about a week. Ended up switching back to Win7. Seems Win7 is like winXP where as Win8 is Vista.

What was horrible about it, in your opinion?

osofast240sx
Apr 7, 2013, 03:33 PM
I can list a few things that Nokia added to this phone that are industry leading. once a phone freezes its a no can do. There is nothing innovative about WP, mabey comparable. Name some features that are just a must have on this phone. Something that android and iOS don't have.

Futurix
Apr 7, 2013, 04:25 PM
Windows Phone is a good platform for those who never had a smartphone before - however if you had iOS or Android device before, it will be a major disappointment sooner or later.

It also has a few absolutely pig-headed limitations of "what were they thinking??" type. Plus it does not help that WP is a bastard child that does not get enough priority from Microsoft.

Being a Microsoft-platform developer with 10+ years of experience, I used WP7 device as my main phone since UK launch in October 2010 for a year. Then I had a chance to use iPhone 4 for a week, and after that the process of being sucked into Apple ecosystem has started (and it was completed last night when I chucked away my old Dell and replaced it with iMac). I still use WP as one of my phones (HTC 8X), but even the latest and the greatest models suck in comparison with iPhones and Androids.

lordofthereef
Apr 7, 2013, 06:18 PM
once a phone freezes its a no can do. There is nothing innovative about WP, mabey comparable. Name some features that are just a must have on this phone. Something that android and iOS don't have.

It did have a freezing issue, which is why I originally returned mine. It was also randomly rebooting. This was fixed though, but I agree it never should have launched with these issues in the first place.

Honestly, the best feature of WP8, for me, is the live tiles. They aren't quite widgets. They aren't quite just icons. Is that a killer feature? I am guessing you would say no, which is fine. However it is a feature that neither OS really has.

Also, I mentioned a few things about the screen. At the time, I don't think any other devices/manufacturers offered a screen that could be used with a gloved hand AND had such great viewability outdoors (it really is quite remarkable how usable that thing is in direct sunlight). As I said before, Nokia can't really do a whole lot to the OS itself. They did do quite a few nifty things with the hardware though, as I've already said.

Oh, I also mentioned Nokia maps, giving you turn by turn walking directions. Again, is this a killer feature? To you, maybe not. AFAIK, nobody else offers it though.

scott craft
Apr 7, 2013, 06:54 PM
I think WP8 is just fine. Yes it does have weak points and it isn't as evolved as android or iOS. I've used android quite a bit and I see no reason to go back from WP. I haven't used an iPhone as my personal phone other than playing with my wife's iPhone and my son's iPod, so I cant really comment on using an iPhone as a daily driver compared to WP. The biggest weaknesses WP has right now as I see it is a lack of a notification center and the app selection (and the horrible Facebook app). I expect some sort of notification center down the road and apps will come when/if market share increases. As far as Nokia I had an 822 and had many problems with it. After a couple of replacements Verizon let me switch to an 8X which has been fairly trouble free.

roxxette
Apr 7, 2013, 10:40 PM
My experience with a lumia 900 was very pleasent, it only lacks on the app department imo and battery life was pretty good.

Skype on windows phone 8 is a major point.

b166er
Apr 8, 2013, 12:13 AM
I really like my 920. I have experienced some of the usual problems, but none of the major ones. My only annoyance with the hardware is the dust under the front camera. The back camera is insanely good- the best I've ever seen on a phone and better than my not very old point and shoot in a lot of ways.

My main gripes with the software: No unified notification center, so if you aren't looking at the screen and if you don't have that particular app pinned, you miss the notification. The volume settings are universal which is very annoying. The home screen leaves a huge gap at the top for toast notifications, but what are the odds you will see said notification from the home screen? Chances are good you'll be in an app. Most of us don't just stare at the home screen, even with live tiles.

But in general I think it's a great phone and the WP8 marketplace is getting better by the day. I'm glad I gave WP8 a fair chance, although I probably will go to Android in the near future. If MS spent some time working on some of the bugs WP8 could be a huge deal.

Liquorpuki
Apr 8, 2013, 04:05 PM
I like WP8 and don't miss my iPhone but I can understand why people returned it once the freshness went away. iOS has a level of polish WP8 doesn't have. WP8 has a lot of little annoyances. IE figuring out how to create a playlist on the device was a huge pain in the ass.

The app ecosystem isn't there yet. A lot of the apps that do exist are stripped down compared to their iOS versions. On the Yelp app I can't use my login, can't check in, can't write reviews, and the map integration sucks.

It all comes down to whether or not you value the data-centric approach of the OS enough to put up with the annoyances. I like the Live Tiles and People Hub more than I like looking at a static icon grid. Something I really like about my 8X is camera implementation. iOS's swipe the camera symbol to unlock, or use the volume knob to take a picture, or aim your finger at a little icon all suck in comparison.

There are rumors MS is eventually gonna merge WP8 and W8. MS's direction moving forward is mobile/PC convergence. Meanwhile Apple wants to keep (and needs to keep) mobile and PC separate.

demisb
Apr 10, 2013, 03:45 AM
Oh, I also mentioned Nokia maps, giving you turn by turn walking directions. Again, is this a killer feature? To you, maybe not. AFAIK, nobody else offers it though.

Google maps for Android does have turn by turn directions for walking, bicycle and car/motorbike ;)

0dev
Apr 10, 2013, 10:18 AM
Oh.. And one more thing.. When you send it in for a warranty replacement (which you will, everyone has.. Find someone who has had a 920 for more than a month who hasn't replaced it.) you'll learn you have to send it to Nokia for 2-3 weeks and eventually get a replacement (and do what for a phone in that time?)

You'll miss the ability to stroll into the Apple store and get a on-demand replacement.

No one I know with a Lumia has had to get a replacement. And whether or not you can walk in and get a new phone from the shop depends where you buy it from. Get the phone from John Lewis and not only will they swap it out just like Apple does but they'll give you a brand new replacement rather than a refurb.

once a phone freezes its a no can do. There is nothing innovative about WP, mabey comparable. Name some features that are just a must have on this phone. Something that android and iOS don't have.

My iPhone 4 freezes up all the time and it's a phone Apple still sell today.

Anyway, I have a few friends with WP7 and 8 phones and I've used them a bit myself. I think the platform is very nice and the UI is highly polished. My friends with Windows Phones aren't techies but they've been very happy with their devices.

For me personally, I wouldn't buy a Windows Phone because it's just as locked down as iOS and that doesn't appeal to me, plus like BB10 (which I really like a lot) it lacks apps big time, but I can appreciate it's a very nice platform nonetheless.

johnjefferson
Apr 10, 2013, 10:22 AM
Gorgeous, interactive interface.... just a pleasure to drive...... coupled with Nokia's usual build....

Says you. A whole bunch of people, myself included, find the tile interface annoying as all hell. It's a huge cluster of chaos on my home screen, not interested. Also don't care for Nokias block designs.

lordofthereef
Apr 10, 2013, 11:48 AM
Google maps for Android does have turn by turn directions for walking, bicycle and car/motorbike ;)

You're right. Apparently have had for a while. How'd I miss that?!

scott craft
Apr 10, 2013, 11:51 AM

Is this available offline? The last time an android was my primary phone it wasn't, but that might have changed since then.

0dev
Apr 10, 2013, 12:05 PM
Is this available offline? The last time an android was my primary phone it wasn't, but that might have changed since then.

You can cache certain areas of the map while you have a connection and use them offline later in Google Maps now.

scott craft
Apr 10, 2013, 01:23 PM
You can cache certain areas of the map while you have a connection and use them offline later in Google Maps now.

That's how it was when I last used Google Maps extensively. Nokia Maps are downloaded to the phone, but that's not that big of a deal for me since I live in a smaller area and rarely use navigation.

ajumbaje
Apr 19, 2013, 09:26 PM
looking at going from iphone 4s to either the Lumia 920, Blackberry Z10, or HTC One. Still weighing those options since I have over a month to decide which one to go with. Love what I am seeing on Windows Phone, blackberry has some cool features, and htc sense looks tight. I'm leaning towards the Lumia

.macbookpro.
May 6, 2013, 02:57 PM
looking at going from iphone 4s to either the Lumia 920, Blackberry Z10, or HTC One. Still weighing those options since I have over a month to decide which one to go with. Love what I am seeing on Windows Phone, blackberry has some cool features, and htc sense looks tight. I'm leaning towards the Lumia

if your still deciding... don't go for the windows phone. I have a HTC 8X which is very underrated in terms of design i think. I got it in november, loved it till about christmas. After that, I noticed lots of niggling issues, but the biggest issue is the app market. They may have 90% of the top 100 apps or however they put it, but lots of them are copycats, or aren't windows phone 8 compatible, or are much more expensive, or take months longer to come out.
I will try to sell mine and buy a Sony xperia Z instead, because after your excitement dies down, you get bore of not having those extra apps to play on.

bean dip
May 9, 2013, 01:19 PM
if your still deciding... don't go for the windows phone. I have a HTC 8X which is very underrated in terms of design i think. I got it in november, loved it till about christmas. After that, I noticed lots of niggling issues, but the biggest issue is the app market. They may have 90% of the top 100 apps or however they put it, but lots of them are copycats, or aren't windows phone 8 compatible, or are much more expensive, or take months longer to come out.
I will try to sell mine and buy a Sony xperia Z instead, because after your excitement dies down, you get bore of not having those extra apps to play on.

Pretty sad that superior tech is getting shunned because of app markets now days. If some people could handle getting angry birds a few months late then we as consumers could enjoy more choices. Sadly, developers will continue to sleep on WP and BlackBerry because of lack of install base. If WP and BlackBerry had the rich appstores that Apple and google offer it would be a different ball game. I think eventually it will happen, but not soon.

.macbookpro.
May 11, 2013, 08:44 AM
Pretty sad that superior tech is getting shunned because of app markets now days. If some people could handle getting angry birds a few months late then we as consumers could enjoy more choices. Sadly, developers will continue to sleep on WP and BlackBerry because of lack of install base. If WP and BlackBerry had the rich appstores that Apple and google offer it would be a different ball game. I think eventually it will happen, but not soon.

I think microsoft are shunning it too. Many complaints regarding the lack of obvious features, like a rotation lock or separate volume levels, but they haven't released one update since I got my phone in October.

scott craft
May 11, 2013, 08:53 AM
I think microsoft are shunning it too. Many complaints regarding the lack of obvious features, like a rotation lock or separate volume levels, but they haven't released one update since I got my phone in October.

Which phone do you have? I've gotten a couple of updates on my 8X since January. There is still plenty of functionality that is missing though.

.macbookpro.
May 11, 2013, 09:16 AM
Which phone do you have? I've gotten a couple of updates on my 8X since January. There is still plenty of functionality that is missing though.

8X on T-Mobile UK. As far as I know, I have only got a few updates from HTC, and one on the day I got it from Microsoft, which I would say doesn't count

daneoni
May 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
My problems isn't even the apps. They have 145,000 which include majority of the big ones. My problem is dearth in functionality as highlighted in post #5 of this thread. Once you get past the UI, you see that the OS significantly lacks substance and is also quite buggy.

How MS have managed to release only 1 update is beyond me. Especially given the resources they have.

scott craft
May 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
Only one of the updates I've got on my 8X added any features. It is frustrating that Microsoft is so slow to add features.

dgr874
May 13, 2013, 05:37 AM
I got tired of hearing "be patient, the updates are coming" for the last 6 months while using my Lumia 920. I went back to my iphone 5 to wait it out another cycle. The concept and integration is a brilliant idea if Microsoft can just get their act together and fix the small stuff that we all take for granted nowadays.

Black Magic
May 13, 2013, 06:41 PM
Microsoft really messed up with Windows Phone 7. I'm surprised there are any poor souls left that would go out and buy Windows Phone 8. Do they not remember how MS abandoned WP7 and forced everyone that wanted the updated OS to have to buy a new WP8 phone to get it?

There really is no need for a Windows Phone. It does absolutely nothing better than iOS or Android phones. This is magnified when you pay attention to any of the WP8 commercials. The commercials don't go into the features the phone has or what it does really great. You mostly see dancing or jokes about fans fighting each other. I get that folks want to be different, but if you are going to spend money on a phone, at a minimal try to get on a platform that has a proven track record and been around awhile.

I would never spend money to be trapped in a 2 year contract on a phone that is playing catch up to the competition and is really just a "me too" platform. To each their own.

0dev
May 14, 2013, 05:22 AM
Microsoft really messed up with Windows Phone 7. I'm surprised there are any poor souls left that would go out and buy Windows Phone 8. Do they not remember how MS abandoned WP7 and forced everyone that wanted the updated OS to have to buy a new WP8 phone to get it?

There really is no need for a Windows Phone. It does absolutely nothing better than iOS or Android phones. This is magnified when you pay attention to any of the WP8 commercials. The commercials don't go into the features the phone has or what it does really great. You mostly see dancing or jokes about fans fighting each other. I get that folks want to be different, but if you are going to spend money on a phone, at a minimal try to get on a platform that has a proven track record and been around awhile.

I would never spend money to be trapped in a 2 year contract on a phone that is playing catch up to the competition and is really just a "me too" platform. To each their own.

Windows Phone is a reasonable OS with a smooth easy to use UI, built in MS Office, and it has a lot of very decent cheap hardware running it. I think it needs some work (why the hell do they only allow BitLocker to be activated by Exchange policies FFS?) and Microsoft's marketing is completely terrible, but it's a nice platform nonetheless.

Personally I think anything which tries to break down the iOS and Android duopoly is a good thing. More competition is always good for consumers.

scott craft
May 14, 2013, 05:38 AM
Ive been using Windows Phone nearly two years and the main issue I have is that Microsoft is very slow to add new features, especially features that I feel would bring it up to par with android. I'm getting close to jumping ship if things don't improve soon.