Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikkker007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Having been an apple Fanboy since the Bondi Blue iMac.....
Currently owning...... Macbook Air/ipad mini/ATV/2 x iphone5's..........

I bought the Nokia Lumia 920.............

Windows Phone 8. Wow...... fantastic!! thats all I have to say.
innovation, style, bloody hell!!! what happened Apple??!!!!!

How do u let this happen?
Gorgeous, interactive interface.... just a pleasure to drive...... coupled with Nokia's usual build.....this IS a formidable platform. Im converted.
Something I thought would NEVER happen....
I Still love iOS/ipad and my Mac, but iPhone and or ios7, better have some new tricks up its sleeve otherwise........:apple:

Last edited by a moderator:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I've used iOS since 2007 (Android off/on in that time too), but I love the Windows Phone UI, going back further, I loved the Zune UI as well. It's just really pleasant to me, minimalist and flat.

Probably only thing keeping me away from Windows Phone is the app market.

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
As someone who went to the 920 and came back, you will see the warts...

The big things I noticed after the honeymoon phase:

1) Factory restoring your device will fail 50% of the time and leave you with sprockets that do nothing.. You'll have to let the phone just die and hope it comes back.

2) Dust under the front facing camera. This will happen.

3) The battery will come loose inside..

4) Backup/Restore is a cluster... You can ONLY restore at ONE point which is when you first boot a fresh factory restored phone. It can only be restored from 3G/LTE and not WiFI as the restore prompt is before you configure an access-point.

5) Your data is all backed up UNENCRYPTED into Microsoft's cloud. You ok backing your phone up into the cloud with no encryption and no option for a local backup?

6) The music player is just atrocious.

7) IE doesn't use WebKit. You make think this isn't an issue, just wait a few weeks until you've done a decent amount of browsing to see how many sites won't support it properly.

8) Those jumbo 75 point fonts may look cool now, but, after a few weeks you'll realize they are just annoying and needlessly take up space.

9) No Do Not Disturb.

10) One volume for EVERYTHING. Meaning, turn down the volume in music, it turns down your ringtone.. WTF .

11) The camera is overrated.. You'll see what I mean

12) Battery life is inconsistent. One day it'll be amazing, the next terrible. It also takes forever to charge.

13) It is heavy. At first you'll think it's magical build quality, after a few weeks it becomes this monster weighted thing in your pocket.

14) The screen scratches insanely easily.

15) The apps suck. App quality is just brutal in so many apps (Facebook for example).

16) No Airplay etc.. May not seem like a big deal, but, you'll realize how annoying it is to connect to anything.

17) Bluetooth Audio is buggy as hell. It'll work sometimes, and take 20 mins to get working other times.

18) Microsoft is slow to update it. Only 1 update so far from Microsoft and a million from Nokia. Nokia seems to be the only one who cares about the platform.

19) No encryption unless the company you work for forces it via ActiveSync. You can't enable encryption by yourself (done by default on the iPhone).

20) WP is straight up buggy.. Get ready for random freezes, flickering screens and just random annoyances.

21) App resuming.. OMG really? Apps freeze and take time to resume to open again?

I had the 920 since November and picked up an iPhone again last week. Relieved to have common sense features back that the WP is still missing.

That said, the UI is fresh, wireless charging and SkyDrive are all pretty decent. I think WP will eventually get there (I really hope it does), but, the warts will show.

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Oh.. And one more thing.. When you send it in for a warranty replacement (which you will, everyone has.. Find someone who has had a 920 for more than a month who hasn't replaced it.) you'll learn you have to send it to Nokia for 2-3 weeks and eventually get a replacement (and do what for a phone in that time?)

You'll miss the ability to stroll into the Apple store and get a on-demand replacement.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Use it for a couple of months and we'll speak about this again ...

I'm quite disappointed about Lumia, and the first impression was very very good

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
It's more like they're just letting us know that there is more stuff out there an apple. I'm glad for him/her and I would probably own a windows phone too if the App store were better.

It's funny how apple people get offended or defensive when people suggest something different. It's always. "Yeah come back in a week and tell us the same thing," or "don't feed the troll and his/her anti-apple agenda"

Why can't: apple users look at it like "yeah I guess windows phone has its good points. Some things are probably different than ios and quite refreshing."

The dude/ett even stated that they still prefer apple but want to see something fresh from ios7. Competition is always good for the consumers. I want ios to be new too. Does that mean I think you're all stupid for liking ios for what it is now? Of course not. Whatever floats your boat.

Lastly: can't we all just get along?? :)

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
As someone who went to the 920 and came back, you will see the warts...

The big things I noticed after the honeymoon phase:

1) Factory restoring your device will fail 50% of the time and leave you with sprockets that do nothing.. You'll have to let the phone just die and hope it comes back.

2) Dust under the front facing camera. This will happen.

3) The battery will come loose inside..

4) Backup/Restore is a cluster... You can ONLY restore at ONE point which is when you first boot a fresh factory restored phone. It can only be restored from 3G/LTE and not WiFI as the restore prompt is before you configure an access-point.

5) Your data is all backed up UNENCRYPTED into Microsoft's cloud. You ok backing your phone up into the cloud with no encryption and no option for a local backup?

6) The music player is just atrocious.

7) IE doesn't use WebKit. You make think this isn't an issue, just wait a few weeks until you've done a decent amount of browsing to see how many sites won't support it properly.

8) Those jumbo 75 point fonts may look cool now, but, after a few weeks you'll realize they are just annoying and needlessly take up space.

9) No Do Not Disturb.

10) One volume for EVERYTHING. Meaning, turn down the volume in music, it turns down your ringtone.. WTF .

11) The camera is overrated.. You'll see what I mean

12) Battery life is inconsistent. One day it'll be amazing, the next terrible. It also takes forever to charge.

13) It is heavy. At first you'll think it's magical build quality, after a few weeks it becomes this monster weighted thing in your pocket.

14) The screen scratches insanely easily.

15) The apps suck. App quality is just brutal in so many apps (Facebook for example).

16) No Airplay etc.. May not seem like a big deal, but, you'll realize how annoying it is to connect to anything.

17) Bluetooth Audio is buggy as hell. It'll work sometimes, and take 20 mins to get working other times.

18) Microsoft is slow to update it. Only 1 update so far from Microsoft and a million from Nokia. Nokia seems to be the only one who cares about the platform.

19) No encryption unless the company you work for forces it via ActiveSync. You can't enable encryption by yourself (done by default on the iPhone).

20) WP is straight up buggy.. Get ready for random freezes, flickering screens and just random annoyances.

21) App resuming.. OMG really? Apps freeze and take time to resume to open again?

I had the 920 since November and picked up an iPhone again last week. Relieved to have common sense features back that the WP is still missing.

That said, the UI is fresh, wireless charging and SkyDrive are all pretty decent. I think WP will eventually get there (I really hope it does), but, the warts will show.

BTW, aren't you Cipher from MacNN forums?
But a good insight anyway

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Gorgeous, interactive interface.... just a pleasure to drive...... coupled with Nokia's usual build.....this IS a formidable platform. Im converted.
I Still love iOS/ipad and my Mac, but iPhone and or ios7, better have some new tricks up its sleeve otherwise........:apple:
Innovative please explain. So your all invested in the apple ecosystem then you just randomly buy a windows phone? If your bored of your phone your either using it too much or not productively.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

So the WP8 you bought is fantastic in your words, yet it works with nothing else you own. :confused:

Innovative please explain. So your all invested in the apple ecosystem then you just randomly buy a windows phone? If your bored of your phone your either using it too much or not productively.

I think people have gotten in to this, "i have to be on my phone 24/7 thing". They get bored with their phone and want something new. So they get something new and the cycle continues. I guess i should say tech people, because most of the real world actually lives life outside of a computer box. Guess thats why people continue to buy the iphone even though, its"small" screen is waaaayyy behind and not useful. :rolleyes:

Comments like these always remind me of the Toyota commercial.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...a7Rru-U87BjnthFQNdNFUdg&bvm=bv.44770516,d.eWU

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I have to agree with Cypher on this one. I remember switching from my iPhone 4 to the Lumia 900 when it first came out and I thought it was the greatest invention of all time for a short while but then all the little flaws start to rear their ugly head in time. Windows Phone is really, and I mean REALLY far behind iOS and Android.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand

Nice to hear that you had a positive experience because I went through three weeks of hell trying to get a refund off Nokia because my phone kept on freezing - sent it away to get 'repaired' and all they did was reload the software. Rinse and repeat a couple of times and I was given a refund - went back to the iPhone. Sorry but the iPhone at this stage is like McDonalds - never bad but at the same time never fantastic but always what you expect each and every time you buy one.

pricej636

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Florida
I have to agree with Cypher on this one. I remember switching from my iPhone 4 to the Lumia 900 when it first came out and I thought it was the greatest invention of all time for a short while but then all the little flaws start to rear their ugly head in time. Windows Phone is really, and I mean REALLY far behind iOS and Android.

Did the same thing, lasted all of a week before I was scrambling trying to get back to iOS. The whole concept of Windows Phone is great, but its in the details that Windows Phone is lacking. Once you get bored with the live tiles its all downhill from there.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I won a Lumia 800 and have trialled a Lumia 920.

Used both for about a day, sold the 800 & sent back the 920.

WP8 looks okay but under the hood it's terrible.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Like others have said, the novelty will wear off quick when you start to realize the little things that are missing compared to iOS. WP is not yet a mature smartphone OS and still needs quite a bit of work to catch up and plug the holes. If you're just a basic user though it might be ok.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It's new, it's different. So of course it's going to seem more innovative and exciting. Let's see how you feel about it after having had it for as long as you had the iPhone.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
NEVER....Thought I'd do this.....

:eek: Good for you. Apple's planned intro of an iPhone 5s doesn't cut it for me. They have certainly dropped the ball and then some. They are in a very stagnant stage right now.:(

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
nope.. Different person :p

ok :)

----------

I guess its nothing wrong to see WP as an innovation.

The strong point of iOS is its functional focus. Apps represent different functions which the phone can perform, they are very visual, clear and number of them is like unlimited. The strong focus on apps is represented by rows of apps and information is limited in iOS presentation, and notification system is weak. Therefore, iOS is, in its essence, a function OS. This approach has been very much used by Android as well.

Windows Phone is very much transaction focused, mail, photos, thats the reason for live tiles and information exchange. Its so weaker in apps/functions that it has to focus on something else like information in order to compete with iOS. Therefore, WP is, in essence, an notification OS. This concept has been further developed by Facebook to the extent of creating FB notification OS based on Android. This approach can fully be justified as innovative (doesn't imply that iOS is not innovative either).

S

syd430

come back when the honeymoon is over and you're filing the divorce papers...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
:eek: Good for you. Apple's planned intro of an iPhone 5s doesn't cut it for me. They have certainly dropped the ball and then some. They are in a very stagnant stage right now.:(

Are they really? Or is the issue that you are one of the 5% who are not the core focus for their plans, particularly in terms of iOS and thus they aren't including the fancy features an experienced user like yourself would want because you know the current stuff inside and out and are bored with their 'your grandma can use it' focus

I'm going with the latter. In fact I would say that is likely the truth for everyone in these forums

----------

I guess its nothing wrong to see WP as an innovation.

Even though on the tech side I think they have mostly failed, I do give MS props for their 'how totally different than the Apple UI can we get' attempts. Until someone pulls a stunt like that, we don't see anything new. It's easy to say you are right when there's nothing else out there. I don't like the Windows Phone UI myself for my needs but for those that it works for I'm happy for them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.