PDA

View Full Version : iPod went through the washer

w00tmaster
Oct 23, 2005, 05:11 AM
and now I have a broken iPod photo 30gig. I bought it in April, AND I bought Applecare for it, do you think Apple will help me fix it? I certainly hope so...

Blue Velvet
Oct 23, 2005, 05:16 AM
No, I don't think Applecare covers misadventure... one look at it and they'll probably know that the damage has been caused by the user.

Honestly, for the life of me, I simply cannot understand how something as hefty, sizable and expensive as a full-sized iPod can get into the wash.

crap freakboy
Oct 23, 2005, 05:22 AM
I'd let it dry out and send it back saying 'it just stopped working!'.
Dishonest...sure.

w00tmaster
Oct 23, 2005, 05:23 AM
No, I don't think Applecare covers misadventure... one look at it and they'll probably know that the damage has been caused by the user.

Honestly, for the life of me, I simply cannot understand how something as hefty, sizable and expensive as a full-sized iPod can get into the wash.

Heh, actually it's hard to tell, there is no condensation on the screen(I can get it to boot up, but then it makes some funny noises and gives me a sad iPod)

Deepdale
Oct 23, 2005, 05:24 AM
The added protection plan is called AppleCare, not AppleCarelessness. Such acts are clearly not covered under it, but good luck as you give it your best shot.

Blue Velvet
Oct 23, 2005, 05:26 AM
Heh, actually it's hard to tell, there is no condensation on the screen(I can get it to boot up, but then it makes some funny noises and gives me a sad iPod)

Well, in that case, it's up to your own conscience. ;)

Tell me though. How did it get into the wash?

Deepdale
Oct 23, 2005, 05:29 AM

Maybe it got tired of songs with dirty lyrics and decided it needed to cleanse itself and begin anew.

w00tmaster
Oct 23, 2005, 05:30 AM
Well, in that case, it's up to your own conscience. ;)

Way too many pockets and a person who is very eager just to get as much stuff into the machine as possible....

Nermal
Oct 23, 2005, 05:54 AM
After running my cellphone through once, I now always check pockets before putting stuff in the wash :rolleyes:

Fortunately I realised my phone was missing pretty quickly, and rescued it before it got all soapy. It still worked fine after drying out :)

cleanup
Oct 23, 2005, 07:15 AM
Sad iPod icon?

Just claim you think it's a failed hard drive, which it probably is.

If there's no large dents on the iPod, and it's all dried out, who's to say Apple will know?

mad jew
Oct 23, 2005, 07:18 AM
If there's no large dents on the iPod, and it's all dried out, who's to say Apple will know?

If they open it up they'd be able to see the remnants of water and detergents (mainly the latter).

In other news, I don't condone dishonesty. :cool:

macOSX-tastic
Oct 23, 2005, 09:13 AM
do tell the truth. it will just come back and hit you in the face otherwise.

plus, its an excuse to go get a video iPod!

ask apple, they can point you in the right direction... but dont get your hopes uo because the warranty covers workmanship only, not domestic accidents.........unfortunately.

zap2
Oct 23, 2005, 09:27 AM
I'd let it dry out and send it back saying 'it just stopped working!'.

they will know they can tell! :eek: but ya if u can try that but apple will still likly see watre damage

Dr Riot
Oct 23, 2005, 10:52 AM
well... I dropped the strong magnet stand thingy that comes with the iSight accidentally into my PB 12" and my hard drive stopped working. I sent it to them saying that my hard drive stopped working.. they fixed it for me free of charge. I didn't have apple care, but I had my 1 year warranty. :cool:

iGary
Oct 23, 2005, 10:53 AM
I'd be excited to have an excuse to buy a new one.

Yes, sick, so what?

jpeeters
Oct 24, 2005, 11:17 AM
I've had something similar with a nokia cellphone. The nokia guys could see that the item went through the washer (or at least was completely soaked). They could repair the phone for about $200.
A local electronics shop however could fix it for about $20. If apple doesn't want to repair the iPod, you might try such a service.

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 11:27 AM
I'd be excited to have an excuse to buy a new one.

Yes, sick, so what?

Ooo yes! new iPod time!

Check with your house insurance. it may be covered...

Apple care is NOT an insurance policy. Apple doesn't have the right certifications to sell it as such.

FRAUD = BAD
Fraud = higher cost to apple -> higer product cost -> people complaining about "Why is apple so expensive?!?" -> sell less -> profits go down -> Apple folds -> KT is out of a CFO JOB!

nisserr
May 6, 2007, 09:23 AM
ok ok so lets say you accedently put your ipod in the wash. I heard that if you email some one they'll send you a new one? does anyone know if thats true? and how you do it? and who to email??

p.s. Its a green 4g nano:(

Jonst
May 6, 2007, 11:00 AM
I have heard of this case in Motorola V3 and there was a way to dry it and fix it. I am not sure where I saw it, but here is a great tech support site that will help you deal with this problem. They also have free live chat support.

Here is the page for Ipod Support (http://www.fixya.com/support/apple/mp3_and_digital_media_players)

Good luck

Jon

Winstonp
May 6, 2007, 11:07 AM
take it to the applestore and just say this:

"My iPod stopped working. In case you were wondering, I didn't drop it. I just bought it too, and I have Applecare. Can you fix or replace it?"

I assure you they will replace it.

weg
May 6, 2007, 03:13 PM
I've had something similar with a nokia cellphone. The nokia guys could see that the item went through the washer (or at least was completely soaked).

One of my friends had a Sony Ericcson that turned itself off now and then with no obvious reason (it was brand new). When she sent it in, the company claimed that it was water damage and that they wouldn't cover it.

So much for dishonesty.. I'd say send it to Apple and tell them it stopped working (hey, that's not even a lie).

nisserr
May 6, 2007, 05:04 PM
yeah see i would... but about a week ago before this incedent my stupid friend droped my ipod and scraped it against the sidewalk, thankfully though it still worked just looked crappy. So now since it wen't through the wash the screen is flooded with water and even if it dried then the scratches pritty much would give them an idea that it didn't just stop working :(

nisserr
May 6, 2007, 08:58 PM
:confused: Ok so where do i take it in?

CanadaRAM
May 6, 2007, 09:03 PM
:confused: Ok so where do i take it in?

He's yanking your chain.

OF COURSE there is no place you can email to get a free iPod when you destroy it yourself.

Suck it up -- You damaged it, your warranty is void. Buy a new one.

(PS thank you for stopping posting in bold italic. Standard type is much easier to read.)

Winstonp: I hope you are comfortable with the idea of lying and defrauding to get ahead in life. I certainly am not.