Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a new 20'' ACD, and there is this sound that comes from the display (or it could be the powerbrick, but I think its the display). It sounds like a fan. I was just wondering if this is normal? Because my 3 year old Sony LCD doesn't make any noise. Thanks!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I have both 20" and 23" ACD for several months now. They don't make noise that I can hear. I know they should not make any noise. If so, there should be something wrong with your unit or precursor for something which may go wrong not in the distant future (usually a day after ACD's 1 year warranty is up). If mine is making noise, I will call up Apple for the warranty repair.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
is it a constant whirring or does the pitch change? is is more of a popping of a buzzing?

there may be faulty connections, or the unit is running in an obscure way, eg at a higher power level than normal....have you tried a different wall socket?

does the display have any visual signs of poor performance? do all the USB ports work? are all your cables firmly plugged in?

if the answer is yes to any, call apple pronto.

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Its a constant fan like noise or hum. Its not super loud but just loud enough to be irritating when Iam using it since my study is generally very quiet.

I guess I'll have to bring it back to my campus store, we don't have an apple store so I hope they won't give me too much trouble.

Thanks for your input guys. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.