Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Verizon customer, and I jumped from the IP4 to the Galaxy S3, enjoyed it, but came back to the Ip5. I didn't have to switch carriers.( Verizon will probably get it by June). I definitely would not switch carriers, but I am very tempted to get the HTC One if Verizon gets it.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Verizon customer, and I jumped from the IP4 to the Galaxy S3, enjoyed it, but came back to the Ip5. I didn't have to switch carriers.( Verizon will probably get it by June). I definitely would not switch carriers, but I am very tempted to get the HTC One if Verizon gets it.

I saw those links to the HTC One and it's a really nice looking phone. The looks alone sold me. I'd have to play around it with it to see if I like the interface. I'm definitely willing to consider it based on the specs and looks alone.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Not giving up iP5 - never went that direction. The HTC looks and has the size, body and screen that the iPhone 5, 5S (or even 6) should be. Quality is defiantly there.

Looking forward to the HTC one on release day!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I suppose if am poor and the competition is $HALF of an iPhone, I may, but leaving the Apple ecosystem with all available Apps, devices integration, and the large user (support) base... is like buying an electric car when the nearest charging station is 15 miles away. Just because is cute and new doesn't cut it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
No.

Keeping my iPhone 5 for the iOS 7 since the 5S is probably a spec bump.

Smithwicks

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
If Verizon had it I would. Not willing to give up unlimited data and switch carriers to get it though.

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
I wanted to give Android another shot with this phone until....

1. HTC gave AT&T exclusive carrier rights to the 64GB model and left important T-mobile frequencies off of the developer edition.

2. Even after delays the phone is still releasing with Android 4.1 :mad:

3. You can't disable Blink Feed unless you change launchers.

It's looking more and more like I'll be sticking with my 4s.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Not really, the One is nice and all but i still prefer iPhone 5 and iOS for now.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I pre-ordered the 64GB Developer's Edition and will soon return my iPhone 5. So yes.

To me, though, it's more about giving up iOS. And lordy, I can't wait.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I want to see the One in person, but it looks like a really good phone. If the camera is as good as the Anandtech review says it is I'll be very tempted.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I used the HTC One today. The hardware looks impressive for sure, but the software is disappointing and I was told by the guy in the shop that a bunch of them were recalled because they were full of faults, which is doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, especially after my Sensation broke recently.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything else from HTC, I'd actually rather buy a BB10 device than another HTC POS. Samsung overtook them for a reason.

Bottom line is that HTC = very nice design but very poor quality.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I used the HTC One today. The hardware looks impressive for sure, but the software is disappointing

I gotta say a lot of Sense makes no sense to me. See what I did there?!

I'll give it a quick brief run when I get the device, but will likely put Nova/Apex on it very fast.

This video of Sense drives me nuts:

I don't get why HTC does some of the things they do. Why would you make it harder to do things on your OS. Sometimes, they take too much of a page out of Apple.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

I'll give it a quick brief run when I get the device, but will likely put Nova/Apex on it very fast.

YouTube: video

I don't get why HTC does some of the things they do. Why would you make it harder to do things on your OS. Sometimes, they take too much of a page out of Apple.

I actually never minded old Sense too much. It was a bit heavy on resources but it was a nice UI.

The new Sense on the HTC One is just awful though, it's like a poor copy of the Sony UI, and when you open the app draw they the grid is 3x3... so literally each row has three apps... why? :confused:

It's just very unintuitive software, and I really can't understate how unreliable HTC's devices are either. I have a friend who has a One X+ and she just complains about how it keeps freezing up all the time. My Sensation bit the dust after a few months of use. Even salesmen tell me of recalls and high return rates for HTC devices.

If I were to look outside of Samsung I'd seriously look at BB10 in all honesty. The Z10 could do with a bigger screen and more apps but it's promising. The Q10 is finally going to deliver a decent physical QWERTY smartphone too. In fact if it had more apps I'd consider actually getting one over a Samsung, but alas, not yet.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I actually never minded old Sense too much. It was a bit heavy on resources but it was a nice UI.

The new Sense on the HTC One is just awful though, it's like a poor copy of the Sony UI, and when you open the app draw they the grid is 3x3... so literally each row has three apps... why? :confused:

It's just very unintuitive software, and I really can't understate how unreliable HTC's devices are either. I have a friend who has a One X+ and she just complains about how it keeps freezing up all the time. My Sensation bit the dust after a few months of use. Even salesmen tell me of recalls and high return rates for HTC devices.

If I were to look outside of Samsung I'd seriously look at BB10 in all honesty. The Z10 could do with a bigger screen and more apps but it's promising. The Q10 is finally going to deliver a decent physical QWERTY smartphone too. In fact if it had more apps I'd consider actually getting one over a Samsung, but alas, not yet.

This is deeply concerning considering the HTC One is nearly impossible to repair by one's self.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana

That's disappointing to hear the One is buggy. I'm also interested in BB10. I played with a Z10 the other day and it seemed pretty neat in the ten minutes I was using it.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
This is deeply concerning considering the HTC One is nearly impossible to repair by one's self.

Yep, all closed up as per the fashion these days by the looks of it, even Nexi are at it.

Yours is brand new and straight from HTC though so as long as their customer service has at least improved since this was written you can always rely on the warranty.

----------

That's disappointing to hear the One is buggy. I'm also interested in BB10. I played with a Z10 the other day and it seemed pretty neat in the ten minutes I was using it.

Yeah the Z10 is nice indeed. I'm really looking forward to the Q10 too, I've wanted a decent QWERTY smartphone for ages, all the attempts from Android manufacturers have been terrible and BlackBerry's old OS was even worse, so this device looks promising.

These reviews give me confidence in BB10 as an OS and BlackBerry's better efforts at well made hardware too:

It has potential and I hope developers actually make apps for it, that's really the only thing holding me back.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The one thing Blackberry got right was gesture to go home. Jailbroken iPhones have an app called Zephyr that I think is absolutely brilliant and works lovely.

We're at a point where we essentially do not need physical home buttons. I hope Apple and Samsung (such a shame Samsung went back to physical buttons. Their US versions of the Galaxy S2 were all capacitive) wise up to that.

Gestures is and should be the future.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The one thing Blackberry got right was gesture to go home. Jailbroken iPhones have an app called Zephyr that I think is absolutely brilliant and works lovely.

We're at a point where we essentially do not need physical home buttons. I hope Apple and Samsung (such a shame Samsung went back to physical buttons. Their US versions of the Galaxy S2 were all capacitive) wise up to that.

Gestures is and should be the future.

Absolutely, that's why I hoped webOS would catch on. Gestures are awesome. BB10 has been really innovative with them too, especially the "peep" feature so you can see all your notifications easily and the swipe up to go home. They've avoided making them too complicated for users too - you only really need to learn the basic ones and they're quite easy to get used to.

Just... if only it had more apps. Or even just better Android emulation. I'd be all over it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Just... if only it had more apps.

Yup. Deal breaker.

I plan to use Slide Pad (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.conduction.swipepad.android&hl=en) when I'm using my One.

I've seen and used it on a friend's S3 and it's extremely reliable. Not as sharp looking as Zephyr but still gets the job done and actually has even more functionality cause you can swipe up to go to a lot of different places/apps. You can even swipe it from the left or right.

This, along with Power Toggles, is how I plan to combat HTC's stupid reconfiguration of the home button and stupidly far power/sleep button. The only time I'll have to reach up to it is to wake the device.

:D

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Yep, all closed up as per the fashion these days by the looks of it, even Nexi are at it.

Yours is brand new and straight from HTC though so as long as their customer service has at least improved since this was written you can always rely on the warranty.

----------

Yeah the Z10 is nice indeed. I'm really looking forward to the Q10 too, I've wanted a decent QWERTY smartphone for ages, all the attempts from Android manufacturers have been terrible and BlackBerry's old OS was even worse, so this device looks promising.

These reviews give me confidence in BB10 as an OS and BlackBerry's better efforts at well made hardware too:

It has potential and I hope developers actually make apps for it, that's really the only thing holding me back.

Those videos are pretty good. I'm going to keep an eye on BlackBerry and see how the app situation goes. I've been on Windows Phone almost two years and I'm not sure I want to endure another fledgling platform.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
I wanted to give Android another shot with this phone until....

1. HTC gave AT&T exclusive carrier rights to the 64GB model and left important T-mobile frequencies off of the developer edition.

2. Even after delays the phone is still releasing with Android 4.1 :mad:

3. You can't disable Blink Feed unless you change launchers.

It's looking more and more like I'll be sticking with my 4s.

1. it looks like you prefer expandable storage yet you are using iphone 4s with non-expandable storage. tmobile htc one offers 32gb. not enough?

2. 4.1 is fairly recent. at this point in time, i dont think htc had enough time to test out 4.2. but i'm willing to bet it will get 4.2 and the upcoming lime pie.

3. wow!!! really? changing a launcher literally takes less than a minute. just choose what you like from the market if you don't like the default one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I thought you were keeping an open mind. You sound to me like you have made your mind up about sense already, which is far from keeping an open mind ;)

----------

How is the new sense awful?

Have you actually used it or just basing this opinion on video footage, because I like many who actually have the device (including most reviewers) find it very good. It very much sounds like a case of "I don't like the look of that - so it must be awful" mentality...

Sense 5 is very slimmed down and the changes HTC have made to calendar / music / messages / phone and such are actually much improved over stock android experience, and even the keyboard is excellent on sense 5 - and yes as good as swift key.

Sense 5 is the lightest / clearly most optimised version of sense, it's always smooth and fluid, there is no trace of lag and no unnecessary animations between app drawer, launching apps etc.. Memory management is a thing of the past, and multitasking works beautifully on the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.