PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit microSD cards

adder7712
Apr 8, 2013, 06:38 AM
I bought a "Kingston" 32GB Class 10 microSD card. Tried copying nearly 8GB of media files. After the transfer was complete, half of the files were unplayable. Did a test with h2testw, it failed the read test.

Before I return the card and purchase a new one, how do I verify if I purchased a legitimate card?

0dev
Apr 8, 2013, 06:41 AM
If it's faulty you should get a replacement or refund, simple as that. It doesn't really matter if it's legit or not.

I actually got a fake Sandisk sent to me from an Amazon seller once, kept getting corrupted and anytime I used it on a phone it would keep crashing during I/O.

Tsuchiya
Apr 8, 2013, 06:49 AM
It can be hard to tell nowadays, before it was just a matter of checking the labels for imperfections or the quality of the plastic used.

Just to be on the safe side I would just stick to buying directly from Amazon or something rather than a seller.

adder7712
Apr 9, 2013, 01:19 AM
Here's a photo of the fake card. Is there a way to forward this information to Kingston for them to verify if this is their product?

0dev
Apr 9, 2013, 03:55 AM
No, not really. Just get a refund and buy from a different (more trustworthy) seller.

MacRumorUser
Apr 9, 2013, 07:36 AM
1st rule... don't buy off eBay. ;)
2nd rule... especially don't buy off eBay if it's offering free shipping from China and it's cheap.

nick_elt
Apr 9, 2013, 08:12 AM
I bought a "Kingston" 32GB Class 10 microSD card. Tried copying nearly 8GB of media files. After the transfer was complete, half of the files were unplayable. Did a test with h2testw, it failed the read test.

Before I return the card and purchase a new one, how do I verify if I purchased a legitimate card?

i had a genuine sandisk fail pretty quickly. they do occasionally happen. i didn't keep my receipt but i do now.

Kashsystems
Apr 9, 2013, 12:48 PM

Honestly they are so cheap now, I doubtful it is even worth counterfeiting.

AutoUnion39
Apr 9, 2013, 03:43 PM
I've gotten fake Sandisk microSd cards off Amazon. Just be careful. and report it if it doesn't work.

roxxette
Apr 9, 2013, 09:35 PM
Chargeback and buy directly from Amazon or a radioshack.

adder7712
Apr 10, 2013, 02:31 AM
Glad I still have the receipt laying around and I bought it a physical store and to be frank, it's not a dodgy store as it's a carrier store!

0dev
Apr 10, 2013, 04:23 AM
Glad I still have the receipt laying around and I bought it a physical store and to be frank, it's not a dodgy store as it's a carrier store!

Sounds dodgy to me :p