Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yzeater

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
Hey guys-
I've been having some problems with my PowerBook Ti 500 - 512 - 30 - DVD recently. The battery was holding only 50 minutes of charge, it wouldn't eject, and the DVD player quit working. So I happily sent it in to AppleCare to replace those items. Great. A week later (Thursday) I get it back. I see they've replaced the DVD, the battery, and the Rib Chassis Assembly. Great! Didn't cost me a dime. Bring it home, plug it in, turn it on. Boots into 9.2. That was fun! I learned a little about 9.2! Changed the start up stuff, rebooted into 10.2.2. First thing I notice, the battery icon has an 'x' in it. That means 'no batteries available'. I try a DVD. Doesn't play. Says there is a serious error. Hmm. Call tech support, guy resets pram, button on the back, says charge it. He said the battery charge will fix the DVD prob too. Well I gave it four hours. Turned it back on, guess what! Battery has an x. DVD gives error message 1634955892. What do I do next? Send it back and cross my fingers that they'll not screw up again? Help please!!! (Oh yeah, my '1' key sticks since I got it back too.)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
you have applecare. send it back....

if it's a huge problem, and you have some sort of monetary need for having the machine (ie, it's your work machine or whatever), then i've heard of them providing a temp replacement... though i might be wrong to think that.

worst case, in 3 tries they'll give you something new. possibly... it sucks. but it's better to have em fix it now than to hope you can figure it out yourself.... and have it come back later.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
I'm stunned by your experience.

When you say you sent it to AppleCare, do you mean a local guy, or back to Mac.

Here's the thing: You discussed resetting the PRAM - and that is the lingo I know - but keep in mind what you really want to do is reset your PowerBook's Power Management Unit (PMU).

On your 500 series TiBook if you didnt' remove the AC adapter & battery and let it sit for around 5-6 minutes. Then you haven't reset your PMU.

Follow this procedure:

(1) Remove all power sources... battery and AC adapter.
(2) Let it sit... talk nicely to it, tell it what a good powerbook it is, and how it's been your best friend. Be sure to do this for at least 5 minutes, or it will not take you seriously and you won't be getting any tonight.
(3) Now that you've sweet talked your favorite girl, it's time to touch her, but don't put your battery into her yet, or plug into her yet... JUST touch her softly by holding down her Apple-Option-Control-PowerButton combination for about 10 seconds.
(4) Now that you've done all this, you can insert your battery into her, and the AC adapter if you want.

Remember that you have to take care to properly calibrate your battery. A soft battery won't please her.

If none of this works, you may have a faulty PMU (an integrated circuit on your logic board) or bad battery. In that case she'll be needing professional analysis and councelling under strict AppleCare.

Your PMU and a properly calibrated battery are responsible for disk spin, lighting, sleep and a variety of other things on Powerbooks.

:cool:

yzeater

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
We reset the PRam (and used that little button on the back). Didn't make any difference. I took it to the apple retail store to have them ship it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.