Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itswoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Hi all...

I bought a dual 2.7 Ghz G5 in April and have been using it daily ever since. Don't get me wrong, it feels speedy and all, but I can't help feeling theres something holding it back. I've experienced a number of annoying stalls whilst using programs such as Photoshop and even iTunes that I feel really shouldn't be happening on a computer of this calibre. For example, when clicking "open" in the file menu in Photoshop I always get a 5-10 second pause before the open window appears, sometimes this delay is even longer. It's so frustrating! I wondered whether it was my mac checking all drives (I have a single 400GB internal harddrive and an external firewire drive) before letting Photoshop have access, but it does just the same with the firewire drive disconnected. Anyways. what I want to know or discuss really, is what I can do, realistically, to achieve the maximum speed for my mac in general use (not necessarily Photoshop).

To put you in the picture, these are the tech specs:

- Dual 2.7 GHZ G5 processors
- 2GB Ram (I consider that sufficient for the moment)
- 400GB Internal drive (Hitachi)
- Radeon 9650 (This card seems to suck quite bad really!)

I've read on Barefeats / other sources that the X800 XT is the best card for my G5 in terms of cost / performance ratio... there's no point in getting the X850 cos its the same card but overclocked...or so I'm told. Can anyone recommend where to purchase this, considering I live in the UK? (Is macsales.com any good?)

Whats the best solution for internal harddrive? Should I get another 400 GB harddrive and setup some kind of raid system? (if so how?! any good sites to find info on how to do this using apple software?) Or would I be better off using one more expensive harddrive and another as a scratch disk? (For Photoshop use that is!)

If anyone has previous experience of getting the best out of their G5 I'd appreciate it!

Thanx.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
itswoody said:
Hi all...

I bought a dual 2.7 Ghz G5 in April and have been using it daily ever since. Don't get me wrong, it feels speedy and all, but I can't help feeling theres something holding it back. I've experienced a number of annoying stalls whilst using programs such as Photoshop and even iTunes that I feel really shouldn't be happening on a computer of this calibre. For example, when clicking "open" in the file menu in Photoshop I always get a 5-10 second pause before the open window appears, sometimes this delay is even longer. It's so frustrating! I wondered whether it was my mac checking all drives (I have a single 400GB internal harddrive and an external firewire drive) before letting Photoshop have access, but it does just the same with the firewire drive disconnected. Anyways. what I want to know or discuss really, is what I can do, realistically, to achieve the maximum speed for my mac in general use (not necessarily Photoshop).

To put you in the picture, these are the tech specs:

- Dual 2.7 GHZ G5 processors
- 2GB Ram (I consider that sufficient for the moment)
- 400GB Internal drive (Hitachi)
- Radeon 9650 (This card seems to suck quite bad really!)

I've read on Barefeats / other sources that the X800 XT is the best card for my G5 in terms of cost / performance ratio... there's no point in getting the X850 cos its the same card but overclocked...or so I'm told. Can anyone recommend where to purchase this, considering I live in the UK? (Is macsales.com any good?)

Whats the best solution for internal harddrive? Should I get another 400 GB harddrive and setup some kind of raid system? (if so how?! any good sites to find info on how to do this using apple software?) Or would I be better off using one more expensive harddrive and another as a scratch disk? (For Photoshop use that is!)

If anyone has previous experience of getting the best out of their G5 I'd appreciate it!

Thanx.

I've had very good luck with OWC - good people.

I am getting the x800 xt because I can't find the x850 xt - going this route for Aperture and possible future video work.

I swear by Seagate hard drives. Personally, I use Photoshop all day long and have never noticed significant speed results with a small, fast-rpm HDD.

Get the x800 xt and a 400GB Seagate Barracuda. Just put your Photoshop work on a separate drive/partition than OS X.

Consider a couple of extra gigs of RAM, especially if you use Bridge and batches alot...

Good luck.

itswoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Thanx for the advice man! Think the X800 is gonna be a definate purchase...;)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
iGary said:
I've had very good luck with OWC - good people.

I am getting the x800 xt because I can't find the x850 xt - going this route for Aperture and possible future video work.

I swear by Seagate hard drives. Personally, I use Photoshop all day long and have never noticed significant speed results with a small, fast-rpm HDD.

Get the x800 xt and a 400GB Seagate Barracuda. Just put your Photoshop work on a separate drive/partition than OS X.

Consider a couple of extra gigs of RAM, especially if you use Bridge and batches alot...

Good luck.

What he said.

Maybe get another external HD like 80GB to just have photoshop on it.

If you can, get your RAM up to 4GB - as it seems your doing a lot of processor intensive things.

Oh, and try doing the basic things, resetting your PRAM and repair disk permissions.

Maybe that would help.

itswoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2005
lilstewart92 said:
Oh, and try doing the basic things, resetting your PRAM and repair disk permissions.

Maybe that would help.

On occasion I have reset the PRAM, (when I've had strange kernel panics etc) but I've always wondered, is this really such a wise thing to do? What does it reset exactly?!

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Wait... why are you getting an X800XT again? For Photoshop? Not sure thats really necessary... The pauses sound like you need to reinstall PS and update to the latest version (CS2 with all updates).

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
crazzyeddie said:
Wait... why are you getting an X800XT again? For Photoshop? Not sure thats really necessary... The pauses sound like you need to reinstall PS and update to the latest version (CS2 with all updates).

Unless he plans on using Aperture, where the Core Image requirements will make it a must.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.