Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I am not sure if I am in the right place to post this, but I'll give it a shot. My girlfriend is an amateur photographer. She is mostly interested in black and white photography and she doesn't like digital, so she exclusively likes film based cameras. She left her camera in NJ when she went to school here in Florida and I was thinking of buying her a camera for christmas. I just have no clue what to get her. I do not want to ask her because I want this to be a surprise. I want to give her the best camera I can for a decent price range. I am thinking around $300-400 would be my maximum price range that I could afford for a christmas present. I know that there are a lot of really talented and knowledgeable people here that know just about everything about cameras and photography, so I thought I'd ask for recommendations. I believe she likes Minolta, but I'd get her the best my money can buy if Canon or Nikon or one of those brands has better equipment. So anything you can recommend would be helpful. I know nothing about what SLR is, lense sizes, the differences between one kind of lense over another, what brand is the best bang for your buck, etc. So anything you may be able to tell me would be useful. For those who are amateurs or pros, if you only had $400 to spend on a camera/lense setup, what would you buy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.