PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this to get surround sound using my Macbook Pro?

Ausfernan
Apr 9, 2013, 12:28 AM
I found this adapter that would apparently make it so my Macbook Pro could output in surround sound. I only have stereo output at the moment with my headphone jack. http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-Sound-Card-USB-SND8/dp/B001D1PWGM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_0#productDescription

If that wouldn't work, are there any other suggestions? Thanks!

Ausfernan
Apr 11, 2013, 11:31 PM
Bump? I could really use some advice if anyone can help me

bill-p
Apr 12, 2013, 02:16 PM
Which MacBook Pro? And what are you trying to output to? Speakers? Headphones?

Ausfernan
Apr 12, 2013, 07:30 PM
Late 2011, 13" model. I have just one 1/8" headphone jack. I'm trying to output to a speaker system with three 1/8" inputs (front, sides, surround/back). I'm currently using two headphone splitters to get sound out of all of them but everything is just standard stereo, no surround sound.

Satori
Apr 12, 2013, 07:39 PM
I found this adapter that would apparently make it so my Macbook Pro could output in surround sound. I only have stereo output at the moment with my headphone jack. http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-Sound-Card-USB-SND8/dp/B001D1PWGM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_0#productDescription

If that wouldn't work, are there any other suggestions? Thanks!

The product questions on the amazon page seem to suggest it will work with a Mac. Your MBP is new enough to support 5.1 surround sound.

bill-p
Apr 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
Late 2011, 13" model. I have just one 1/8" headphone jack. I'm trying to output to a speaker system with three 1/8" inputs (front, sides, surround/back). I'm currently using two headphone splitters to get sound out of all of them but everything is just standard stereo, no surround sound.

I see. In which case, that should work.

The reason I asked was because the 15" MacBook Pro has an optical output, and if you're trying to output to a surround sound system with a receiver, then it would be better to use the optical output.

Ausfernan
Apr 12, 2013, 07:48 PM
Thank you for your help!