PDA

View Full Version : Haswell: out! "The single largest generation-to-generation battery life improvement"

Jobsian
Apr 9, 2013, 02:31 AM
Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57578193-92/intels-next-gen-haswell-chip-now-shipping-to-pc-makers/

It has started to ship to manufacturers and Intel are going to release a statement later this week. Better battery life is the single most important thing I've been yearning for in 2013 MBAs.

The full quote from Intel CEO: "The single largest generation-to-generation battery life improvement in Intel history".

Very excited :D I wonder if by shipping to "major PC makers" they also include Apple...

Mrbobb
Apr 9, 2013, 02:46 AM
To allow Apple again, to sell us the new THINNEST, LIGHTEST notebook (with a smaller battery). :(

Don't sell your 2012 just yet.

racer1441
Apr 9, 2013, 09:46 AM
To allow Apple again, to sell us the new THINNEST, LIGHTEST notebook (with a smaller battery). :(

My worry as well. Don't leave the battery the same and get 10 hours, make it smaller and get the 6 hours. I don't need it thinner, I do want ipad length battery on a MacBook Air.

JHUFrank
Apr 11, 2013, 11:48 AM
I am betting that Apple will probably be the first to get their hands on it. I am really looking forward to a Haswell MBA as a replacement for my C2Duo 2010 MBA.

XoFu
Apr 12, 2013, 07:20 AM
My question would be. Considering a similar configuration (equal Ram, storage and so on) to current 2012 MBA (say a 13 inch) how good would be the battery improvement? 2 hours-3?

TheAppleFairy
Apr 12, 2013, 07:42 AM
Got my fingers crossed that the MacBooks get decent upgrade beyond just Haswell soon.

old-wiz
Apr 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
Just because Intel says there will be an XX% increase in battery life due to the Haswell chips, does not mean that every laptop will show exactly XX% increase.

urkel
Apr 12, 2013, 11:44 AM
My worry as well. Don't leave the battery the same and get 10 hours, make it smaller and get the 6 hours. I don't need it thinner, I do want ipad length battery on a MacBook Air.

EXACTLY! There's no "thinnovation" in running out of battery when on the road. And it's not like anything out of Apple in the last 3 years was considered "thick" so most users would appreciate better battery life over thin bragging rights.

That said, I dont think theyll change the air design yet so this may be good news for 2013 models.

QCassidy352
Apr 12, 2013, 11:44 AM
Can't wait! Better battery life and better graphics are all I want from the MBA!

aooga12
Apr 14, 2013, 05:18 PM
I am betting that Apple will probably be the first to get their hands on it. I am really looking forward to a Haswell MBA as a replacement for my C2Duo 2010 MBA.

how do you get the processor upgraded? take it to an apple store and have them do it?

Bear
Apr 14, 2013, 05:21 PM
how do you get the processor upgraded? take it to an apple store and have them do it?You don't. You buy a new MacBook Air.

numbersyx
Apr 14, 2013, 05:26 PM
Can't wait! Better battery life and better graphics are all I want from the MBA!

Is the battery that bad on the MBA? I have a 2010 MBP and have never had a complaint about battery life. How do you use your Air?

Tony0693
Apr 14, 2013, 06:08 PM
how do you get the processor upgraded? take it to an apple store and have them do it?

yup ;)

rdunlap
Apr 14, 2013, 06:12 PM
This is great and all, but nothing to make me go out and sell my MBA 2012 and run and buy this.

Like all model refreshes, we will just have to wait and see what Apple has up their sleeves this year.

2IS
Apr 14, 2013, 06:20 PM
Looking forward to it. I'm on a 2010 and due for an upgrade.

MrCheeto
Apr 14, 2013, 06:21 PM
And it's not like anything out of Apple in the last 3 years was considered "thick" so most users would appreciate better battery life over thin bragging rights.

Not quite sure about that, mate. Thin is in! In fact, I took sandpaper to my MacBook Air to make it even THINNER than the MacBook Air!

Now all the MacBook Air users at Starbuck's stare in envy at my MacBook Air!

Don't you want to be envied???

aooga12
Apr 14, 2013, 06:52 PM
yup ;)

so how much does that cost total?

B...
Apr 14, 2013, 07:23 PM

Infinite amounts of money, because they can't and you can't. It is soldered to the logic board unless they replace that, which they won't. You have to buy a new computer.

DisMyMac
Apr 14, 2013, 08:18 PM
Intel is now saying there's a chipset bug that makes USB drives disconnect. Classic.

FrancoisC
Apr 14, 2013, 08:24 PM
Intel is now saying there's a chipset bug that makes USB drives disconnect. Classic.

Source? I'd like to know more about it :)

Probably will be fixed by a BIOS/Firmware update. I hope anyway :(

2IS
Apr 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
The USB bug has been a talked about issue for months now. Its limited to a specific subset of USB 3.0 flash drives as far as I'm aware.

DisMyMac
Apr 14, 2013, 08:55 PM
Source? I'd like to know more about it :)

The New York Ti... I mean the opening post article. :)

I'm impressed how they can go ahead with bugs and stepping issues in processors. It shows I don't really know how stuff works.

FrancoisC
Apr 14, 2013, 08:59 PM
The New York Ti... I mean the opening post article. :)

I'm impressed how they can go ahead with bugs and stepping issues in processors. It shows I don't really know how stuff works.

Thanks, I didn't think it was in the same article.

Since I stopped building my own PC I've been out of the loop on the whole technical issue thing, and I don't miss it anyway, I was just curious! :)

melchior
Apr 15, 2013, 01:08 AM
The USB bug has been a talked about issue for months now. Its limited to a specific subset of USB 3.0 flash drives as far as I'm aware.

And Intel confirms that the bug does not cause corruption or data loss and only causes thumbdrives of the 3.0 SuperSpeed variety to disconnect on sleep. This already happens on my early 2008 MBP. I hope this does not delay Apple's release. It is hardly a showstopper bug.

JHUFrank
Apr 15, 2013, 04:46 AM
same here. I still love my 2010, but the logical progression of a Haswell notebook is the sweet spot where I am willing to spend more money.
Looking forward to it. I'm on a 2010 and due for an upgrade.

----------

You cannot upgrade the processor in a MBA. For me its pretty simple. Dump the 2010 Air to my daughter, give her Lenovo to my son, and I get the new Haswell MBA. :D

Icaras
Apr 15, 2013, 04:51 AM

EXACTLY! There's no "thinnovation" in running out of battery when on the road. And it's not like anything out of Apple in the last 3 years was considered "thick" so most users would appreciate better battery life over thin bragging rights.

That said, I dont think theyll change the air design yet so this may be good news for 2013 models.

I guess I'll be the rebel in this thread and say that I actually look forward to seeing a thinner and lighter Macbook Air, even if it does mean compromises in battery. Of course, as long as it equals the same battery life as the current generation MBA, then it will be seamless for customers, as have all Apple products have been that that have gone through thinning over the years.

Serban
Apr 15, 2013, 05:40 AM
I guess I'll be the rebel in this thread and say that I actually look forward to seeing a thinner and lighter Macbook Air, even if it does mean compromises in battery. Of course, as long as it equals the same battery life as the current generation MBA, then it will be seamless for customers, as have all Apple products have been that that have gone through thinning over the years.

Not really a compromises, they can do a lighter and thinner Air with the same 7 Hours of usage

Seamaster
Apr 15, 2013, 06:05 AM
I think they'll keep the form factor unchanged, and use the extension in battery life to enable a retina display.

Serban
Apr 15, 2013, 06:21 AM
I think they'll keep the form factor unchanged, and use the extension in battery life to enable a retina display.

Oh yeaa. But i think they will have to get rid of macbook pro 13" retina. So i guess would not happen, or will have like before a macbook air 13" with better screen and less performance than pro 13"

designs216
Apr 15, 2013, 07:09 AM
You cannot upgrade the processor in a MBA. For me its pretty simple. Dump the 2010 Air to my daughter, give her Lenovo to my son, and I get the new Haswell MBA. :D

Trickle down economics in action with you at the top of the totem pole. You squeeze extra years out of old hardware and get the latest tech simultaneously.

CocoaNut
Apr 15, 2013, 08:32 AM
I would certainly welcome another hour or so in a 2013 11" MBA, but the thing that I would really like to see is a larger screen in each form factor (though not necessarily Retina).

That could mean a MBA with a 12.2" or a 14" screen, without changing external sizes, according to my personal measurements, and based on what's being done on MBP's.

My eyes bleed every time I see that big bezel!

Tony0693
Apr 15, 2013, 08:55 PM

Depends on the model, starts at 999$ for the mba and so on..

Mackan
Apr 16, 2013, 12:53 AM
My eyes bleed every time I see that big bezel!

Couldn't agree more. That big bezel on the 11'' is what has kept me from trying it. I don't understand how someone like Jony Ive feels ok with that bezel... I can't imagine it being too hard to put a larger screen in there.

Serban
Apr 16, 2013, 02:15 AM
Or to reduce the size of the MBA 11" and keep the display

luffytubby
Apr 16, 2013, 06:53 AM
Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57578193-92/intels-next-gen-haswell-chip-now-shipping-to-pc-makers/

It has started to ship to manufacturers and Intel are going to release a statement later this week. Better battery life is the single most important thing I've been yearning for in 2013 MBAs.

The full quote from Intel CEO: "The single largest generation-to-generation battery life improvement in Intel history".

Very excited :D I wonder if by shipping to "major PC makers" they also include Apple...

What is the news here?

1) Cnet is a horrible untrustworthy website. With a long history of jaded and biased reviews and poor incorrect articles.

2) The statement of improved battery life is from an old Intel statement. The only thing the source confirms is that the chipset is shipping.

Here is the deal - For a long while, but especially with Sandy and Ivy, Intel have hyped up their battery claims, and always to roaring disappointments.

I'm not denying the possibility of significant gains, and trust me - I would be thrilled! It would be awesome to get 10 hours on a rMBP, but I just doubt it. unfortunately.

Maybe it's true. But if it's true real-world scenario will probably be less significant than hyped here. Much like how many manufactureres exaggerate their battery runtime, or run them with unreasonable low performance and features removed.

RoastingPig
Apr 16, 2013, 09:40 AM
sell all the old airs!

DisplacedMic
Apr 16, 2013, 11:37 AM
What is the news here?

1) Cnet is a horrible untrustworthy website. With a long history of jaded and biased reviews and poor incorrect articles.

2) The statement of improved battery life is from an old Intel statement. The only thing the source confirms is that the chipset is shipping.

Here is the deal - For a long while, but especially with Sandy and Ivy, Intel have hyped up their battery claims, and always to roaring disappointments.

I'm not denying the possibility of significant gains, and trust me - I would be thrilled! It would be awesome to get 10 hours on a rMBP, but I just doubt it. unfortunately.

Maybe it's true. But if it's true real-world scenario will probably be less significant than hyped here. Much like how many manufactureres exaggerate their battery runtime, or run them with unreasonable low performance and features removed.

seriously...what happened to cnet?