PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Note 8.0 to launch in US this week for $399

ugahairydawgs
Apr 9, 2013, 08:34 AM
Just don't see this selling well at all at this price point. And if Apple refreshes the iPad Mini with a retina screen any time soon it will be dead in the water.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/09/samsungs-399-16gb-galaxy-note-8-0-will-launch-in-the-u-s-on-april-11/

maflynn
Apr 9, 2013, 08:42 AM
The Kindle fire HD 8.9 is going for 299 so from a price perspective its on the higher end.

mattopotamus
Apr 9, 2013, 08:51 AM
not gonna lie, that thing looks ridiculous. Maybe it is b.c I have owned a note 2, and it is just a massive version. For another $150 you could have the best of both worlds in 1 device (note 2).

It seems like a really weird strategy on samsungs part. I was under the impression the note 2 was suppose to combine a phone and tablet...this just seems like regression.

LSUtigers03
Apr 9, 2013, 09:27 AM
Wow and to think I was not happy with the iPad Mini price. I was looking forward to this coming out because the Note 2 with the s-pen is a great device and I wanted an iPad Mini version of that. Now I think I'll skip it or buy it later if the price drops.

Kendo
Apr 9, 2013, 11:54 AM
After all these 7" tablets since the tablet market first came out, Apple comes out with a 7.9" tablet and now companies are making 8" tablets?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/09/samsung-galaxy-note-8-review/

ucfgrad93
Apr 9, 2013, 12:04 PM
While it looks nice, I think it is overpriced at $399.

darngooddesign
Apr 9, 2013, 12:07 PM
Well netbooks were tiny little things for a while until one company came out with the larger size. Then all netbooks were that size.

I wouldn't feel too superior, if Apple releases the rumored large screen iPhone they will be doing the same thing. In another sense Apple didn't release a small iPad until other companies showed there was a dmand for something in the 7-8" size.

vmaniqui
Apr 9, 2013, 12:19 PM
I don't know exactly what they're thinking. Pretty soon they will release a 9" screen and before you know it, we'll be back at 10" screen. Hmmm

MrGimper
Apr 9, 2013, 12:33 PM
Gotta love fragmentation.

I think I read somewhere where an android development company kept getting complaints from users that their device wasn't supported by the app. They supported 600+ different devices!

No wonder android apps look a mess. Must be a nightmare to develop for!

Saturn1217
Apr 9, 2013, 01:34 PM
What on earth are you all talking about?

The iPad mini only exists because apple finally had to respond to the popular smaller android tablets. Who cares if there is a note 8? It is meant for use with a stylus where a small but not too small screen is beneficial.

Tinmania
Apr 9, 2013, 02:14 PM
As a Note 2 owner I like the looks of Note 8. But not at that price.

I'd rather get an iPad mini.

Even though I am using a "phablet" I still reach for my iPad for reading news and games. I have an iPad 3 currently but I have used the mini quite a bit (not just in stores) and am fairly certain it would be able to replace the iPad 3 for me.

Michael

TacticalDesire
Apr 9, 2013, 05:00 PM
Not enough to justify leaving the mini. $349 would be much more attractive. I could use something with more RAM. Web browsing on 512mb of ram isn't stellar.

Shanghaichica
Apr 9, 2013, 05:37 PM
To be fair samsung had a 7.7 inch galaxy tab a few years back.

spinedoc77
Apr 9, 2013, 09:10 PM
For $100 more I can get a windows 8 tablet. Plus they took the cellular radio out of it, that was a large part of its appeal.

racoonboy
Apr 9, 2013, 09:54 PM
If im not wrong, Note 8 is actually a phone. Although i still think its a direct competitor to Ipad mini. SS has been a long time follower of Apple so i dont find this a surprise at all.

Now many people are carrying the Mini with their iphone or budget phone or whatever. Note 8 can offer people to just carry one device instead of two or three but the fact that they make it as smartphone. How ridiculous would it feel to put that next to your face while making a call. In case, you forgot to bring your headphone with you. :)

racer1441
Apr 9, 2013, 09:57 PM
I just want a ipad mini with a phone so I can carry that one device and be done with it.

Jessica Lares
Apr 9, 2013, 10:07 PM
If im not wrong, Note 8 is actually a phone. Although i still think its a direct competitor to Ipad mini. SS has been a long time follower of Apple so i dont find this a surprise at all.

Now many people are carrying the Mini with their iphone or budget phone or whatever. Note 8 can offer people to just carry one device instead of two or three but the fact that they make it as smartphone. How ridiculous would it feel to put that next to your face while making a call. In case, you forgot to bring your headphone with you. :)

It's a tablet.

And the Note has the worst tablet build ever.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/21/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review-an-embarrassing-lazy-arrogant-money-grab/

blackhand1001
Apr 9, 2013, 11:05 PM
Keep in mind that at 399 it comes standard with 32gb of storage.

The Game 161
Apr 10, 2013, 12:43 AM
it's priced higher due to the 2GB of ram...thats the big reason I think.

If money isn't an issue it is a good buy no doubt...i love my ipad so would never replace that as my number 1 one tablet but the note 8.0 would be very tempting as my TV show/films player when i'm away from work, travelling e.t.c.

just hope they do a case so you can stand it up.

JHUFrank
Apr 10, 2013, 02:06 AM
I'm with you here. I had a Nexus 7 and a Samsung Note 7 and was totally underwhelmed with both. The Note 2 was where I truly converted from ipad.
not gonna lie, that thing looks ridiculous. Maybe it is b.c I have owned a note 2, and it is just a massive version. For another $150 you could have the best of both worlds in 1 device (note 2).

It seems like a really weird strategy on samsungs part. I was under the impression the note 2 was suppose to combine a phone and tablet...this just seems like regression.

rhinosrcool
Apr 10, 2013, 02:45 AM
It's a tablet.

And the Note has the worst tablet build ever.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/21/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review-an-embarrassing-lazy-arrogant-money-grab/

This is a review of the year old (?) 10.1. For me, even though I agree that Samsung's devices look a bit cheap, once a case is applied, that is not too much of an issue.

Jessica Lares
Apr 10, 2013, 05:31 AM
This is a review of the year old (?) 10.1. For me, even though I agree that Samsung's devices look a bit cheap, once a case is applied, that is not too much of an issue.

It is, but it's pretty much just a smaller version. Samsung devices aren't THAT cheap, but it is apparent that something went completely wrong with whatever plastic they're using. Pretty sure that even if you do put a case on, it'll still look horrible afterwards.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 10, 2013, 06:23 AM
Keep in mind that at 399 it comes standard with 32gb of storage.

Check the original link again. It's $399 for 16GB.

johnjefferson
Apr 10, 2013, 10:14 AM
Just don't see this selling well at all at this price point. And if Apple refreshes the iPad Mini with a retina screen any time soon it will be dead in the water.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/09/samsungs-399-16gb-galaxy-note-8-0-will-launch-in-the-u-s-on-april-11/

There are a TON of people who couldn't care less if a new iPad mini comes out and will get the Note either way. They are called Samsung/Android users.

Kashsystems
Apr 10, 2013, 01:36 PM
There are a TON of people who couldn't care less if a new iPad mini comes out and will get the Note either way. They are called Samsung/Android users.

Not at 399, they priced themselves out of their own market. I was looking forward to this tablet, I thought it would be 249, maybe worst case 299. 399 and I start looking at the Nexus 10 or Nexus 7 and there is an expected Nexus tablet refresh coming.

ucfgrad93
Apr 10, 2013, 01:44 PM
Not at 399, they priced themselves out of their own market. I was looking forward to this tablet, I thought it would be 249, maybe worst case 299. 399 and I start looking at the Nexus 10 or Nexus 7 and there is an expected Nexus tablet refresh coming.

Agreed. They should have matched the mini's price of $329.

Fruit Cake
Apr 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
At 399 it's priced as a niche item, people will just buy iPad.

lbhskier37
Apr 10, 2013, 06:13 PM
Is Samsung starting to believe their own marketing? What in the tablet market has given them the impression they can command a higher price than an iPad? The only non-apple tablets that have taken a significant chunk of the market have undercut apples price by hundreds. Every tablet that has been priced the same as the iPad has either failed or had its price slashed soon after release to clear inventory. Even for Android fans, what would make someone pay 2X more for this than a Nexus 7, or $100 more than the Kindle Fire HD 9"? This on top of the useless Galaxy Camera are making me wonder who is making product decisions at Samsung.

blackhand1001
Apr 10, 2013, 06:57 PM

No, they realize that the pen input and excellent notetaking capabilities make this tablet extremely useful especially in college.

kdoug
Apr 10, 2013, 08:33 PM

Lol. There's always a refresh coming, just ask anybody who's waiting to buy something.
I have a Nexus 10 32gb and its the best of the big Android tablets. Alas, its only temporary until the 5 hits the shelves this fall. :-)

TacticalDesire
Apr 10, 2013, 10:43 PM
Could definitely make use of the pen for meetings, briefings and things of that nature but I can't justify it at $399. Especially when I have the iPad mini. The 2gb of ram and the pen are what's making it attractive. The 512mb in the mini is a problem for web browsing.

The Game 161
Apr 11, 2013, 04:40 AM
Could definitely make use of the pen for meetings, briefings and things of that nature but I can't justify it at $399. Especially when I have the iPad mini. The 2gb of ram and the pen are what's making it attractive. The 512mb in the mini is a problem for web browsing.

The price is the only thing putting me off...want it badly to have as something to take on the go at any time to make notes, play games, watch tv shows/films...will use my ipad for my main internet usage but would use my note 8.0 for everything other than main internet and to make notes...S4 for phone usage and iphone 5 as my music player

is it me or are the note 8.0 reviews not that good?

ChrisTX
Apr 11, 2013, 06:50 AM
I think all of the "sold at cost" tablets have ruined the pricing of tablets forever. Now any company that tries to do more than just break even is considered "overpriced". Without the sale of media,and content it would be hard for Samsung to make any money selling at cost.

hyteckit
Apr 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
$50 too much.

Was hoping for $349 price tag.

Guess I'll have to wait until the price drops.

After owning the Note 2, I kinda feel the s pen is not that useful on Android because of the lack of apps.

I think it's a lot more useful on my new Samsung Windows tablet.