Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perception78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here so hope i'm putting this thread in the right place...and secondly i don't have a mac so hope i'm not going outside of the 'guidelines'.

I'm using a jailbroken iphone 4 on 6.1.2 and windows 7.

I have searched extensively on the web for this issue, but have not been able to find a fix that works for my situation.

I synced my iphone's bookmarks to Internet Explorer via tunes, this must have copied over the bookmarks bar and bookmarks menu to my iphone, i then re-enabled icloud sync for safari on my phone which then pushed these 2 folders to the CLOUD. As we all know these 2 folders cannot be deleted from the phone itself. I can delete them from internet explorer and then re-sync via itunes which removes them from the iphone, BUT that requires icloud safari sync to be turned off, and as soon as i turn it back on, the folders reappear!

I'm looking for a way to delete them from the cloud.

I did install icloud control panel for windows thinking i could delete the folders from the internet explorer cloud side of things and the change would be reflected on my iphone, but this doesn't work because:

a) enabling IE bookmarks sync on the icloud control panel creates a duplicate set of bookmarks on the phone. It basically pushes from IE to the phone the same set that were synced with IE initially via itunes. I can delete the duplicated set and the change is reflected on iphone, but the initial set is still stuck on the phone.

b) it doesn't PUSH the iphones bookmarks to IE, only the other way round, so i cannot delete them from IE and thus my phone. Even a new bookmark created on the phone fails to show in IE. So that leads me to ask, is it meant to be a one-way sync like this? I installed safari for windows and changed the bookmark sync option to safari in the icloud Control Panel, but the problem here is that i am unable to delete the two folders from within the safari browser (although i do get a general two-way sync).

Looks like the folders are permanently 'stuck' in the cloud, as there isn't a way of accessing and deleting them from the 'cloud' side of things.

Hmmmm i dunno I'm just thinking randomly here, but what about deleting the folders from the iphone root directory, so that they are deleted from the phone hence applying the 'delete' to the cloud also?

The other option is simply to turn off icloud safari sync on my iphone but that would be like surrendering :)

But realistically, maybe there isn't any way other than restoring and what not.

Thanks for reading and i appreciate any input!

Last edited:

Perception78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Why are you turning sync off? Remove them, and give them a bit to sync. It might take awhile, but it'll be done eventually.

Hi there,

Thats just the thing, i cannot remove them from the cloud side of things from anywhere. I can do it if i hook my iphone up to itunes, sync with IE and remove them from IE, but as i said, that involves having to turn off icloud safari on phone, and as soon as its turned back on the bookmarks reappear.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hi there,

Thats just the thing, i cannot remove them from the cloud side of things from anywhere. I can do it if i hook my iphone up to itunes, sync with IE and remove them from IE, but as i said, that involves having to turn off icloud safari on phone, and as soon as its turned back on the bookmarks reappear.

You're doing it backwards. Remove from IE, THEN sync with IE. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.