Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
i ordered it today. install was done on tues. I have 50 photos and will start to post them today thur. to mods please forgive mulit posts as I have 30 plus photos of proper 2 drive install

Last edited:

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Really interesting one, I need to read the proper review but the price tag is mouthwatering... By the end of this year I take that HDD will only be a old memory!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Really interesting one, I need to read the proper review but the price tag is mouthwatering... By the end of this year I take that HDD will only be a old memory!

laptop hdds will become ssds handwriting is on the wall. but the big hdds with 3tb 4tb 5tb should stick around for a few years.

guaranteed to be 399.99 in about 2 months haha

if they go down to 400 as normal and 320 as a deal the 2.5 inch hdd will die in 2 years. the best 2.5 inch laptop is a 1tb 7200 rpm by hgst on sale it is 80 bucks.

so 80 vs 570 the hdd stays alive .

but 80 vs 320 the hdd would be in trouble.

the 2.5 inch laptop needs a size boost maybe a 1.5tb that is 9.5mm and only 80 bucks.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
My favorite law is moores law.

it is used a lot I guess gordon e. moore knew what he was talking about.

from wiki:

Moore's law is the observation that over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years. The period often quoted as "18 months" is due to Intel executive David House, who predicted that period for a doubling in chip performance (being a combination of the effect of more transistors and their being faster).[1]
The law is named after Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore, who described the trend in his 1965 paper.[2][3][4] The paper noted that the number of components in integrated circuits had doubled every year from the invention of the integrated circuit in 1958 until 1965 and predicted that the trend would continue "for at least ten years".[5] His prediction has proven to be uncannily accurate, in part because the law is now used in the semiconductor industry to guide long-term planning and to set targets for research and development.[6]

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
it looks like every link that is posted is more expensive now then when it was originally posted. looks like interest is causing a effect on pricing.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
it looks like every link that is posted is more expensive now then when it was originally posted. looks like interest is causing a effect on pricing.

Definitely looks that way. Even at $650 at Newegg, that's still a heck of a deal for basically 1TB of SSD. Compared to the competition it's pretty fantastic (at this time). Considering that Newegg only has 3 1TB SATA SSD's and the other two are priced at 1K and 2K, that makes this one a pretty darn good deal. I know it will only be a matter of time before other vendors follow suit which will drive 1TB SSD's down considerably. Can't wait until we see a Samsung 840 (maybe 850?) Pro with 1TB of storage.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I wonder how will it work in a external usb 3 caddy if it does need to be powered or if the power from the USB3 will be enough.. In the review they say it uses considerably less energy..

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
i ordered it today

Did you get in stock? Amazon is out of stock now, given a 2month shippng estimate

Newegg is out of stock today too, even with the more expensive price tag. I guess a lot of people were waiting for this release. Entire inventory sold out on day 1.

Looks like it is still available on Crucial website:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT960M500SSD1

They ship worlwide, but be prepared to pay insane customs taxes.

And yeah, nobody will want the smaller versions, better stay with the Samsung 840, but the 960GB is the current king.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I don't think anyone actually has them to ship yet.

Newegg.com says ETA is 4/12/13, Amazon has their normal 1-2 month banner which really doesn't mean much, and Crucial is out of stock on their web store as well.

Perhaps yet this week they will start to become available... :)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Newegg.com says ETA is 4/12/13, Amazon has their normal 1-2 month banner which really doesn't mean much, and Crucial is out of stock on their web store as well.

Newegg had them in stock yesterday, but the interest in these probably drove their limited stock out the door already. Looks like shipment two comes in on Friday.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Even better, I do not plan un updgrade until my B-Day in October.. will this SSD fit in my 2012 Imac (replacing the standard 1TB HHD)?

yea it will fit..ssd's used to be 3 or 4 times more exspensive than they are now so take my 399 with a grain of salt

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
yea it will fit..ssd's used to be 3 or 4 times more exspensive than they are now so take my 399 with a grain of salt

Don't worry I will never ask you to pay me the difference between market price and the 399 in 2 months.... But hoping that the price will fall to 399 by October does not cost much!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Did you get in stock? Amazon is out of stock now, given a 2month shippng estimate

Newegg is out of stock today too, even with the more expensive price tag. I guess a lot of people were waiting for this release. Entire inventory sold out on day 1.

Looks like it is still available on Crucial website:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT960M500SSD1

They ship worlwide, but be prepared to pay insane customs taxes.

And yeah, nobody will want the smaller versions, better stay with the Samsung 840, but the 960GB is the current king.

they never had it in stock but for a very short time they offered it for 570.

I can wait to save the 90 extra newegg wants for it. 619 plus tax = 662

Giuly

macrumors 68040

Amazon had them in stock today for a bit, just to add the 1-2 month banner again. They still have three of the 480GB ones, though. But they aren't less expensive than the m4.

Before they popped up on Amazon, the soonest shipment I could see was 4/30 for all models.

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.