PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5S to Launch in 2-3 Different Screen Sizes?

MacRumors
Apr 9, 2013, 11:07 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/iphone-5s-to-launch-in-2-3-different-screen-sizes/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/iphone_5_lte-250x215.jpgTopeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White is out with another research note today sharing some highlights from day seven of his trip to China and Taiwan to talk with technology companies and other sources. Based on discussions with officials at an unnamed "tech-supply chain company", White now believes that Apple's iPhone 5S due for release later this year will arrive in two or possibly even three screen sizes.We also walked away with the view that Apple will release the iPhone 5S in at least two screen sizes this summer and possibly three. We continue to target July as the launch date. Essentially, we believe Apple is coming around to the fact that one size per iPhone release does not work for everyone and offering consumers an option has the potential to expand the Company's market share.White also believes that Apple will be releasing a lower-cost iPhone as part of the summer launch, but now sees a price tag in the range of $300-$350 rather than the $250-$300 price he had previously thought possible.

White's prediction of two or even three different screen sizes for the iPhone 5S, in addition to a lower-cost iPhone model, seems to be inconsistent with Apple's typically streamlined product lineups, especially when various carrier and capacity configurations need to be accounted for.

His prediction also conflicts with claims made by a number of other sources, including reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who maintains that the iPhone 5S will indeed primarily be a spec bump of the iPhone 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/04/new-iphones-still-expected-to-launch-in-junejuly-fingerprint-sensor-for-iphone-5s/) with the same 4-inch display, an improved camera system, and perhaps a fingerprint sensor as a differentiating factor.

As a result, we view White's prediction with considerable skepticism unless independent corroborating claims surface leading into the iPhone 5S launch.

Article Link: iPhone 5S to Launch in 2-3 Different Screen Sizes? (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/iphone-5s-to-launch-in-2-3-different-screen-sizes/)

osx11
Apr 9, 2013, 11:12 AM
please!!!!

mtrctyjoe
Apr 9, 2013, 11:12 AM
Nope.

shareef777
Apr 9, 2013, 11:13 AM
I have concrete proof that they will be coming out with anywhere from 1 to 1 MILLION different sizes.

SylarDX85
I'm calling this one bs. 2-3 screen sizes? I doubt it.

typeadam
Doubt it. Tho a 4.3" or 4.5" would be nice. :cool:

Dagless
Apr 9, 2013, 11:14 AM
I don't believe it, but I'd love a new iPhone with the same display size as my 4S. Not keen on that tall screen.

bushido
Apr 9, 2013, 11:14 AM
i predict that its coming out in white and black and will start at 16GB for 199€

Dades
Apr 9, 2013, 11:16 AM
Apparently, they're also going to be manufactured in North Korea.

Another true story.

Radio
Apr 9, 2013, 11:18 AM
Seeing how apple caved on the iPad - the now iPad mini - you'd have to be a very cynical person to believe that apple won't release a larger screened iPhone.

Get out of here with "the screen size is perfect bs"

pezj
Apr 9, 2013, 11:21 AM
Call me close minded but I do not see Apple doing this! Maybe it's because I love the size of my current phone but I do not want more choices.

makingdots
Apr 9, 2013, 11:21 AM
If Apple ever release larger screen size, I bet it will be 4.8" screen, still 326 ppi, 1363x768.

Current 4.0" and 3.5" screen apps would be automatically zoom to 1.2x (120%) still crisp at 272ppi, that’s higher than retina 9.7" iPad (264 ppi). Of course, devs can take advantage of the resolution increase if they optimized their apps. Also, homescreen icons would still be 45 not 55, it will just be spacier like what they did on the iPad.

UnfetteredMind
Apr 9, 2013, 11:22 AM
As long as my new iRing doesn't cause scratches on it ...

iPaf
Apr 9, 2013, 11:22 AM
I say: "Why not?"

Apple could introduce a lineup of iPhones just as they do with Macs. iPhone mini and 2 iPhones with Pro specs at 4" and 4.5" displays (just like the Air and the Pros)

KylePowers
Apr 9, 2013, 11:23 AM
Oh goody, I can have a 6th row of app icons :rolleyes:

Justin941
Apr 9, 2013, 11:24 AM
Steve Jobs already rolled in his grave when the ipad mini came out, how many more times is he gonna have to roll in his grave?

dude-x
Apr 9, 2013, 11:25 AM
How about improved battery? iPhone 5's battery life blows.

Jayomat
Apr 9, 2013, 11:26 AM
Two sizes may make sense, the "old" iPhone-iPhone4S size, and the 4" for the current, or coming, generations. Three seem unlikely to me, but I'm obviously not an "analyst" ;)

SmileyBlast!
They need to do this.
People's hands are all sizes. It's kinda weird how they expect one size of phone to be universally preferable to everyone on the planet.

That was narrow thinking and Samsung capitalized on it to gain market share by providing phones with larger screens. The bigger form factor also means more battery life potentially as long as the ratio of screen size/power consumption is not exponential.

polaris20

Really? Mine's awesome, even at the end of the day after extensive use, I'm at 50%.

iPaf
Apr 9, 2013, 11:27 AM
Steve Jobs already rolled in his grave when the ipad mini came out, how many more times is he gonna have to roll in his grave?

Oh yeah, cause he wasn't the one who commanded and planned it :eyeroll:

KylePowers
Apr 9, 2013, 11:28 AM
How many times are people not going to realize that Jobs was involved in the development of numerous products after his passing and even continuing into the next year or two? :confused:

Companies have roadmaps for products years and years in advance... you don't think they just design 'em in a month all willy and nilly and throw them into the production line, do ya'?

Gasu E.
Apr 9, 2013, 11:29 AM
I have concrete proof that they will be coming out with anywhere from 1 to 1 MILLION different sizes.

Obviously, this brings Dr. Evil to mind. Considering that everyone will own a desktop manufacturing system in 20 years, somone with more energy than me could come up with a time travel scenario where the 1 MILLION joke actually makes sense in this context.

BlaqkAudio
Apr 9, 2013, 11:33 AM
You do realize Jobs helped lay out an outline for product releases for the next couple of years? Despite what he said in the past, chances are he was behind the iPad mini.

sulpfiction
Apr 9, 2013, 11:34 AM
Seeing how apple caved on the iPad - the now iPad mini - you'd have to be a very cynical person to believe that apple won't release a larger screened iPhone

Not this time around. There will be a 5S that will look identical to the 5 with minor spec bumps, and possibly a new feature. That's it for next release. If u believe anything else, you will be highly dissappointed.

Maybe for the 6 we'll get a screen increase. And thats a BIG maybe. But no way this fall.

iVoid
Apr 9, 2013, 11:34 AM
Maybe:

iPhone 5S with the same sized screen as the 5.

iPhone 5S with a 5" screen (same ratio and resolution as the 5 display, so no software changes needed).

iPhone 5S with a 7" iPad mini screen (plus runs the iPad iOS).

g0odfr1end102
Apr 9, 2013, 11:36 AM
"Topeka Capital Markets analyst..."

Aaaaaaand I'm done here.

----------

Maybe:

iPhone 5S with the same sized screen as the 5.

iPhone 5S with a 5" screen (same ratio and resolution as the 5 display, so no software changes needed).

iPhone 5S with a 7" iPad mini screen (plus runs the iPad iOS).

7" iPad Mini screen? Really? I mean, really, REALLY, REALLY ?

irfaanfaki
Apr 9, 2013, 11:38 AM
If apple do make a bigger screen iPhone, in my opinion it will be marketed as "designed to be used with 2 hands" or something along that lines. Phil Schiller thrashing Galaxy for taking a one handed device and blowing it up then shows off new iPhone with software enhancements for 2 handed use :D

Still waiting in iveOS 7 tho

dvoros
It would only make sense for Apple to release the next version of the iPhone in its minimalist 4 inch screen and a new model with a 5 inch screen that consumers are clamoring for. Thats why they won't do it!:mad:

MacMan1620

my battery life is amazing. the days my battery life drains quickly is when my phone is looking for cellular signal. I blame the networks.

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 9, 2013, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't go so far as say I won't buy the next iPhone if this happens, but if it does, I will be convinced that Apple is doomed to repeat the mistakes they made the first time Jobs was gone, and this time he won't be coming back to save them (Unless any of us forum posters who clearly know how Apple aught to be run somehow become CEO of Apple, of course.)

brimmy
Apr 9, 2013, 11:40 AM
If this were to be true, I only hope that those who don't want to get the largest screen size available aren't penalised in terms of other specs.

M-O
they should have a 3.5" and a 5". 3.5" is perfect for me, but i know some older and/or larger people who have trouble with it. a larger phone would be good for them.

jnkatriya
Apple must need to release iPhone with full HD screen size support to compete to Android devices. Otherwise not sure how they will justify to users without it when they will release new device.

sc4rf4c3
Apr 9, 2013, 11:43 AM
Apparently, they're also going to be manufactured in North Korea.

Another true story.

Yeah, this is true. North Korea is Apple's secret weapon against Samsung.:p

nippyjun
Apr 9, 2013, 11:46 AM
They need a larger size to stay competitive. They would be foolish if they don't do it. 2 sizes, not 3.

iVoid
Apr 9, 2013, 11:47 AM

Yes, why not? I wouldn't want to hold it up to my ear to talk (and hopefully Apple wouldn't set it up to be used like that), but with a headset or bluetooth headset, why not have a iPad mini sized device with full phone capabilities that can be your sole mobile device?

I don't have an iPad for just that reason: I don't want to carry my phone and an iPad around.

nick_elt
Apr 9, 2013, 11:54 AM
5" or not interested. (and revamped ui)

Radio
Apr 9, 2013, 11:55 AM
Not this time around. There will be a 5S that will look identical to the 5 with minor spec bumps, and possibly a new feature. That's it for next release. If u believe anything else, you will be highly dissappointed.

Maybe for the 6 we'll get a screen increase. And thats a BIG maybe. But no way this fall.

Agreed

We'll get a very incremental upgrade

"This is our best iphone yet !"

;)

nick_elt
Apr 9, 2013, 11:56 AM
Maybe:

yeh, when all other companies have full hd...........

good luck

Tankmaze
Apr 9, 2013, 11:59 AM
3 screen sizes x 3 different capacity (16-64 gb) x 2 colors... So its 18 combination. Yea,
Can't really see this happening. Not simple enough.

tekno
I do not want more choices.

Apple's dream consumer.

Speedy2
Too good to be true.

nick_elt
Apr 9, 2013, 12:00 PM
3 screen sizes x 3 different capacity (16-64 gb) x 2 colors... So its 18 combination. Yea,
Can't really see this happening. Not simple enough.

how many options does the ipad line have again???

Speedy2
Apr 9, 2013, 12:03 PM
I love the size of my current phone but I do not want more choices.

So everybody else shouldn't have the choice either?

----------

It's pretty obvious, to anyone with a little insight into product development cycles at least, that the iPad Mini project must have started quite some time before SJ died.

nick_elt
Apr 9, 2013, 12:04 PM
Call me close minded but I do not see Apple doing this! Maybe it's because I love the size of my current phone but I do not want more choices.

oh look its pezj, Apples largest shareholder and he doesnt want anymore choices, sorry consumers not this year!

SockRolid
Apr 9, 2013, 12:07 PM
His prediction also conflicts with claims made by a number of other sources, including reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo ...

Part of the reason why there are so many conflicting predictions is because men are just plain competitive. We're always trying to out-do each other in some way, including being the first to predict some wacky future. And that includes male analysts. And most analysts are male.

Women analysts, on the other hand, statistically seem to be more concerned with accuracy. And it shows:

http://www.techrepublic.com/whitepapers/self-selection-and-the-forecasting-abilities-of-female-equity-analysts/1903609

ppdix
Apr 9, 2013, 12:15 PM
:cool:

Ventilatedbrain
Apr 9, 2013, 12:19 PM
I cannot believe the amount of idiocy and closed mindedness in this forum .. how the ******* does it affect you if apple released 2 screen sizes ??? Steve jobs rolled over what ???

Grow up people , you sound like parrots just regurgitating other people's ideas claiming you believe in them ..

I dismissed the idea of a 7" iPad .. But I actually went out and bought one as it changed my concept of smaller tablets and apparantly, they are selling by the ton ..

If you lot were so smart wouldn't you be running your own successful companies by now ??

I'm sorry if I came a bit to strong but I'm really trying to find a forum/website where half of its users aren't retarded and shout down every idea like they know what the hell they are talking about

1.No Steve jobs wasn't God
2.tim cook is doing a very good job . He's not an inspirer ,he's someone who gets the job done
3.please refrain from using "INNOVATION". You barely know what it means , and none of us know what innovation is if it slapped us in the face

/rantoff

winston1236
Apr 9, 2013, 12:31 PM
Yea right. The 5s will look just like the 5.

iPad5
Apr 9, 2013, 12:32 PM
Finally, a smart move by Tim Cook!

jrswizzle
Apr 9, 2013, 12:36 PM
Here's how I see it (not sure if this happens in 2013 or 2014, but it'll happen soon):

iPhone "5S" = iPhone (4") - no generational notations....just like all other Apple products. The four inch iPhone will be simply the iPhone - definitely coming sometime this year.

iPhone + = iPhone (5") - not sure what the naming convention will be, but this will be the larger iPhone likely with a bigger battery and maybe a boost in GPU power to run a screen with double the resolution of the 4" iPhone (for ease on devs).

budget iPhone = a cheaper 4" iPhone - not sure what they call this either, but a slightly thicker, likely plastic encasing with a 4-inch retina display and last generation's chipset (So the other iPhones get the A7, the cheaper one gets the A6 and so forth - along the same lines as the iPod touch which would likely be cannibalized) priced in the Nexus range off contract.

On contract you'll see this pricing:

cheap iPhone 8GB = Free
cheap iPhone 16GB = $99
iPhone (4") = $199 (add $100 for each bump in storage, 16-64GB)
iPhone + (5") = $299 (add $100 for each bump in storage, 16-64GB)

Each updated annually.

The two iPhones Jobs was rumored to have a hand in are likely the cheaper iPhone and larger iPhone....wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. At any rate, if this lineup becomes reality, you can bet Jobs had something to do with it as they were likely being planned for a few years ago.

iPad5
Apr 9, 2013, 12:41 PM
iPhone 5S with 3.5-inch Retina display: $329
iPhone 5S with 4-inch Retina display: $599
iPhone 5S with 4.85-inch Retina display: $649

Features: iOS 7, NFC, offered in five different colors

Good bye, Samsung!

rumz
Apr 9, 2013, 12:49 PM
I love all the "Apple wouldn't" comments.

The way I see it, they have MacBook Pros in 2 sizes. MacBook Airs in 2 sizes. iPad in 2 sizes.

If the iPhone is such a huge revenue generator and important part of the business for Apple now, then what's the problem with having more than one size?

Now, whether I believe we'll see a larger screen this summer, I'm not convinced. But in the future, sure.

typeadam
Apr 9, 2013, 12:57 PM
"Topeka Capital Markets analyst..."

Aaaaaaand I'm done here.

----------

That would be way too big to be a suitable PHONE. I think a lot of people forget the iPhone is still a telephone and has to be sized as such.

"'Hoboken Auto Trader' says..." ~Brian Regan :D:D

currentinterest
Apr 9, 2013, 01:02 PM
From where I sit Apple already sells iPhones in two sizes, 3.5 inch and 4 inch. And, this is across 3 models that are still being manufactured. Different screen sizes of 4 and 4.8 would not be all that different. Discontinuing the 4 and 4S, would free up production for the 5S and the new cheaper 5. A plus size would be an addition. It should be possible to check the suppliers soon to figure out what is going to happen. I keep thinking, "What if the new cheap phone is the larger screen size?" Larger screen, plastic = lower end, would be interesting positioning and cause real problems for competitors.

claus1225
Apr 9, 2013, 01:50 PM
Again, people need to get around the fact that there is not much difference if you pay $200 or $300 for a contracted iPhone at start-up.

You are going to pay $100 every month for two years anyway.

----------

iPhone 5S with 3.5-inch Retina display: $329
iPhone 5S with 4-inch Retina display: $599
iPhone 5S with 4.85-inch Retina display: $649

Features: iOS 7, NFC, offered in five different colors

Good bye, Samsung!

Nah.. it's going to cost more than that. Apple products always have a premium added.

predation
Apr 9, 2013, 01:59 PM
a 4.5-5" screen iphone (width please) would get me to drop my android. that damn 4" tall screen is keeping me from switching.

TheAppleFairy
Apr 9, 2013, 02:01 PM
Give me a 3 inch iphone with NFC in Red and we'll be good to go.

jrswizzle
Apr 9, 2013, 02:15 PM
a 4.5-5" screen iphone (width please) would get me to drop my android. that damn 4" tall screen is keeping me from switching.

:rolleyes: *sigh*

It's not 4" tall.....its a 16:9, 4" (diagonally) display.....just like any other 4" display out there (see the Droid Razr line - they had a 4" phone almost exactly the same size).

There of course, will be added width to a 5" iPhone....because, of course, they would keep the same aspect ratio this time around (after moving to the more popular 16:9 from 3:2, which required only added height).

Are you people really this stupid or do you prefer to stay ignorant so you can complain about nothing? :confused:

mrsir2009
Apr 9, 2013, 02:25 PM
I don't think so - If they made the screen bigger, they'd have to make it wider, as increasing the height again would just be ridiculous. And increasing the width would be backtracking on their previous statements made not-too-long-ago saying that the width of the iPhone is perfect for the human hand.

TheAppleFairy
Apr 9, 2013, 02:28 PM
I don't think so - If they made the screen bigger, they'd have to make it wider, as increasing the height again would just be ridiculous. And increasing the width would be backtracking on their previous statements made not-too-long-ago saying that the width of the iPhone is perfect for the human hand.

What do you mean? This doesn't look ridiculous at all.

http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/story_media/62218744/iphone10.jpg

mrsir2009
Apr 9, 2013, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't go so far as say I won't buy the next iPhone if this happens, but if it does, I will be convinced that Apple is doomed to repeat the mistakes they made the first time Jobs was gone, and this time he won't be coming back to save them (Unless any of us forum posters who clearly know how Apple aught to be run somehow become CEO of Apple, of course.)

Yeah - Their Mac and iOS lines are already crowded and messy. They need to cut back to the core products, like they did in the late 90s.

jrswizzle
Apr 9, 2013, 02:33 PM

Yes, because everything Apple says when marketing their products should be taken as the unequivocal truth....

It's marketing for crying out loud....they'll find a way to spin it the next go around, they did for the iPad mini.

You guys.....man.....the amount of nonsense posted about this "taller" business is absurd...

For example:

"The iPhone 4" is already perfect for one-handed use, but our customers wanted a larger screen. So we're giving them the iPhone 5" - which still easily fits in one hand, and has the beautiful retina display...blah blah blah...."

Those marketing videos never say anything anyways - hell, didn't Ive say somewhere in the iPad mini video that you could USE the mini with one hand?

Taipan
Apr 9, 2013, 02:55 PM
yeh, when all other companies have full hd...........

good luck

That's one of the differences between Apple and others: Apple drastically increased resolution, which had an incredible effect on the quality of (especially) displayed text. Then others picked up the ball and threw it further in the same direction for no additional benefit.

Regarding the original rumor: Makes sense, Apple has been known for their radical changes of the exterior design in "S"-releases.

firewood
Apr 9, 2013, 03:21 PM
Has anyone considered that it may be cheaper to manufacture a slightly bigger/fatter iPhone? Less miniaturization might lead to easier assembly and higher yields. This any new low-end model might be the bigger one with a slightly bigger display (but the same pixel count).

Zerilos
Apr 9, 2013, 03:36 PM

If this company is as concerned with the opinion of a man who passed away over a year and a half ago as you seem to think they should be, then Apple is in big trouble. Job's was a great man, but continuing to restrict product designs to what people assume would have been his preference would be like Ford refusing to advance beyond the Model-T. As times and technologies change, so to do the expectations of consumers; companies that anticipate these changes will survive where others fall.

Furthermore, if Job's "rolled in his grave" at the release of the Mini; then it's definately time to move past his direction. The Mini, by all accounts and every standard, has been a huge success.

typeadam
Apr 9, 2013, 03:45 PM
Give me a 3 inch iphone with NFC in Red and we'll be good to go.

3"? That's a bit small now isn't it? 3.5" is too small for my hands.
Then again I don't know what size hands you have, nevertheless... :D

steelmarco
Apr 9, 2013, 04:16 PM
I bet they'll just maintain the iPhone 5 as 'entry level' phone, then introduce a newer 4" 5S, same design as 5, specs bumped and a new 4.8" as someone said, with the same width but sightly taller.

I don't buy the cheap plastic iPhone for emerging markets, at least for now.

alexN350z
Apr 9, 2013, 04:51 PM
They should do that long time ago.

Michael Scrip
Apr 9, 2013, 05:16 PM

That 4" tall screen is simply a 4" 16:9 screen that other phones had 3 years ago. Nothing fishy about it.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

nick_elt
Apr 9, 2013, 05:40 PM
That's one of the differences between Apple and others: Apple drastically increased resolution, which had an incredible effect on the quality of (especially) displayed text. Then others picked up the ball and threw it further in the same direction for no additional benefit.

Regarding the original rumor: Makes sense, Apple has been known for their radical changes of the exterior design in "S"-releases.

no additional benefit? you look at a 5" at full hd and have a look at a 5" screen at apples resolution and tell me there is no additional benefit. You are saying Apple made stuff incredible but the competition did it for no benefit????????????? stop drinking the apple kool aid. I am an apple fan but fanboys are stupid.

a0me
Apr 9, 2013, 07:01 PM
Seeing how apple caved on the iPad - the now iPad mini - you'd have to be a very cynical person to believe that apple won't release a larger screened iPhone.

Get out of here with "the screen size is perfect bs"
MacBook and iPod come in 3 screen sizes (used to be 4) and both iMac and iPad are available in 2 sizes.
What is the reasoning behind iPhone having to be one size fits all?

Radio
Apr 9, 2013, 07:14 PM
MacBook and iPod come in 3 screen sizes (used to be 4) and both iMac and iPad are available in 2 sizes.
What is the reasoning behind iPhone having to be one size fits all?

steve jobs - he often preached that the 'old' iphone screen was perfect.

maybe johnny ives? he went for taller and gave some bs about how our thumb can cover the entire screen

im with u though- they need to make the phone larger.

we use the phone so much - we will compromise size for efficiency

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 9, 2013, 07:20 PM
Yeah - Their Mac and iOS lines are already crowded and messy. They need to cut back to the core products, like they did in the late 90s.

I'm expecting to see the MacPro and MacMini lines merge into a single headless line this year... maybe a much smaller tower that's still about as flexible as the Pro was?

iPad5
Apr 9, 2013, 07:22 PM
I love you Apple!

Mattsasa
Apr 9, 2013, 08:57 PM
i predict that its coming out in white and black and will start at 16GB for 199

give this man a medal

etrinh
Apr 9, 2013, 10:36 PM
What is full HD? 1080p?

Apple must need to release iPhone with full HD screen size support to compete to Android devices. Otherwise not sure how they will justify to users without it when they will release new device.

----------

The more offerings a company has, the less they can streamline manufacture ring capabilities. They already have difficulties with Foxxcon and other manufacturers providing enough supply. You want Apple to add more products? How will they know what to order at what quantity?

They need to do this.
People's hands are all sizes. It's kinda weird how they expect one size of phone to be universally preferable to everyone on the planet.

That was narrow thinking and Samsung capitalized on it to gain market share by providing phones with larger screens. The bigger form factor also means more battery life potentially as long as the ratio of screen size/power consumption is not exponential.

Gigaman
Apr 9, 2013, 10:49 PM
They need to do this.

No. They don't "need" to do this. Not everyone is going to like one thing- that's a given, but they certainly don't "need" to make a bigger screen size for their phones. They WANT to do it because it'll only benefit them. They were doing amazingly with just one size.

I'm glad you mentioned Samsung, but they're not the first to introduce a larger screen size. The first phone to do it was a complete flop. Remember that phone? Me neither. I'm pretty sure a larger screen/phone size was the result and compromise of adding better specs to help Samsung's product's performance and decent battery life. You have it backwards.

calebkingston
Apr 9, 2013, 11:25 PM

I believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you STRANGER!

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8305/2722325097c6e40b58ccbay5.jpg

Tankmaze
Apr 9, 2013, 11:28 PM
how many options does the ipad line have again???

2 screen size x 3 capacity size x 2 colors x 2 wifi & lte version.... well thats 24, and that is for both the ipad full size and the mini.

Again, that is for all the ipad. Unless apple would divide the smaller screen iphone as the iphone "mini". I can't see apple to bother with 3 different screen size, what would the screen resolution be?

Right now we have to support 320x480, 640x960 and 640x1136 screen size for the iphone, imagine if they introudce another 2 different screen res.

I'd rather have apple revise the iphone using 1080p res screen and be done with it for the next 3 years.

Squilly
Apr 9, 2013, 11:33 PM
Hell for developers....

ZeroGauge
Apr 9, 2013, 11:35 PM
Would I like it to happen? Absolutely.

Will it happen? I go back and forth. Part of me thinks it can since we've heard just about all the "Apple would never" and "Steve Jobs wouldn't of approved" comments in the past, which Apple proved the pessimists wrong (ie: iPhone 5 leaving the typical 3.5 inch screen for a 4 inch screen, iPad mini, iPod touch getting a bigger size and color selection, etc). With the same breath I do feel that Apple is kinda set in there ways in trying to drag things out with the "S cycles". Hoping for change but won't hold my breath.

mentaluproar
Apr 10, 2013, 01:14 AM
http://www.fedupusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Grumpy-Cat-NO.jpg

Taipan
Apr 10, 2013, 01:53 AM
no additional benefit? you look at a 5" at full hd and have a look at a 5" screen at apples resolution and tell me there is no additional benefit. You are saying Apple made stuff incredible but the competition did it for no benefit????????????? stop drinking the apple kool aid. I am an apple fan but fanboys are stupid.

What I meant was pixel density. Of course a bigger screen warrants a higher resolution, but I doubt increasing pixel density from Apple's 360 or so dpi to about 470 will make a noticable difference.

nick_elt
Apr 10, 2013, 03:54 AM
What I meant was pixel density. Of course a bigger screen warrants a higher resolution, but I doubt increasing pixel density from Apple's 360 or so dpi to about 470 will make a noticable difference.

Well when some companies use different screen technołogy to apples, of course there is a difference. Just because apple told you there isnt doesnt make it fact.

----------

Hell for developers....

Its the consumers that pay $$$$$$ you say its hell, its their job.

stol
Apr 10, 2013, 06:53 AM
... iveOS 7...

Haha! Sounds like a great (internal) name!

On topic, I still believe the next available line up will just be 4S/5/5S (with whatever enhancements that model may carry). Still 2 screen sizes and 3 (starting) price points. Simple.

TheAppleFairy
Apr 10, 2013, 07:14 AM
3"? That's a bit small now isn't it? 3.5" is too small for my hands.
Then again I don't know what size hands you have, nevertheless... :D

I am a fairy with a purse full of pixie dust, so I have to carry the phone in my small pockets. I don't want my pockets full of an over sized phone. I want a portable phone.

I'd liked the side of my 4S screen, but it's kind of thick. Slim that down and I'd be happy with a 3.5 inch screen, but 3 inch would be ideal.

sebastian...
Apr 11, 2013, 03:41 AM
A 3.5 inch new phone would be perfect. But make it powerful, slightly more powerful than the 5 inch version, so the buyers of the ones with the bigger screen can get jealous :D