PDA

View Full Version : to wait or not for newer MBA and iPad

fjs08
Apr 9, 2013, 11:12 AM
I have a 6 yr old MBP and an iPad 1.
Want to get both but thinking of waiting till new versions come out.
Obviously there is no "correct" answer, but I'm curious if the people here see much to wait for. Simple computing and ipad needs.
I do a lot of my computing on my iPhone 5 now. Would like something w a larger screen. Thinking of an iPad mini and MBA 13" w 256 HD and 8 ram. Would like to put windows on for a few programs.
Thoughts appreciated.
Thx.
Frank

DisplacedMic
Apr 9, 2013, 11:18 AM
here in north carolina we have a tax-free weekend in august so that's when i am buying a MBA... this is what's motivating me to hang-tight until then: a $200 discount and potentially upgraded machine!

metanoiac
Apr 9, 2013, 12:24 PM
I am in a similar situation like you: 1st gen iPad and unibody MacBook from 2008.

I am pretty certain I will go for the next iPad model, but I am not interested in the current model.

iPad is priority, the MBA depends on how the next model will look like. Haswell processor seems to be fairly certain, but since I am working with a lot of text, I would really appreciate a retina screen. Not sure if this is even on the agenda of Apple, but seeing the newer lineup should give a better idea.

Michael Goff
Apr 9, 2013, 12:57 PM
I have a 6 yr old MBP and an iPad 1.
Want to get both but thinking of waiting till new versions come out.
Obviously there is no "correct" answer, but I'm curious if the people here see much to wait for. Simple computing and ipad needs.
I do a lot of my computing on my iPhone 5 now. Would like something w a larger screen. Thinking of an iPad mini and MBA 13" w 256 HD and 8 ram. Would like to put windows on for a few programs.
Thoughts appreciated.
Thx.
Frank

The real question is: Does the 6 year old Macbook Pro do what you need it to do? If you don't need the newer laptop now, I'd wait. Haswell will bring about some good things, or so I'm told. They might also bring down the rMBP (13") to the point where it'd be a good idea to get that instead of the air.

fjs08
Apr 9, 2013, 01:14 PM
My MBP is really getting slowwww..
Last OSX that I did, guess it was the last I could do just seemed to really hammer the speed.
I really can't use Safari at all. I use Firefox, but like Safari.
Takes forever to shut down.
I see the beach ball spinning WAY too often.
Almost like it's a Crash waiting to happen.
I know what you mean. Up to this point, I haven't pulled the trigger because the old MBP has done everything I needed.
I'm looking at the new iPad because at the office, I currently use my iPhone for email and facebook and it's so tiny.. even on the iPhone5. I'd like a cellular iPad mini or regular size iPad. Something a little larger.
Whichever Mac I end up getting, I have it attached to an Apple Cinema monitor so I'm not sure it actually matters which Mac or which size I get. It won't be off the desk that often. But I would like something lighter to take to the grandkids w me. Apple has so many neat things to choose from... it's a tough decision<g>.
Frank

stchman
Apr 9, 2013, 01:23 PM
The next gen MBA will more than likely receive few upgrades as to keep the price down.

People keep saying MBA and Retina screen, I just don't see it happening with the 13" rMBP out there.

Right now MacMall has some good prices on MBA and they have free shipping and no sales tax (for most).

I cannot comment on anything iPad.

----------

here in north carolina we have a tax-free weekend in august so that's when i am buying a MBA... this is what's motivating me to hang-tight until then: a $200 discount and potentially upgraded machine!

Amazon and MacMall have no tax(for now) and free shipping on MBAs right now.

Mrbobb
Apr 9, 2013, 01:59 PM
Obviously there is no "correct" answer

Today, April 9, 2013, there IS a correct answer, WAIT. Because products are DUE for a refresh. UNLESS of course you are desperate, but doesn't sound like u do.

itsOver9000
Apr 9, 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm curious if the people here see much to wait for.

Simple computing and ipad needs.

MBA 13" w 256 HD and 8 ram. Would like to put windows on for a few programs.

I'd say get it now if you want it. I got a 13" Air 2.0GHz i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD a few days ago and love it. More than adequate for simple computer needs. Thin, light, fast, incredible..
I kind of wish I had went with an 11" Air, but the price wasn't that different for the same spec. 11" as my 13" - about $80 difference. That $80 gets you a bigger screen, longer battery life, sd card slot.. better deal I think.

I figured the wait for Haswell wasn't worth it for me. Supposed improved graphics doesn't really matter for me right now - I have a dedicated gaming PC and a horde of gaming consoles. Better battery life doesn't really matter to me either - the battery already lasts plenty long for my needs.

In the end you just have to make up your own mind.

Mrbobb
Apr 9, 2013, 02:01 PM
here in north carolina we have a tax-free weekend in august so that's when i am buying a MBA...

Am lucky enough that my business travels take me to Portland, OR, one of the no sales tax states. Wink-wink. :)

DisplacedMic
Apr 9, 2013, 04:06 PM
The next gen MBA will more than likely receive few upgrades as to keep the price down.

People keep saying MBA and Retina screen, I just don't see it happening with the 13" rMBP out there.

Right now MacMall has some good prices on MBA and they have free shipping and no sales tax (for most).

I cannot comment on anything iPad.

----------

Amazon and MacMall have no tax(for now) and free shipping on MBAs right now.

yes - but there's no upgrading - you get it as is. if that works, then Amazon's your guy!

I agree with you on the retina issue 100%

DisplacedMic
Apr 9, 2013, 04:46 PM
Am lucky enough that my business travels take me to Portland, OR, one of the no sales tax states. Wink-wink. :)

no doubt man - i definitely looked into that but none of the tax-free states are anywhere near here...

SireOfSeth
Apr 10, 2013, 06:05 AM
I'd say get it now if you want it. I got a 13" Air 2.0GHz i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD a few days ago and love it. More than adequate for simple computer needs. Thin, light, fast, incredible..
I kind of wish I had went with an 11" Air, but the price wasn't that different for the same spec. 11" as my 13" - about $80 difference. That $80 gets you a bigger screen, longer battery life, sd card slot.. better deal I think.

I'm trying to make my mind up between the MBA 11" (8GB RAM) and 13" (4GB RAM). I know that your spec is different to what I'm looking at, however...

You bought a 13", and say that you wish you got the 11" instead, but then go on to list the advantages of the 13". Why would you have preferred the 11"?

itsOver9000
Apr 10, 2013, 11:00 AM
I'm trying to make my mind up between the MBA 11" (8GB RAM) and 13" (4GB RAM). I know that your spec is different to what I'm looking at, however...

You bought a 13", and say that you wish you got the 11" instead, but then go on to list the advantages of the 13". Why would you have preferred the 11"?

Just for looks mostly. :)
The 13" Air is quite impressive but something about the 11" impresses me just a little bit more. The 11 and 13" are the same thickness (or thinness rather) but it just amazes me how much they have crammed in the little 11".
Maybe for you since you won't be looking at bumping up the specs. in the 13", the 11" with more RAM would be the better choice.

DisplacedMic
Apr 10, 2013, 11:01 AM

i know you weren't talking to me but i wanted to chime in and say that i myself am leaning towards the 11 mba upgraded ram and cpu. the 13" just didn't feel like an ultralight to me - it's only .5 lbs lighter than the RMBP and has a larger footprint.

that being said it's a better deal than the 13" RMBP for what you get IMO - so to me the real choice is between the 11" MBA and the 15" MBP/rMBP

that being said i don't think anybody who gets any of these is too disappointed with their choice as they're all exceptional computers and the 13" RMBP is no exception.

stchman
Apr 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
yes - but there's no upgrading - you get it as is. if that works, then Amazon's your guy!

I agree with you on the retina issue 100%

Amazon has very little upgrades, but Macmall allows you to customize your mac.

DisplacedMic
Apr 10, 2013, 04:26 PM
Amazon has very little upgrades, but Macmall allows you to customize your mac.

good to know!

SireOfSeth
Apr 11, 2013, 03:16 AM
Just for looks mostly. :)
The 13" Air is quite impressive but something about the 11" impresses me just a little bit more. The 11 and 13" are the same thickness (or thinness rather) but it just amazes me how much they have crammed in the little 11".
Maybe for you since you won't be looking at bumping up the specs. in the 13", the 11" with more RAM would be the better choice.

I know what you mean. Where technology meets art. With the bonus of being in an incredibly small package.

i know you weren't talking to me but i wanted to chime in and say that i myself am leaning towards the 11 mba upgraded ram and cpu. the 13" just didn't feel like an ultralight to me - it's only .5 lbs lighter than the RMBP and has a larger footprint.

that being said it's a better deal than the 13" RMBP for what you get IMO - so to me the real choice is between the 11" MBA and the 15" MBP/rMBP

that being said i don't think anybody who gets any of these is too disappointed with their choice as they're all exceptional computers and the 13" RMBP is no exception.

Saw a bargin in the Apple Store last night. Not a MBA, but a Refurbished 13" rMBP. 14% off normal (new) price - which equates to a saving of €230!!! Therefore, only €100 more than I was going to pay for the MBA. Bang goes the credit card. Happy days! :D

kulimer
Apr 11, 2013, 11:04 PM
Wait! Patience is a virtue.

When new models come you get to decide if the new one fits you, for instance, some, like me, may not care about better graphics.

The older model always goes on sale at that time. As a buyer, you have a choices and a bargain in front of you. I don't think that's so bad for the price of waiting. ;)

----------

I'm looking at the new iPad because at the office, I currently use my iPhone for email and facebook and it's so tiny.. even on the iPhone5. I'd like a cellular iPad mini or regular size iPad. Something a little larger.

Apple has so many neat things to choose from... it's a tough decision<g>.
Frank

The moderators won't like this, but have you looked at Android? The Galaxy in particular. Bigger screen, fast processor, great finish touch.