PDA

View Full Version : Chrome for iOS Updated with Fullscreen Browsing on iPhone and New Printing Options

MacRumors
Apr 9, 2013, 01:11 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/chrome-for-ios-updated-with-fullscreen-browsing-on-iphone-and-new-printing-options/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/chrome.jpgGoogle has updated its Chrome browser for iOS to version 26, adding full-screen browsing on the iPhone and iPod touch, new printing options, and the ability to save webpages as PDFs to a Google Drive account.

When scrolling down with full screen browsing, the toolbar at the top of the screen will disappear for more reading real estate. Scrolling back down will cause the bar to reappear.

Printing webpages via the Chrome app can be accomplished via Google Cloud Print or Apple's AirPrint, and PDF versions of websites can be saved to Google Drive.What's New in Version 26.0.1410.50
Fullscreen for iPhone and iPod touch
-Scroll the toolbar off the screen to enjoy the full page of content.
-Quickly re-access the omnibox by scrolling back down.

Printing
-Print web pages with Google Cloud Print or AirPrint.
-Save any page as a PDF to Google Drive

Stability / security improvements and bug fixesChrome (http://appshopper.com/utilities/chrome) is a universal app that can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id535886823?mt=8#)]

Article Link: Chrome for iOS Updated with Fullscreen Browsing on iPhone and New Printing Options (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/chrome-for-ios-updated-with-fullscreen-browsing-on-iphone-and-new-printing-options/)

Undecided
Apr 9, 2013, 01:13 PM
Printing just needs to die.

otggamer
Apr 9, 2013, 01:13 PM
Now if only Apple would let me set Chrome as my default browser w/o having to jailbreak...

gmanist1000
Apr 9, 2013, 01:15 PM
Now if only Apple would let me set Chrome as my default browser w/o having to jailbreak...

It would be nice if they let it run on its own engine.

UnseenLlama
Apr 9, 2013, 01:16 PM

It can be very useful when printing postage labels. Buy postage online, print it thru Google Print if I'm not at home. Now I have the ability directly from my iPhone/iPad, even away. I find this very convenient. Airplay is restricted to being on the same wifi.

gloryunited
Apr 9, 2013, 01:17 PM
I've been using Chrome as my primary browser on iPhone.

Safari is lacking, 8-tabs limit, still no omni-search bar, although it got snappier. :p

pnoyblazed
Apr 9, 2013, 01:27 PM
finally they added printing.... took them long enough

5aga
Apr 9, 2013, 01:30 PM
the only thing lacking in Chrome iOS is the reader feature like Safari has. Cant live without it

Xenomorph
Apr 9, 2013, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure I understand Google's "Cloud Print"-thing...

This is what is lists as my Printers:

http://i.imgur.com/VdkOl9P.png

How do I remove these "devices" from the printer selection?

M-O
Apr 9, 2013, 01:40 PM
Save any page as a PDF... why can't safari do this!!??

----------

Safari is lacking, 8-tabs limit, still no omni-search bar, although it got snappier. :p

i had no idea there was an 8-tab limit...

GenesisST
Apr 9, 2013, 01:40 PM

I agree in theory, just not practical at the current time, at least for me. If only to print my son's school stuff to put on the fridge to let me know when is what in the morning.

It's hard to pin a pdf on the fridge... And no my life doesn't revolve around an iPad, which I don't need to make sandwiches for my kids... :D

bushido
Apr 9, 2013, 01:41 PM
love chrome on my iphone, dont remember the last time i used safari. this new zoom feature is neat! it works by itself unlike on safari where u have to tap it and only works holding it to the side which i never do if im not mistaken

alent1234
Apr 9, 2013, 01:52 PM

when stubhub gets passbook, let me know

crisss1205
Apr 9, 2013, 01:55 PM

That is very dangerous. Giving them access to Nitro is also dangerous. Both allow you to run unsigned code.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 9, 2013, 02:01 PM

----------

Most people don't....generally because most people don't have that many tabs open on a mobile browser.

----------

They aren't going to open up the OS to Google.....just isn't going to happen.

locoboi187
Apr 9, 2013, 02:03 PM
best experience you can currently get with chrome is when iPhone is jailbroken. Set chrome as default, and download Nitrous!!!!

the8thark
Apr 9, 2013, 02:11 PM
And enjoy all your personal data being taken and used by Google.

Do we really need copy/pasted patch notes of programs by Apple competition posted here?
There's nothing rumourish about this article all. Smells like MacAdvertising to me.

jonAppleSeed
Apr 9, 2013, 02:19 PM
Is this the first release without WebKit?

gloryunited
Apr 9, 2013, 02:48 PM

----------

Fair enough... I guess I might be of the minority which usually have 20+ tabs open. :D

adam044
Apr 9, 2013, 02:52 PM
Just more of a reason for me to keep using it

ar3ar2
Apr 9, 2013, 02:53 PM
That is very dangerous. Giving them access to Nitro is also dangerous. Both allow you to run unsigned code.

Please don't tell me you actually believe a theory made by some random developer.

The reason Apple does not allow access to Nitro is not to protect you, but to protect iOS from you. That is, they don't want to make it make it easy for you to jailbreak your iPad or iPhone.

Apple does not care about security as much as you think. Just look at the vulnerabilities they fixed in 6.1.3. I quote

1. A local user may be able to execute unsigned code
2. A local user may be able to determine the address of structures in the kernel
3. A local user may be able to change permissions on arbitrary files
4. A local user may be able to execute arbitrary code in the
kernel

4 out of 6 vulnerabilities deal with local users, as in the owner of the device, getting higher privileges or running code. That's not a security threat, unless you consider the owner of the device to be a malicious hacker.

aristotle
Apr 9, 2013, 02:55 PM
Is this the first release without WebKit?
No, browsers on iOS have to use Webkit.

@ar3ar2: It is not the end user that they are really afraid of but rather the sites that end user might be tricked into visiting through social engineering. That is what makes it a security vulnerability.

rmwebs
Apr 9, 2013, 03:10 PM
Chrome for iOS is great. Continuing to put Safari to shame.

As others said, if only you could set it as the default browser. It's going to happen, Apple will have to add default app switching sooner or later!

TXCherokee
Apr 9, 2013, 03:17 PM

Um, no.

cclloyd
Apr 9, 2013, 03:18 PM
It's a bit annoying the way fullscreen keeps appearing/disappearing.

Dr McKay
Apr 9, 2013, 03:30 PM
Um, no.

He was referring to Safari on the iPhone.

Cod3rror
Apr 9, 2013, 03:31 PM
It's a bit annoying the way fullscreen keeps appearing/disappearing.

Yeah, super annoying IMO. When you want to switch tabs you have to scroll the page up and then, after the toolbar appears, tap the button.

They should make it as an option, I don't want full screen.

newagemac
Apr 9, 2013, 03:32 PM
Chrome for iOS is great. Continuing to put Safari to shame.

As others said, if only you could set it as the default browser. It's going to happen, Apple will have to add default app switching sooner or later!

Chrome for iOS is pretty second rate compared to Safari. First of all, it is significantly slower. That's a fact due to it not being able to use the Javascript engine in Safari. In fact, because of this none of the 3rd party browsers will ever be as fast as Safari. You must work for Google or something.

Chrome is also lacking features. It's only just now getting full screen? This has been in Safari for half a year now. Ever since iOS6 was first introduced. And only now the ability to Print? That was like iOS 4 or something. Chrome also doesn't have the Reader feature, doesn't have Reading List, and doesn't work with iCloud like Safari and many other 3rd Party apps.

But really the main thing is just how much slower it is than Safari. Even if it could catch up in features that's a deal breaker for me.

bozzykid
Apr 9, 2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah, super annoying IMO. When you want to switch tabs you have to scroll the page up and then, after the toolbar appears, tap the button.

Why not just tap the very top of the screen and the toolbar appears.

ar3ar2
Apr 9, 2013, 03:43 PM
It is not the end user that they are really afraid of but rather the sites that end user might be tricked into visiting through social engineering. That is what makes it a security vulnerability.

You didn't even bother reading my post. Those vulnerabilities have nothing to do websites sending you malicious code. They're all local vulnerabilities.

Apple is more afraid of jailbreaking than remote attackers.

cclloyd
Apr 9, 2013, 03:43 PM

I was thinking swipe it left or right to hide it and swipe it back on that top portion of the screen, otherwise it would just switch tabs if you dont do it at the top.

rmwebs
Apr 9, 2013, 03:59 PM
Chrome for iOS is pretty second rate compared to Safari. First of all, it is significantly slower

Meh never found Safari or Chrome to be overly slow on iOS.

That's a fact due to it not being able to use the Javascript engine in Safari. In fact, because of this none of the 3rd party browsers will ever be as fast as Safari.
I know, I'm an app developer ;)

You must work for Google or something. Why? Because I praised something they created/own? Grow up. :rolleyes:

Chrome is also lacking features.

Correct. But you could say that about anything really.

It's only just now getting full screen? This has been in Safari for half a year now.
Cant honestly say I'll use (or have used) fullscreen as I've never had a need for it on iOS or the mac so cant comment there.

And only now the ability to Print? That was like iOS 4 or something.

Again, not something I'd use. However why exactly would this ever be a killer feature or anything? Sorry but at this point its clear you're only here to throw the 'google sucks' vote into the thread.

Chrome also doesn't have the Reader feature, doesn't have Reading List, and doesn't work with iCloud like Safari and many other 3rd Party apps.

That would be because it syncs with your Google account instead.

You seemed to neglect a few features chrome has. Such as tabs. Safari is limited to 9, Chrome is not. Then there's the private/incognito mode being baked into the app (instead of piddling around in the main Settings app).

Then you have tab quick swiping, search and surf (with live results), device to device syncing, tab homescreen, better keyboard layout to name a few.

But really the main thing is just how much slower it is than Safari. Even if it could catch up in features that's a deal breaker for me.

This gets way overstated IMO. As long as your internet connection isn't the speed of dialup, it's fine.

TXCherokee
Apr 9, 2013, 04:03 PM
He was referring to Safari on the iPhone.

Yep, I see that now. My bad.
In my (weak) defense, I very rarely browse at all on my phone so I've never approached the limit. On the ipad however, I knew it went over 8 tabs because my wife doesn't know the meaning of closing tabs. ;)

newagemac
Apr 9, 2013, 04:21 PM
Why? Because I praised something they created/own? Grow up. :rolleyes:

This gets way overstated IMO. As long as your internet connection isn't the speed of dialup, it's fine.

You said Chrome puts Safari to shame when it is a fact that Chrome is significantly slower than Safari. Browser rendering speed is arguably the most important aspect of any browser. This is what they concentrate most on improving. Rendering web pages as fast as possible is basically their main purpose. Especially on mobile devices where it is even more important.

And I didn't even get to all the other features and UI wins Safari has over Chrome. Chrome is missing a share button which is a major fail. And Chrome's forward and back buttons are at the top rather than the bottom like in Safari making one handed navigation much more difficult. Especially on the taller iPhone 5. And unlike Safari, they are too close together in landscape.

But again, the main thing is Chrome is just too slow compared to Safari. This is very noticeable on sites that use a lot of javascript and dynamic content or lots of comments like on The Verge. You might be ok with that but every time I use Chrome I would be thinking about how much faster every page on the site I'm currently reading would be if I was using the superior Safari browser with the Nitro JS engine.

C DM
Apr 9, 2013, 04:41 PM
Um, no.

4070858 for iPhone and iPod Touch devices, 24 for iPads.

APlotdevice
Apr 9, 2013, 04:58 PM

I actually doubt Apple will ever implement an omni-search bar in Safari for iOS. Why? Because of the context sensitive nature of the on-screen keyboard; when typing in the address bar, you will notice the space bar replaced with keys more useful for typing URLs.

bozzykid
Apr 9, 2013, 05:25 PM
I actually doubt Apple will ever implement an omni-search bar in Safari for iOS. Why? Because of the context sensitive nature of the on-screen keyboard; when typing in the address bar, you will notice the space bar replaced with keys more useful for typing URLs.

It doesn't in chrome. It just adds those common url options (.com, etc) above the keyboard.

APlotdevice
Apr 9, 2013, 05:34 PM
It doesn't in chrome. It just adds those common url options (.com, etc) above the keyboard.

I'm aware of this. But that's not really something I can see Apple doing. Sure they could incorporate it better, but still it's added complexity and that's just not their style.

gloryunited
Apr 9, 2013, 05:42 PM
But then if you look at Chrome's on-screen keyboard when typing in the omni bar, it also got the slash, dash, dot, and even .com above the keyboard. Apple can add a row of keys to Safari just like Chrome did.

With Safari on Mountain Lion getting the omni bar finally, I guess Apple would think that extra feature outweighs the "copycat" accusation.

Of coz I doubt Safari would copy the swipe-to-switch-between-tabs feature too. But they are really good features to have.

----------

I'm aware of this. But that's not really something I can see Apple doing. Sure they could incorporate it better, but still it's added complexity and that's just not their style.

Oops you guys beat me to it.

I also want to point out, in Safari for iPhone, when you add a new tab it doesn't automatically put you in the address field. I mean you have to tab again to call out the keyboard and type.

Why make us look at the blank tab which doesn't have shortcuts to websites, when clearly we'd like to dive into searching something since we JUST opened a new tab??

And btw, who remembers and types in the entire URLs anyway? A quick search will usually do. Otherwise bookmarks.

bozzykid
Apr 9, 2013, 05:43 PM

The way Chrome does it isn't added complexity. It is added simplicity. Users don't have to know where they go to search or enter a url. The omnibar just works no matter what users enter. You would be surprised how many people don't know the difference between search and url bars.

gloryunited
Apr 9, 2013, 05:49 PM
The way Chrome does it isn't added complexity. It is added simplicity. Users don't have to know where they go to search or enter a url. The omnibar just works no matter what users enter. You would be surprised how many people don't know the difference between search and url bars.
But what I found funny is that my dad insists to type google.com in the omnibar and to start searching only on the familiar Google page. Even after I show him the power of the omnibar.

JayCee842
Apr 9, 2013, 05:52 PM
"Scrolling back down will cause the bar to reappear."

Scrolling back down or up? The bar reappears when I scroll back up...:confused:

gloryunited
Apr 9, 2013, 05:59 PM
"Scrolling back down will cause the bar to reappear."

Scrolling back down or up? The bar reappears when I scroll back up...:confused:
Scrolling back up. Swiping down was what he meant I guess.

Well now that the bar doesn't go away no matter how I scroll on this current page. Weird.

C DM
Apr 9, 2013, 06:15 PM
But then if you look at Chrome's on-screen keyboard when typing in the omni bar, it also got the slash, dash, dot, and even .com above the keyboard. Apple can add a row of keys to Safari just like Chrome did.

With Safari on Mountain Lion getting the omni bar finally, I guess Apple would think that extra feature outweighs the "copycat" accusation.

Of coz I doubt Safari would copy the swipe-to-switch-between-tabs feature too. But they are really good features to have.

----------

Oops you guys beat me to it.

I also want to point out, in Safari for iPhone, when you add a new tab it doesn't automatically put you in the address field. I mean you have to tab again to call out the keyboard and type.

Why make us look at the blank tab which doesn't have shortcuts to websites, when clearly we'd like to dive into searching something since we JUST opened a new tab??

And btw, who remembers and types in the entire URLs anyway? A quick search will usually do. Otherwise bookmarks.And that's likely why the address field isn't selected by default when you create a new tab--if a good portion of the people will often simply use a bookmark or go to search for something in a new tab, then going directly to the address bar by default would only slow down that process for a good number of people (as they would have to exit out of the address bar before going where they want to go).

QuarterSwede
Apr 9, 2013, 06:24 PM
best experience you can currently get with chrome is when iPhone is jailbroken. Set chrome as default, and download Nitrous!!!!
Nitrous is great! Even more useful for speeding up Facebook and Reeder for me.

gloryunited
Apr 9, 2013, 07:09 PM
And that's likely why the address field isn't selected by default when you create a new tab--if a good portion of the people will often simply use a bookmark or go to search for something in a new tab, then going directly to the address bar by default would only slow down that process for a good number of people (as they would have to exit out of the address bar before going where they want to go).
Then the search field, or better yet an omnibar, should be selected by default. Or having the bookmarks/most frequently visited sites on the new tab screen.

I know my example was not the best coz on a touch screen device it's easier to just tab your way to where you want, but from my experience with a mouse/trackpad then having to click on the search field would be one extra step (if what most people do is to search in a new tab).

a0me
Apr 9, 2013, 07:16 PM
I'd also like to be able to set Chrome as the default browser on my iPhone, but I don't see how letting it run on its own engine would have any noticeable benefits. This would introduce new potential security vulnerabilities with no tangible benefits for the vast majority of users.

chris2kari
Apr 9, 2013, 07:36 PM

Google have just announced that Chrome is being 'forked' off from webkit into their own proprietary code called Blink.

Kiss Chrome on iOS goodbye.

I love iOS devices, frankly they **** all over the second rate Android but i am a heavy web browser on mibile devices so at present i am stuck with using Mozilla Firefox on Android. it combined with Adblock & Noscript plugin give me almost identical experience on mobile or desktop.

If Apple would allow Mozilla on iOS i would toss Android in a heartbeat.

The future is mobile. Apple are you listening?

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 9, 2013, 07:55 PM

Up until recently (have they even made the change yet?) Chrome has been running WebKit on all platforms, iOS included. Just recently Google announced that they'd be branching WebKit... not sure what'll come of that or why they decided to do that...

C DM
Apr 9, 2013, 07:56 PM
Google have just announced that Chrome is being 'forked' off from webkit into their own proprietary code called Blink.

Kiss Chrome on iOS goodbye.

I love iOS devices, frankly they **** all over the second rate Android but i am a heavy web browser on mibile devices so at present i am stuck with using Mozilla Firefox on Android. it combined with Adblock & Noscript plugin give me almost identical experience on mobile or desktop.

If Apple would allow Mozilla on iOS i would toss Android in a heartbeat.

The future is mobile. Apple are you listening?Chrome in iOS is quite a bit different from Chrome for desktops/computers anyway, so it likely wouldn't really play that much of a role if the desktop version is being forked or not.

ratboy90
Apr 9, 2013, 08:04 PM
Chrome in iOS is quite a bit different from Chrome for desktops/computers anyway, so it likely wouldn't really play that much of a role if the desktop version is being forked or not.

Apple allows Mozilla on ios but they can't use safaris framework which makes any 3rd party browser slower. It's Mozilla who doesn't agree with it.

The Phazer
Apr 10, 2013, 06:56 AM
Chrome for iOS is pretty second rate compared to Safari. First of all, it is significantly slower. That's a fact due to it not being able to use the Javascript engine in Safari. In fact, because of this none of the 3rd party browsers will ever be as fast as Safari. You must work for Google or something.

Chrome is also lacking features. It's only just now getting full screen? This has been in Safari for half a year now. Ever since iOS6 was first introduced. And only now the ability to Print? That was like iOS 4 or something. Chrome also doesn't have the Reader feature, doesn't have Reading List, and doesn't work with iCloud like Safari and many other 3rd Party apps.

Nitrous.

Chrome already had more screen estate visable, and has better tab syncing solutions than iCloud ever did, not least because they port to Windows.

Gemütlichkeit
Apr 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
Now if Apple would just allow us to change default applications...

Squilly
Apr 10, 2013, 02:58 PM
I saw that and updated. I don't like the new font of the # of pages open.

----------

It can be very useful when printing postage labels. Buy postage online, print it thru Google Print if I'm not at home. Now I have the ability directly from my iPhone/iPad, even away. I find this very convenient. Airplay is restricted to being on the same wifi.

Google Print?

kdjflajdflajkd
Apr 10, 2013, 07:33 PM
Please don't tell me you actually believe a theory made by some random developer.

The reason Apple does not allow access to Nitro is not to protect you, but to protect iOS from you. That is, they don't want to make it make it easy for you to jailbreak your iPad or iPhone.

Apple does not care about security as much as you think. Just look at the vulnerabilities they fixed in 6.1.3. I quote

4 out of 6 vulnerabilities deal with local users, as in the owner of the device, getting higher privileges or running code. That's not a security threat, unless you consider the owner of the device to be a malicious hacker.

Local user vulnerabilities such as these are important problems to fix even if Apple did not care about jailbreaking. They are also known as privilege escalation vulnerabilities. Any app you run, runs as a local user. Fixing these problems prevents you from 1) malicious apps and 2) buggy apps.

These types of vulnerabilities might also be used for rooting your phone, but if you can root your phone using an app, then it is likely that the same vulnerability could be used to access your private data such as your contacts, email, etc.

One of the first jailbreaks used a Safari vulnerability which allowed the user to just go to a URL in Safari and trigger the jailbreaking. This also meant your iPhone was vulnerable to hacks using the same technique as the jailbreak.

crisss1205
Apr 11, 2013, 02:18 PM

I have no idea what developer you are talking about. I am using my knowledge of Nitro and iOS. Nitro uses a just in time compiler which can be dangerous if the app is rogue. And about the "LOCAL" vulnerabilities, you really have no idea what local means.
That means that any app, and webpage, anything the user does that is running as a local user is vulnerable. A rogue PDF (in the case of Jailbreakme.com) is a local vulnerability, so are apps.