Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
This problem is driving me crazy.

The wireless internet on my mini worked perfectly for the longest time, and I haven't changed anything at all. A few weeks ago, the wireless would all the sudden stop working. What would happen is, I'd be going from one page to another and then BOOM. No more loading, the little circular "loading" icon never ending. And if I leave it up long enough, the page will eventually show up as unable to load.

Let me get some things out of the way:

-This is not only to particular sites. It's very random and has happened on all different kinds of sites.

-It happens at all different times of day.

-I am pretty much always using it in the same room, and it's the room with the wireless router, so it's not a problem of being too far away.

-I have other wireless devices that still work perfectly fine and the internet isn't dropped on them even when the internet on the mini is dropped, so it's not the wireless connection itself.

-The internet worked perfectly on the mini, until it didn't, and now it's always like this.

So, my guess is it's something wrong with the mini itself. And it happens all the time now. Like, say, every fifth page I try to load.

I can get the internet back on temporarily each time, but it's a pain. What I have to do is, go into settings, turn wireless off, then turn it back on and wait for it to re-connect to the wireless and then I'm back in business...for about five more page loads until it does it again.

Can anybody help me fix this?

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hello Sun Surfer - not sure that I can correct your issues w/ the iPad but can give you some suggestions if not already tried (i.e. not sure how long you have had this device or what your level of experience may be?).

But, my first suggestion(s) are in the quote below - force close the browser app (assume that you are using Safari); if not successful then proceed to the other steps.

Still if of no help, power recycle your modem & router, i.e. pull the plug on each (unless you have an on-off switch) and then sequentially plug in the modem first & then the router - if these steps do not help, then please post back - good luck! :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Between the four I bought for my family, I have a vast number of friends and co-workers with Mini's. WiFi has been very reliable. I'd look at your network and follow the good advise in the above post.

superjscott

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
I got the same problem with the two iPad mini I bought for my family. I even took one to the Apple store to check but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I dont' know what I could do at this point. This is really annoying.

Sinizen

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Any luck?

Did you ever discover the issue? You've decribed the same issue my wife experiences. However, my iPad mini never has any issues.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I suffer from the exact same problem, both at home (only during evenings however) and at my girlfriends house (at all times). This has been the case for as long as I can remember. I've talked to Apple but they had no idea, they asked me to reset network settings. This did not solve the issue. Anyways, I'm out of warranty now so I doubt they'd replace it.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Air 2 only for this reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.