PDA

View Full Version : Main Office to Store Music Streaming

Djlyrit
Apr 9, 2013, 02:23 PM
Well, I've searched to the point where my brain is complete mush and I figured now would be the time to post a question.

... Wish I knew what my old account was. -_-

Anyways, I am Director of IT for a medium sized restaurant chain (We have 12 stores with 8 more coming online by Dec 2013) and currently we have a very, very strange system for music playing throughout the stores.... thanks to the old IT Guys. Currently, we use an iPod sync'd with the Owner's computer once every few weeks. It just simply shuffles through the music until the owner takes a 2nd ipod in and replaces it. I've personally found... and so has the kitchen staff... that this doesn't happen often. My kitchen staff are really tired of the same 30 songs. This will be an even bigger case as 4 of the 8 new stores are going to be more than 2.5 hours away which means we will rarely go to the stores.

A requirement that we have is the owner of the company REALLY wants to be in charge of the music. Yes, I've fought for Pandora, Spotify... ANYTHING other than that, but it is his company after all.

Currently, we're use mostly Mac's. We have a Mac & a PC in every store, we also have 12 servers sitting at the corporate office [Once again... the old guy]. I also have fiber optic connections to each of the stores so streaming isn't an issue.

What I would ideally like, is to use either one of my servers, or even the owner's iMac as a media streamer, and have something at each end pickup the stream and automatically play it/update itself as the owner changes the playlist. Currently, we only change the playlist once a week or so, maybe even a Podcast would work? However, I need it to be automated where the owner changes the playlist, it pushes to the dedicated device at the store that just plays the new songlist.

Also, licenses are not an issue as we are currently applying for a universal blanket license designed for companies like us.

Uofmtiger
Apr 13, 2013, 12:41 PM
You might want to try the Audiotap app. I am not sure how it handles several streams going at one time, but it will stream itunes or playlists to iOS.

ChrisA
Apr 19, 2013, 07:17 PM
Keep it simple. Use rsync to push a copy of a directory on a server out to the stores then the stores cycle through whatever is in that directory. Have rync run every night. The owner can sit at home and access the directory and move files in or out.