PDA

View Full Version : iMessage and FaceTime Down for Some, No Estimate on Service Restoration Yet

MacRumors
Apr 9, 2013, 03:21 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/imessage-and-facetime-down-for-some-no-estimate-on-service-restoration-yet/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/systemstatus.jpg
iMessage and FaceTime are both offline for "some users", according to Apple's iCloud System Status page (http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/).

The outage began just after noon Pacific time today, and the company has not given any indication of when service will be restored. Affected users will see iMessages fail to send and FaceTime calls fail to connect.

Article Link: iMessage and FaceTime Down for Some, No Estimate on Service Restoration Yet (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/imessage-and-facetime-down-for-some-no-estimate-on-service-restoration-yet/)

iproductsuser
Apr 9, 2013, 03:22 PM
Great.

lolkthxbai
Apr 9, 2013, 03:23 PM
Super, I guess nothing is wrong with my hackbox then.

Kissaragi
Apr 9, 2013, 03:24 PM
Went down mid photo transfer for me, dang it!

4God
Apr 9, 2013, 03:27 PM
Yep, almost an hour and a half now...come on Apple! or AT&T! or anybody I can blame...:p

itsjosephmartin
Apr 9, 2013, 03:27 PM
I feel like Maps should be in Orange until they get Maps to work better...

AMDeeb
Apr 9, 2013, 03:28 PM
"It doesn't work"

JosephAW
Apr 9, 2013, 03:30 PM
No iMessage with sprint on the east coast in pa.
Tried rebooting but no go. :\

I wonder if this has anything to do with my new iPhone 4S rebooting all by itself yesterday. It was like a quick boot then apple then ready in 20 seconds. Never seen that before.
Maybe the gov made apple put sw on our phones so to snoop. ? That required a reboot to install.

matty.p
Apr 9, 2013, 03:31 PM
Yay mines still working! Even if it goes down at least it auto switches to regular texts.

Oldfash33
Apr 9, 2013, 03:34 PM
Down here in Mesa az

nrose101
Apr 9, 2013, 03:34 PM
Seems like iTunes match is having issues too.

Kissaragi
Apr 9, 2013, 03:38 PM
Green peace bombed an apple data centre?

macrumors12345
Apr 9, 2013, 03:40 PM
Seems to be working here (California).

bozzykid
Apr 9, 2013, 03:41 PM
Yay mines still working! Even if it goes down at least it auto switches to regular texts.

Too bad that's only true in theory.

MiWall81
Apr 9, 2013, 03:41 PM
Switched off iMessages awhile ago today. I'm in Phoenix AZ. The Internet is definitely having issues everywhere around here as well.

pnoyblazed
Apr 9, 2013, 03:44 PM
NYC here and it is down as well.. i think at around 4pm ish

notjustjay
Apr 9, 2013, 03:45 PM
Ah, that explains it. I was just trying to figure out why my iPhone was stuck in "waiting for activation" when I tried to turn iMessage off and on again.

joenruschia
Apr 9, 2013, 03:45 PM
down for me too

Davmeister
Apr 9, 2013, 03:46 PM
Not working either in London or Oxford.

gothamguy
Yep, almost an hour and a half now...come on Apple! or AT&T! or anybody I can blame...:p

I'm on AT&T and have no issue, although a friend on Verizon does. So, for once, it seems like AT&T is not to blame.

Radio
People still use FaceTime ?

bushido
Apr 9, 2013, 03:47 PM
yep its also down for me on the mac, iphone and ipad

migdaddy
Apr 9, 2013, 03:50 PM
down for me as well on Sprint in NYC.

coolfactor
Apr 9, 2013, 03:52 PM
Got a FaceTime multi-hour call going between Canada and Singapore right now. Working great, no problems. Maybe it's just the initial sign-in process that's broken, but established connnections aren't affected.

----------

The video and audio quality, and connection handling is better than Skype.

MacDawg
Apr 9, 2013, 03:52 PM
Back up for me in ATL

coolfactor
Apr 9, 2013, 03:53 PM

Nope, works that way for me all the time.

KieranDotW
Apr 9, 2013, 03:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gGa4Vkg.jpg

Rogers in Ottawa, ON; worked a half hour-ish ago. And so it begins...

migdaddy
Apr 9, 2013, 03:55 PM
Zombies!!!!

wsc9005
Apr 9, 2013, 03:59 PM
Down on my Mac and iPhone too. Tried it on both WiFi and cellar signals too.

Glasgow UK.

timsutcliffe
Apr 9, 2013, 04:04 PM

I imagine more and more people are using FaceTime all the time. It's pretty sweet.

matty.p
Apr 9, 2013, 04:05 PM

Hmm check your settings maybe you have the revert to regular text setting toggle turned off?

Still working in CA and iMessaging with people in Oregon without any problems.

ATC
Apr 9, 2013, 04:12 PM
Thankfully it's still working fine for me. Just used it a few mins ago. I'm travelling overseas at the moment and have been using FaceTime daily to talk to my wife and kid back home in Canada. It has saved me a ton of money. Roaming charges where I am right now are outrageous.

redhawk87
Apr 9, 2013, 04:13 PM
I was wondering why my texts were sent as text messages but people were responding with iMessages. I guess the outage to my account must of just happened ~30 minutes ago.

barefootman
Apr 9, 2013, 04:14 PM
All working fine here in Sydney, Australia.

migdaddy
Apr 9, 2013, 04:15 PM
still out for me in NYC.

Knighstalker
Apr 9, 2013, 04:19 PM
We're down up in Alaska!

hortod1
Apr 9, 2013, 04:19 PM
Got a FaceTime multi-hour call going between Canada and Singapore right now. Working great, no problems. Maybe it's just the initial sign-in process that's broken, but established connnections aren't affected.

----------

WAY better than Skype

buddybd
Apr 9, 2013, 04:20 PM
Just sent a couple of texts and they didn't go through. College Park, MD.

DanTheAppleMan
Apr 9, 2013, 04:21 PM
Possibly something to do with the DEA?
However unlikely, it does follow. I wouldn't be surprised if they've decided they don't like iMessage.

skylerdavid
Apr 9, 2013, 04:26 PM
Yup, I had to turn off iMessages on my phone.

Time for some good ol SMS-ing!

jrlcopy
Apr 9, 2013, 04:27 PM
Some people are down for me in NYC, but others work fine.

Nothing is syncing with the mac though, and for the last couple days some have been delivered to the mac that aren't delivered to the iphone.

whoathere
Apr 9, 2013, 04:29 PM
Down here in Chicago.

apollo1444
Apr 9, 2013, 04:30 PM
it just.."doesn't" work

migdaddy
Apr 9, 2013, 04:31 PM
Some people are down for me in NYC, but others work fine.

Nothing is syncing with the mac though, and for the last couple days some have been delivered to the mac that aren't delivered to the iphone.

Im in NYC and im down too. Yes ive been having that same issue. Started last night. Ipad messages were being received but wouldnt be received on my iPhone. Now its just down completely. Lameeeeeeeeeee

Jvaides
Apr 9, 2013, 04:32 PM
Service in Guatemala is down too!

takiman
Apr 9, 2013, 04:44 PM
not working for me in NYC.

echo2011
Apr 9, 2013, 04:45 PM
I'm in Washington State, iMessage went down around noon, still down.

4God
Apr 9, 2013, 04:58 PM
Seems to be working here (California).

Still down for me in California (Ventura).

rmwebs
Apr 9, 2013, 05:01 PM
Shock horror.

----------

Image (http://i.imgur.com/gGa4Vkg.jpg)

Rogers in Ottawa, ON; worked a half hour-ish ago. And so it begins...

You didn't need to post a screenshot, a simple "not working here" would have saved the bandwidth :p

kiantech
Apr 9, 2013, 05:03 PM
Down for me in San Jose, CA

alquimista
Apr 9, 2013, 05:05 PM
Luckily in Venezuela service is up and running! :)

kas23
Apr 9, 2013, 05:12 PM
Down for "some" users means down for "most" users.

ReallyOldGuy
Apr 9, 2013, 05:14 PM
down in Tampa

iMike13
Apr 9, 2013, 05:18 PM
Down in Indiana as well. Noticed it wasn't working around 9-ish this morning
:(

ddarko71
Apr 9, 2013, 05:20 PM
I've been having issues for a long time...too often I'll get the red exclamation point saying "not delivered", usually when sending pictures. Seems like many times those messages/pictures are actually going through, since the recipient replies, but it's frustrating not knowing if it's working or not

bozzykid
Apr 9, 2013, 05:23 PM
Hmm check your settings maybe you have the revert to regular text setting toggle turned off?

I have the option on. The problem is iMessage doesn't revert to SMS immediately when it is down. Messages can hang and it can take 5 minutes before it sends it as SMS.

hibby417
Apr 9, 2013, 05:23 PM
Down in Philadelphia for me...

cisco12kid
Apr 9, 2013, 05:24 PM
still down in orlando, fl been down for over 3 hours .... get it together apple!

koigirl
Apr 9, 2013, 05:26 PM
iMessage down on both Verizon and AT&T here in Raleigh, NC this afternoon - ongoing.

coolfactor
Apr 9, 2013, 05:35 PM
I find it amusing people saying "Down in ________"..... this [most likely] has nothing to do with your geographic location, but rather is a problem at Apple's centralized data centres.

MarcusNuccio
Apr 9, 2013, 05:36 PM
I wonder if this has anything to do with my new iPhone 4S rebooting all by itself yesterday. It was like a quick boot then apple then ready in 20 seconds. Never seen that before.
Maybe the gov made apple put sw on our phones so to snoop. ? That required a reboot to install.

That wasn't a restart, that was a "respring". It can happen if your phone is jail broken and/or you have too many apps running/tabs open in safari/tumblr or other website with continuous scrolling and lots of gifs.

gatearray
Apr 9, 2013, 05:37 PM

Seems like iTunes match is having issues too.

weird, my iPad did the same sort of reboot (respring) today when opening the music app that was playing at the time, it froze for a few seconds showing nothing, and then back to the lock screen, eek!

natharvey
Apr 9, 2013, 05:39 PM
Down for me in Dallas, TX

mittencuh
Apr 9, 2013, 05:41 PM
Why on earth does it matter where you're at and what carrier you're on??

coolfactor
Apr 9, 2013, 05:45 PM
weird, my iPad did the same sort of reboot (respring) today when opening the music app that was playing at the time, it froze for a few seconds showing nothing, and then back to the lock screen, eek!

Yup, my iPhone 4 did a weird reboot all of a sudden. I thought it just crashed, but it's a bit worrying reading that others had a similar reboot on the same day.

----------

My iMessages are up in the clouds, and they refuse to come down! This is a situation where I want the service to "come down"! hahaha :p

bozzykid
Apr 9, 2013, 05:48 PM
I find it amusing people saying "Down in ________"..... this [most likely] has nothing to do with your geographic location, but rather is a problem at Apple's centralized data centres.

Apple doesn't have a single centralized data center. It isn't uncommon for parts of Apple's datacenters to be working perfectly and not others, thus affecting only certain areas.

joedemax
Apr 9, 2013, 05:52 PM

What?! Facetime's audio and video is no where near as good as that of Skype. I find Facetime's audio codec unlistenable for long periods of time.

koigirl
Apr 9, 2013, 05:55 PM
Back up in Raleigh...

migdaddy
Apr 9, 2013, 06:07 PM
still down in NYC

toshibauser
Apr 9, 2013, 06:10 PM
Down here in Jacksonville Florida

coolfactor
Apr 9, 2013, 06:13 PM
What?! Facetime's audio and video is no where near as good as that of Skype. I find Facetime's audio codec unlistenable for long periods of time.

My experience is the exact opposite! I maintain 24-hour sessions with my girlfriend in Singapore and FaceTime's video and audio quality is surperior to that of Skype on both a home internet connection and on a 3G/LTE connection.

----------

Apple doesn't have a single centralized data center. It isn't uncommon for parts of Apple's datacenters to be working perfectly and not others, thus affecting only certain areas.

Yes, I did type "data centres", in plural, but their geographic diversity is nowhere near to more mature services like Amazon and Google. They only have two (?) datacentres providing service for the entire world, soon to be four (?).

cjmillsnun
Apr 9, 2013, 06:35 PM
Why on earth does it matter where you're at and what carrier you're on??

It doesn't.... It probably matters more which server cluster your iCloud details are stored on at the data centre

ineedamac
Apr 9, 2013, 06:42 PM
iMessage is down here in Arlington VA. It was working in NW DC earlier.

HE15MAN
Apr 9, 2013, 06:43 PM
It's is uncalled for

tigres
Apr 9, 2013, 06:52 PM
No wonder it has not been working all day- guess its down.

Bummer

4God
Apr 9, 2013, 06:57 PM
Mine just came back up. :D

migdaddy
Apr 9, 2013, 07:01 PM
I think mine is back up in NYC.

Edit: Yes mine seems to be working now. Hopefully its fixed.

mlmwalt
Apr 9, 2013, 07:09 PM
It 's baaaaack!!! :cool:

migdaddy
Apr 9, 2013, 07:25 PM
Its not 100% though, because messages take a while to say "delivered" to certain people. Not sure...

Design787
Apr 9, 2013, 08:06 PM
iMessage and Facetime are back online, as found on the iCloud website

I do not know the exact time when the connection was re-established

RoastingPig
Apr 9, 2013, 08:08 PM
thanks allot i missed out on a hoop session at the gym cause the messages didn't come thru

AznTakumi
Apr 9, 2013, 08:26 PM
Why does it mean down for some? Lol I was on 6.1.2 and jailbroken so I assume iMessage being down only affected those who were still on 6.1.2. Was anyone on 6.1.2 not affected or someone on 6.1.3 who was effected.

coolfactor
Apr 9, 2013, 10:09 PM
Why does it mean down for some? Lol I was on 6.1.2 and jailbroken so I assume iMessage being down only affected those who were still on 6.1.2. Was anyone on 6.1.2 not affected or someone on 6.1.3 who was effected.

They probably had some network outages. Messages and connections are handled by "farms" of servers, and most likely only part of that farm was affected. Many factors determine how the farm is distributed across the user load, so outages will undoubtably affect some users, but not all.

----------

It's is uncalled for

Huh? How much did you pay for iCloud this month?

srsub3
Apr 9, 2013, 10:59 PM
no interruption in champaign IL...

AlphaDogg
Apr 9, 2013, 11:36 PM
I'm glad it was up. I had to resort to antiquated SMS. I felt like an oldtimer, using SMS. Just kidding! I hate the green text bubbles.

cynics
Apr 10, 2013, 07:13 AM
I didn't realize it was down until I got 52 new messages all at once last night. I'm surprised they just "waited" instead of becoming SMS.

I don't like that I could miss and important message in an event like this.

szw-mapple fan
Apr 10, 2013, 07:54 AM
All working now

92jlee
Apr 10, 2013, 08:50 AM
Is there any way to stop pictures (mms) but still send them through iMessage? This happened yesterday and I didn't realise as I've only had the phone for a week! So I sent a few pictures and probably going to be charged.. I want to prevent this in the future but the disable mms button stops pictures through iMessage too.

drlunanerd
Apr 10, 2013, 09:00 AM
the disable mms button stops pictures through iMessage too.

It doesn't - at least not on stock iOS 6.1.3.

BornAgainApple
Apr 10, 2013, 09:33 AM
This is why I have an alternative texting app (Heywire) on my phone. The other alternative is to actually call someone ;)

92jlee
Apr 10, 2013, 05:51 PM
It doesn't - at least not on stock iOS 6.1.3.

It makes the "attach picture" button greyed out on mine. I'm stock latest update.

Ill try again and make sure my friend is defo on iMessage with signal and see what it does.

drlunanerd
Apr 11, 2013, 09:55 AM
It makes the "attach picture" button greyed out on mine. I'm stock latest update.

Ill try again and make sure my friend is defo on iMessage with signal and see what it does.

Strange. I even rebooted my test iPhone 5 after toggling in case that was a factor - perhaps you could try that too.

robdam1001
Apr 11, 2013, 10:32 AM
Glad it isn't just me, lol. I've been out of the country visiting Cananda and noticed that iMessage hasn't been working for the last 48 hours. Any idea if AT&T will reimburse me for all these SMS? It's still down for me FYI. "Waiting for Activation"

92jlee
Apr 11, 2013, 04:13 PM
Strange. I even rebooted my test iPhone 5 after toggling in case that was a factor - perhaps you could try that too.

I've checked and you are right, thank you. I'm still learning.

macalec
Apr 14, 2013, 08:19 AM
I was wondering why my messages were not going through. The last time they were having all of the issues they were doing updates at the data center. Maybe there will be an iCloud update at WWDC.