Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danox574

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Ignoring the fact that this makes no sense, I have a need to move my 256k AAC files to another format natively supported by a device without reducing quality further. I don't mind the disk bloat.

XLD and xACT won't use compressed m4a files as a source, MAX will but its removing album artist tags and blowing up my album art to a png instead of the previous jpg. Is there a OSX or PC software that can do this in one pass without tag changes?

danox574

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
You seem to be assuming no fidelity will be lost going from 256k AAC to 256k MP3, but that is wrong. It's not conversion, it's re-compressed into MP3 from a lossy source to begin with and degrades the audio further. Going to FLAC solves a hardware compatibility problem I have with no further reduction in sound quality beyond what already existed in the 256k AAC compression.

Edit: dbPowerAmp does a excellent job on this without any tag problems, I've found.

Last edited:

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005
You seem to be assuming no fidelity will be lost going from 256k AAC to 256k MP3, but that is wrong. It's not conversion, it's re-compressed into MP3 from a lossy source to begin with and degrades the audio further. Going to FLAC solves a hardware compatibility problem I have with no further reduction in sound quality beyond what already existed in the 256k AAC compression.

Edit: dbPowerAmp does a excellent job on this without any tag problems, I've found.

hi danox, i see your concern.
did dbpoweramp solve it, or are you saying it has in the past? afaik, dbpoweramp is pc only, although i know it will run on a mac via parallels or wine.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
Sorry Julien but danox574 looks to understand it all perfectly.

You're correct in saying it's conversion, but not transcoding. Conversion is a process by which a unit is changed, altered; transcoding is simply providing it a different container.

Reading in context the statement you quoted, danox574 understands that AAC to MP3 is a lossy conversion. Also understands that transcoding from AAC to FLAC will result in transcoding the existing library that will result in bloat, but provides the compatibility required.

If it's not clear, there'll be no generational loss. The AAC file is exploded to WAV (maintaining its existing quality) and compressing the WAV to FLAC there won't be any degradation from lossless to lossless.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
AK100 by iriver and Astell&Kern comes to mind. From memory it only plays a selection of open-source, license-free lossless formats.

HiFiMAN HM series of audio players I think has wider codec support, but believe still excludes AAC/ALAC.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ignoring the fact that this makes no sense, I have a need to move my 256k AAC files to another format natively supported by a device without reducing quality further.

iTunes will do the conversion. If you need to convert AAC to MP3. Set iTune's default formt to MP3 select the tracks and double click. Then selet "convert to MP3.

You WILL lose quality unless you select and MP3bit rate that is higher than the AAC bit rate. and even then you loose something. Will you notice? I don't know.

But iTunes will do this for you and it will keep all the tags. You end up with BOTH formats in the iTunes library. Pull out the ones you need.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
Reading the subject line, first and third posts, looks that the OP was looking to convert from AAC to FLAC and was able to achieve this using dbPowerAmp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.