PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] Google play store 4.0 update released

roxxette
Apr 9, 2013, 09:57 PM
"The Google Play Store app for Android has just been updated, and features a brighter, card-based interface from which users can more easily source new content. For a long time, the Play Store has presented Droidsters with a decidedly dark look, but the lighter aesthetic really helps accentuate the card-based theme, and the official rollout is now underway.

It will trickle out to those running Android 2.2 and above during the next couple of weeks, and as well as the cards, you’ll also immediately notice the increased clarity of icons and larger images."

Source: http://ow.ly/jTTmW

Still doesnt say how/where to get the update, do i go to software update or eventually the app will update without notice ?

tjl3
Apr 9, 2013, 10:14 PM
It'll eventually update, not sure if w/o notice, should be a system update I would imagine. You can always just download the apk w/ some searching.

Also, love the new layout, altho I think everything is functionally the same.

The iGentleman
Apr 9, 2013, 10:46 PM
"The Google Play Store app for Android has just been updated, and features a brighter, card-based interface from which users can more easily source new content. For a long time, the Play Store has presented Droidsters with a decidedly dark look, but the lighter aesthetic really helps accentuate the card-based theme, and the official rollout is now underway.

It will trickle out to those running Android 2.2 and above during the next couple of weeks, and as well as the cards, you’ll also immediately notice the increased clarity of icons and larger images."

Still doesnt say how/where to get the update, do i go to software update or eventually the app will update without notice ?

It will update on its own. I got my Play Store Update almost a week after I got it on my other Nexus 4. It just happens on its own.

MacRumorUser
Apr 9, 2013, 11:43 PM
I downloaded it and installed.

I do not like the new look at all.

animalx
Apr 10, 2013, 12:26 AM

I haven't gotten mine yet either. I can't wait for it to hit my phone.

It will update on its own. I got my Play Store Update almost a week after I got it on my other Nexus 4. It just happens on its own.
What do you mean you got it almost a week after your other phone? I thought it just released today.

From the pictures I have seen, I think it looks pretty good. Though to be fair I haven't actually gotten the update yet.

roxxette
Apr 10, 2013, 12:35 AM

Will you say is the same feeling like when apple updated the store ? I seriously hate the new look and the search function, hope the new play store its nothing like it.

ReanimationN
Apr 10, 2013, 01:04 AM
That looks so much better than the old Play Store app. Nice work Google, it needed a revamp badly.

SlCKB0Y
Apr 10, 2013, 01:07 AM
Direct link to APK for those who wish to install it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40108614

ChazUK
Apr 10, 2013, 01:12 AM
Will give this a whirl on the nexus 4. Thanks!

animalx
Apr 10, 2013, 01:34 AM
Direct link to APK for those who wish to install it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40108614

Awesome. Thanks

MacRumorUser
Apr 10, 2013, 02:15 AM
Will you say is the same feeling like when apple updated the store ? I seriously hate the new look and the search function, hope the new play store its nothing like it.

Its worse... Its basically like the old play store but made bigger for the visually impaired with apps all displayed in bigger grid / singular column table.

It just isn't very visually appealing and because it otherwise works the same as previously, if you though navigating was clunky before its worse now.

The iGentleman
Apr 10, 2013, 02:20 AM
Its worse... Its basically like the old play store but made bigger for the visually impaired with apps all displayed in bigger grid / singular column table.

It just isn't very visually appealing and because it otherwise works the same as previously, if you though navigating was clunky before its worse now.

I disagree. I find it easier to navigate as it is much less busy.

MacRumorUser
Apr 10, 2013, 02:28 AM
I disagree.

Different strokes ;)

paulsalter
Apr 10, 2013, 03:22 AM
Be nice to get a dark theme for it

I dislike these overly bright/white app designs that are coming out now

Dontazemebro
Apr 10, 2013, 04:01 AM
Looks like crap, icons are way too big.

MacRumorUser
Apr 10, 2013, 05:07 AM
^ Yeah that's my feeling. The icons are way too big. (disproportionately so) That you could only see 5 or 6 apps on screen and thats with a 1080p screen :eek:

I uninstalled and went back to factory version.

Noticed that with the new version also Google Music was unavailable for me, and yet it is there with the old version.

I think the leak version might only be suitable for certain devices ?

kevinof
Apr 10, 2013, 07:53 AM
New version is ok on an S3 in Ireland with Google Music (which is a first for here).

^ Yeah that's my feeling. The icons are way too big. (disproportionately so) That you could only see 5 or 6 apps on screen and thats with a 1080p screen :eek:

I uninstalled and went back to factory version.

Noticed that with the new version also Google Music was unavailable for me, and yet it is there with the old version.

MacRumorUser
Apr 10, 2013, 08:06 AM
New version is ok on an S3 in Ireland with Google Music (which is a first for here).

Yeah so maybe it just doesn't like 1080p devices ? Either way not working fully for me on the HTC One. I'm just uploading tracks using google music sync, god it's slow........ I thought it might attempt to match songs rather than upload the lot.

sc4rf4c3
Apr 10, 2013, 12:49 PM
I just downloaded the new Playstore with the dark theme and it looks way better.

MacRumorUser
Apr 10, 2013, 04:02 PM
I just downloaded the new Playstore with the dark theme and it looks way better.

Where do you get the dark theme?

Jessica Lares
Apr 10, 2013, 04:38 PM
I like it. I just don't like all the settings buttons on everything. They should have rethought that.

roxxette
Apr 10, 2013, 04:56 PM
Il just wait for the update to drop on my phone.

nfl46
Apr 10, 2013, 05:16 PM
Where do you get the dark theme?

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/3100-google-play-store-4025-and-12-other-g-apps-blacked-out-or-transparent-updated-040913/

Vegastouch
Apr 10, 2013, 06:10 PM
You can get it Here (http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/09/download-new-google-play-store-4-0-25/) There are two links to get it there. Im in no hurry. Ill just wait tfor it to update on its own.

adder7712
Apr 11, 2013, 12:02 AM
Or you can always Clear app data which forces the app to update (as far as I know).

It hasn't been pushed to my phone (nor my brother's) yet.

tjl3
Apr 12, 2013, 03:52 PM

Altho you probably already got an answer, I saw that the new Play Store was incomplete for consumers outside the US.

I installed and love the new layout, but it mostly has to do w/ the white color scheme. It gives it a more updated/modern look. My gripe w/ the Play Store has always been that it looked... cartoony? Given the black + every other color, color scheme.

One thing tho, icons getting reduced in size will likely be an unwanted change. For example the update button is probably less than half the previous size.

Assault
Apr 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
I prefer the new Play Store, just inverted. And icons are larger, not smaller:

MacRumorUser
Apr 14, 2013, 02:11 PM
I prefer the new Play Store, just inverted. And icons are larger, not smaller:

Yeah I don't like the massive icons. Take up way too much space. Especially in your myapps page if you have a lot previously.....

I have 61 apps installed on my One, and that is only 1/2 on myapps list.

jamojamo
Apr 14, 2013, 03:01 PM
Still hasn't been pushed to me yet. I can't believe it. :(

Vegastouch
Apr 14, 2013, 03:18 PM
Still hasn't been pushed to me yet. I can't believe it. :(

Me either but I'm not stressing. They have to push it to millions of devices.

iPad5
Apr 14, 2013, 04:55 PM

is it just me or the UI looks uglier??? what's up with such a bland and flat UI design?

jamojamo
Apr 14, 2013, 06:19 PM
is it just me or the UI looks uglier??? what's up with such a bland and flat UI design?

It's the new Google view, like Google Now cards. I actually like the cards in Google Now so I am not too stressed, some people say it looks better if you switch to dark theme.

mattopotamus
Apr 14, 2013, 06:31 PM
I like it... Just needs smaller icons. I feel like I am looking at a desktop on 640 X 480

Vegastouch
Apr 14, 2013, 09:57 PM
I like it... Just needs smaller icons. I feel like I am looking at a desktop on 640 X 480

I dont get it. Your saying when you install the new playstore, your icons on your phone will get bigger?

Assault
Apr 14, 2013, 11:56 PM

Google has instituted a common set of graphical standards called Holo. This design is to be followed on all Google apps and is encouraged to be used by 3rd party developers in order to present a more unified look.

This may not be appealing to people, just like many think iOS is nothing more than dead, outdated grid of icons, with horrible menus. But these are just opinions.

----------

I dont get it. Your saying when you install the new playstore, your icons on your phone will get bigger?

No. Just the icons of the apps within the play store. See my second picture above.

Vegastouch
Apr 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
Turned on my GS3 ths morning and had a app update notice. Clicked on it and noticed a different look to it. After updating the app i went to the playstore page and it was updated to 4.0.

roxxette
Apr 17, 2013, 01:02 PM
Got it couple of days ago, i actually didnt have to click on anything it just updated without notice.

Vegastouch
Apr 17, 2013, 01:36 PM
Got it couple of days ago, i actually didnt have to click on anything it just updated without notice.

Mine did too but before i noticed the store was updated, i updated an app first from my notifications and noticed it was different.

blackhand1001
Apr 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
Google has instituted a common set of graphical standards called Holo. This design is to be followed on all Google apps and is encouraged to be used by 3rd party developers in order to present a more unified look.

This may not be appealing to people, just like many think iOS is nothing more than dead, outdated grid of icons, with horrible menus. But these are just opinions.

----------

No. Just the icons of the apps within the play store. See my second picture above.

The issue I have with the new pay store design is that it actually follows holo less than the old version which kept pretty strictly to it. The other issue is that the scrolling is laggy on the new one. It was smooth on the old play store.

roxxette
Apr 17, 2013, 02:46 PM
they need to update the app icons, some look disgusting.

jeffscalettar
Apr 18, 2013, 10:14 PM
Just downloaded the new Playstore version and looks way better for me. :)

cynics
Apr 18, 2013, 10:59 PM
Kind of wonder when my Nexus 10 will get it :rolleyes:

jamojamo
Apr 19, 2013, 09:24 AM
I don't know what I did to make Google hate me. I still haven't gotten the update.

Please Google, I promise, I can change, I swear, no more late nights after being out with that tramp Apple..... :)

paulsalter
Apr 28, 2013, 05:43 AM
I know this can be side loaded so everyone can use it, but

has anyone got it officially outside the US yet?

daveathall
Apr 28, 2013, 06:41 AM

I'm in the UK and was wondering the same. I haven't had the update yet.

rillrill
Apr 28, 2013, 06:43 AM
i had to reinstall the system software and i it updated for me. if you don't mind losing anything, or are backed up, try that.

adder7712
Apr 28, 2013, 07:08 AM
Here's what mine looks like.

paulsalter
Apr 28, 2013, 11:22 AM
Here's what mine looks like.

What does the home page look like?

One of the reasons I didn't want to manually install it was I read the home page is blank outside the US (no recommendations etc), it only has a link to the different categories

Dr McKay
Apr 28, 2013, 12:11 PM

One of the reasons I didn't want to manually install it was I read the home page is blank outside the US (no recommendations etc), it only has a link to the different categories

I did the same, manually forced an update and it was mostly blank, downgraded the store now and waiting for it to get the update pushed out normally.

adder7712
Apr 28, 2013, 04:15 PM

The home page lists app recommendations.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2013, 06:46 PM
Looks more like Google Now, with the cards.

I wonder if this is any indication of what's to come with KLP. They'll be cards everywhere!!

adder7712
Apr 29, 2013, 01:58 AM
Looks more like Google Now, with the cards.

I wonder if this is any indication of what's to come with KLP. They'll be cards everywhere!!

Card based homescreens?

paulsalter
Apr 30, 2013, 09:30 AM
Just received the update this afternoon (UK)

Looks nice, better than I expected

Only downside is it's much slower than the previous version due to the larger icon sizes (I am on quite slow BB)

Sylon
Apr 30, 2013, 01:51 PM
I've had it on my Nexus 4 for awhile now. However, it hasn't updated yet on my Nexus 7 for some reason.

Switchback666
Apr 30, 2013, 01:53 PM

I did :) located in the caribbean.

lyunmac
Apr 30, 2013, 06:49 PM
My father's LG optimus T got the updated play store this past Saturday, the first time I set up my father's gmail account and connected his phone online.

My Galaxy Player 4.0 got it yesterday but my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus still haven't updated.

Assault
Apr 30, 2013, 07:01 PM
The likely reason for the delay for those outside N America is because we have seen 3 updates in the last 10 days. Started off at 4.0.25 and a couple days ago, got the final release of 4.0.27. And that should be the worldwide version.

daveathall
May 1, 2013, 10:28 AM
I got the new playstore update today Wed 01 May in Northern England. :)

MacRumorUser
May 1, 2013, 11:26 AM
I got the new playstore update today Wed 01 May in Northern England. :)

Got mine last night after the restore of the S4. Don't like it.......

daveathall
May 1, 2013, 11:35 AM
Got mine last night after the restore of the S4. Don't like it.......

My first impressions TBH are the same.

mpayne2k
May 1, 2013, 12:19 PM
I noticed the change on my Nex10 on Monday this week. I like the refreshed look, but may just be me as I never really cared for the previous set up for G-Play.

Assault
May 1, 2013, 09:54 PM
Looks like the update, install and open buttons have been enlarged? Or am I seeing things?

tjl3
May 1, 2013, 10:14 PM
Looks like the update, install and open buttons have been enlarged? Or am I seeing things?

Interesting, on my Nexus 4 they are smaller.

Does anyone know if I have to manually update the Google Play Store if I am running CM10.1 or any ROM for that matter? I flashed a new nightly but didn't install the APK, wasn't sure if it gets pushed automatically. Going to find out now, thought I'd ask here first.

Sylon
May 1, 2013, 10:36 PM
Well, now that I have the GS4, looks like I'm waiting to get the update again.

Assault
May 2, 2013, 07:47 AM
Interesting, on my Nexus 4 they are smaller.

Does anyone know if I have to manually update the Google Play Store if I am running CM10.1 or any ROM for that matter? I flashed a new nightly but didn't install the APK, wasn't sure if it gets pushed automatically. Going to find out now, thought I'd ask here first.

I have the inverted apk, like my pic above, if you prefer the dark theme. The apk will work on any device running Jelly Bean. And it is the latest 4.0.27.

tjl3
May 2, 2013, 09:09 AM
I have the inverted apk, like my pic above, if you prefer the dark theme. The apk will work on any device running Jelly Bean. And it is the latest 4.0.27.

Ya I saw all the different color schemes on the xda forums. I actually prefer the new color scheme, except the green bar up top.

I eventually just installed the Google 4.0.27 release. Too much clutter on those forums and Android Police to figure out if I will get the push automatically or not running a CM. Thanks tho.

Sylon
May 2, 2013, 09:26 PM
Well, now that I have the GS4, looks like I'm waiting to get the update again.

X that. After some fiddling with a couple of the developer options and doing a couple restarts, the new store popped up.

Just waiting on the Nexus 7 now.

Assault
May 2, 2013, 10:42 PM
Ya I saw all the different color schemes on the xda forums. I actually prefer the new color scheme, except the green bar up top.

I eventually just installed the Google 4.0.27 release. Too much clutter on those forums and Android Police to figure out if I will get the push automatically or not running a CM. Thanks tho.

I can tell you for certain that this apk on the att S3 portion of XDA does auto-update. It auto updated my inverted 4.0.26 back to regular colors on 4.0.27. Had to download the new inverted apk. Thank the gods we have XDA!

----------

X that. After some fiddling with a couple of the developer options and doing a couple restarts, the new store popped up.

Just waiting on the Nexus 7 now.

Side load the apk. Easy fix.

jamojamo
May 3, 2013, 09:30 AM
Just got it on my Nexus 7. Finally....

Tinmania
May 3, 2013, 10:29 AM
I don't really like the green either. Of course it happens to in the only two things I really use the play store for: apps and games. Really looks odd when searching and the dark gray suggestion list pops down.

Michael