Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngusB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
Washington DC
I recently ordered a couple of Apple printed books straight out of Iphoto. I was reasonably impressed but found the process lacking in a few points...

1. Only prints on one side of the paper... I made a 20 page book thinking it would be 10 total pages front and back...No my 20 page book was 20 single-sided pages and cost $60.00

2. Not enough control over fonts, text boxes and layout in the books.

I would be curious to see what other people thought of their books, and what improvements they would like to see in this part of IPhoto.

Angus

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
AngusB....

Interesting Angus... I'm curious about the mention of price... did that surprise you? I always thought it was clear what the books cost.

:cool:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I ordered one, as well, as a Christmas gift.

I too was expecting two-sided prints. And I was disappointed by the print quality in a couple of shots.

Overall though, I was pleased. In a consumer app like iPhoto you can't expect a ton of customizability, though I'd expect some good improvements in the next version.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Iphoto Books...

Originally posted by AngusB
I recently ordered a couple of Apple printed books straight out of Iphoto. I was reasonably impressed but found the process lacking in a few points...

1. Only prints on one side of the paper... I made a 20 page book thinking it would be 10 total pages front and back...No my 20 page book was 20 single-sided pages and cost $60.00

2. Not enough control over fonts, text boxes and layout in the books.

I would be curious to see what other people thought of their books, and what improvements they would like to see in this part of IPhoto.

Angus

I've only ordered one iPhoto book (of my wedding pics), but I was thrilled. The trick is to create the image you want in Photoshop - then you have total control over fonts, text, layout, etc. Then you import the image back into iPhoto. The only annoying thing here is that each picture you import is considered another "roll" in iPhoto, but oh well - the "roll" view gets cumbersome very quickly anyway. In terms of the print quality I was actually impressed - it's very cool to have a nice, glossy page coffee table book produced from my pics (with a little photoshop work).

AngusB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
Washington DC
Not surprised...

I wasn't surprised by the cost...I just think that it would be a much more used feature if it was 10 double sided pages for $30.00 (or even $40.00)

Most of my pics turned out good. A little pixelated in the print process (I used 400DPI scans for the pics) but in general very nice.

There is no reason, however, that IPhoto shouldn't allow you to edit text box sizes and font sizes. These are very basic changes that would make the program 100 times more versatile.

I am hoping for some of these changes in the next IPhoto...but if you haven't done one yet, I would at least suggest trying it out. It is a lot of fun.

Also, I ordered two books, one reg and one express. I ordered the express on Monday and it was on my doorstep Wed. Now THAT's express. The other book I ordered on Monday standard, and it is still printing...

This is one instance where the $12.00 surcharge for express really means something!

Angus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.