PDA

View Full Version : What are the shipping times after a newly announced MBA?




raevynn
Apr 10, 2013, 02:01 AM
I want to get a new MacBook Air to replace my old 2008 MacBook Pro, but naturally I would prefer to wait until the updated MBA's are annouced. According to the rumors here, an update might be announced on the Developer's Conference around June 11th. However, I need to get my MBA before July 3rd, because that's when I'll be leaving the country for my Study Abroad semester for half a year.

From your experience, what are the shipping times after a new product has been announced? Do you think it will be possible to get a new MBA before I leave?

I should also probably mention that I live in Germany. My Study Abroad semester will take place in Australia, but I don't really want to buy an MBA there because I would prefer to get a German keyboard.



Mrbobb
Apr 10, 2013, 02:30 AM
With a rush purchase like that, u run into the risk that, if something is wrong, you may not have time to deal with it, even if u can take it into an Australian Apple store.

TC25
Apr 10, 2013, 03:16 AM
From your experience, what are the shipping times after a new product has been announced?
It varies. Sometimes they're available for immediate ordering, sometimes immediate delivery. Sometimes it's a week or more.

Do you think it will be possible to get a new MBA before I leave?
No.

Lastly, hilarious post. All your planning is based on a rumor by the uninformed guessers on MacRumors.

If you need a new laptop, buy one now and don't base any decisions on when people on MR think the next MBA will be announced.

DisplacedMic
Apr 10, 2013, 10:55 AM
that's going to be a stretch if it's announced on 6/11 and you need it by 7/3. doesn't sound like you need it now, so why not just wait and see?

wolfpuppies3
Apr 10, 2013, 12:13 PM
+1 to TC25. If you need it and can afford it, buy it. Don't bet anything on rumored availability dates. Most of those guesses are incorrect, especially this far out.

xShane
Apr 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
I want to get a new MacBook Air to replace my old 2008 MacBook Pro, but naturally I would prefer to wait until the updated MBA's are annouced. According to the rumors here, an update might be announced on the Developer's Conference around June 11th. However, I need to get my MBA before July 3rd, because that's when I'll be leaving the country for my Study Abroad semester for half a year.

From your experience, what are the shipping times after a new product has been announced? Do you think it will be possible to get a new MBA before I leave?

I should also probably mention that I live in Germany. My Study Abroad semester will take place in Australia, but I don't really want to buy an MBA there because I would prefer to get a German keyboard.

+1 to TC25. If you need it and can afford it, buy it. Don't bet anything on rumored availability dates. Most of those guesses are incorrect, especially this far out.

I agree. It's a very real possibility the refresh might not be released in time and you'll be screwed.

DisplacedMic
Apr 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
I agree. It's a very real possibility the refresh might not be released in time and you'll be screwed.

at the same time, the longer you wait the better the price you can get on the used machines that people might dump looking to upgrade.

i agree that it's a bad idea to wait just to see if it comes out, but at the same time if you don't need it know (which it doesn't sound like he does) why not wait and see?

Just set a deadline - if nothing comes out by whatever date you feel comfortable making your purchase to ensure it arrives on time then make your choice accordingly.

Do note that Apple sometimes slows production of various items right before a new upgrade so do wach the lead times - but i don't think you'll have any problems with a MBA.

xShane
Apr 10, 2013, 01:21 PM
at the same time, the longer you wait the better the price you can get on the used machines that people might dump looking to upgrade.

i agree that it's a bad idea to wait just to see if it comes out, but at the same time if you don't need it know (which it doesn't sound like he does) why not wait and see?

Just set a deadline - if nothing comes out by whatever date you feel comfortable making your purchase to ensure it arrives on time then make your choice accordingly.

Do note that Apple sometimes slows production of various items right before a new upgrade so do wach the lead times - but i don't think you'll have any problems with a MBA.

Yes, I agree if he doesn't need it now, then he can wait. But it sounded like he wanted a new machine before he travels so he can get a German keyboard.

I definitely agree with the deadline idea though.

madsci954
Apr 10, 2013, 02:35 PM
Too many variables, just get the 2012 model.

DisplacedMic
Apr 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
Yes, I agree if he doesn't need it now, then he can wait. But it sounded like he wanted a new machine before he travels so he can get a German keyboard.

I definitely agree with the deadline idea though.

shows my reading comprehension - i didn't even notice the bit about Germany
but yeah - i think we are in agreement.

this lucky SOB gets to go live in Australia for 6 months - i hope a dingo eats his laptop
;-p

xShane
Apr 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
shows my reading comprehension - i didn't even notice the bit about Germany
but yeah - i think we are in agreement.

this lucky SOB gets to go live in Australia for 6 months - i hope a dingo eats his laptop
;-p

Although another option is for him to buy the refresh online from Apple's German store and have it shipped to him in Australia.

DisplacedMic
Apr 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
Although another option is for him to buy the refresh online from Apple's German store and have it shipped to him in Australia.

$$$