PDA

View Full Version : Question about OS X permissions

alec6542
Apr 10, 2013, 02:16 AM
Hi guys,

I have a question about permissions in OS X. As you probably know, if you have several users in /Users for a given OS X partition, the default permissions is set in such a way that if you view someone else's home directory from Finder, the contents are marked with red "no access" badges, even if you're an admin. (Yes, I know you can change this from Get Info, but that's not what I'm getting at). I notice if you view someone's home directory not from within the same partition, but from a separate volume, mounted either externally or internally, anyone (even "standard" users), can read (and I believe also write) your data! My question basically is: Even if you have a login password, does this mean that if someone steals your Macbook Pro, they can simply mount the internal hard drive (by taking it out and mounting it externally or perhaps as a target disk), and get all your data anyways? I'm not a fan of filevault, but if my suspicion is right I take it encryption is a must?

benwiggy
Apr 10, 2013, 02:39 AM
You can retain user permissions on other volumes, so that one user doesn't have access to another's folders.

But generally, physical access to the computer trumps all security, with the exception of disk encryption.

As for disk encryption, there's a well known method for getting round that.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/security.png