PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing login items

badman89
Apr 10, 2013, 06:16 AM
I'm facing a rather frustrating problem that I am unable to diagnose. My login items list keeps changing randomly when I shut down / restart my computer. Specifically the app "Bettertouchtool" keeps disappearing from the list while "iTuneshelper" keeps appearing on this list no matter how many times I change it.

Thanks very much in advance to anybody who can diagnose this problem for me.

GGJstudios
Apr 10, 2013, 11:17 AM
There are more places to look for apps that launch on startup:

Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:

System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
(Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

/Library/LaunchAgents/
(Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

~/Library/LaunchAgents/
(Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

/Library/StartupItems/

badman89
Apr 10, 2013, 11:42 AM
There are more places to look for apps that launch on startup:

Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:

System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
(Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

Yes, this is procedure I normally follow to add / delete login items. The problem I'm trying to point out is that this list is changing automatically when I shut down / restart the computer.

/Library/LaunchAgents/

/Library/StartupItems/

These folders are empty!

~/Library/LaunchAgents/

This folder has a couple of items, but these are unrelated to the problem at hand.

GGJstudios
Apr 10, 2013, 11:48 AM
Yes, this is procedure I normally follow to add / delete login items. The problem I'm trying to point out is that this list is changing automatically when I shut down / restart the computer.

These folders are empty!
The last post here may help: iTunesHelper keeps appearing in Login Items (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1429456)
As for BTT, check the preferences in the app.

badman89
Apr 10, 2013, 11:49 AM
The last post here may help: iTunesHelper keeps appearing in Login Items (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1429456)
As for BTT, check the preferences in the app.

Thanks so much! I just checked the preferences for BTT and it is not set to launch at startup. I didn't realize that it could automatically remove itself from my login items.

aarseth
Feb 24, 2014, 06:24 PM
Yes, the same thing has been happening to me. I believe it happened to me with Lion, then with Mountain Lion, and now again with Mavericks. It's not EVERY time I restart my Mac, but often enough that it is annoying.

Any solutions?