Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I'm facing a rather frustrating problem that I am unable to diagnose. My login items list keeps changing randomly when I shut down / restart my computer. Specifically the app "Bettertouchtool" keeps disappearing from the list while "iTuneshelper" keeps appearing on this list no matter how many times I change it.

Thanks very much in advance to anybody who can diagnose this problem for me.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There are more places to look for apps that launch on startup:

Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• /Library/StartupItems/

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
There are more places to look for apps that launch on startup:

Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

Yes, this is procedure I normally follow to add / delete login items. The problem I'm trying to point out is that this list is changing automatically when I shut down / restart the computer.

• /Library/LaunchAgents/

• /Library/StartupItems/

These folders are empty!

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/

This folder has a couple of items, but these are unrelated to the problem at hand.

aarseth

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Yes, the same thing has been happening to me. I believe it happened to me with Lion, then with Mountain Lion, and now again with Mavericks. It's not EVERY time I restart my Mac, but often enough that it is annoying.

Any solutions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.