Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French site Noweherelse.fr has discovered [Google translation] a pair of photos of what is said to be the front bezel of the fifth-generation iPad. In line with rumors and earlier leaks of cases and a rear shell, the new photos reveal a design inspired by the iPad mini, with narrower side bezels rather than the uniform size seen on the current iPad.

ipad_5_bezel_1.jpg

Sources appear to be split on when the fifth-generation iPad will make its debut, with some having suggested that Apple could hold an event as early as this month if the device is ready, while others have claimed that Apple is shooting for an October release. Just yesterday, Digitimes claimed that Apple is planning to ramp up production for the new iPad in the July/August timeframe.

ipad_5_bezel_2.jpg

Back in February, we commissioned CiccareseDesign to create renderings of the fifth-generation iPad based on circulating rumors and leaks, and today's front bezel photos are indeed consistent with those renderings.

Article Link: Alleged iPad 5 Front Bezel Photos Show Narrower iPad Mini-Like Sides

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not bad at all. I've never been bothered by the bezel and I find it great for holding it while on a plane and such, but this wouldn't be a bad design. It should cut the weight too.

Baumpie

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Wow.. Innovation it is! ;-)

On topic: I'd prolly buy it, although I love my iPad mini.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
And how do I know that this is actually not an iPad mini in the hands of a dwarf??

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Hrm.. what happens when you want to hold it in portrait mode without smudging fingers on the screen and/or preventing intended gestures? The narrower rims work on the iPad mini because you hold the back of it with one hand, but that doesn't work with the full-sized iPad unless you have very big paws..

Ooks

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
Tiny thumbs

I hope that this isn't the real iPad 5 design. The mini is fine with a small bezel because it is small and light, but you need some space to hold onto the big iPad. I foresee much more inadvertent pinch-zooming with this design.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Hrm.. what happens when you want to hold it in portrait mode without smudging fingers on the screen and/or preventing intended gestures? The narrower rims work on the iPad mini because you hold the back of it with one hand, but that doesn't work with the full-sized iPad unless you have very big paws..

I think it's expected to be significantly lighter. Notice too that the side bezel isn't as thin as the iPad Mini.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Nice, this is what I've been wanting. If there are this many parts leaking out, it will probably debut sooner rather than later. iPad 3 was released in April....

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there

The software (iOS) takes care of detecting accidental taps ... With the iPad mini I had the same worry first, but it works great, I never had any accidental taps or false alarms for real taps. I wouldn't expect the bigger form factor of the iPad 5 to be an issue.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I was hoping the bezel would be a little thinner on the top and bottom...

I am honesty hoping for a touch sensitive bezel, where the home button 'moves' depending on the orientation - that way I would stop trying to press the camera instead of the home button if I have the device up side down (I really don't want to care about where the 'top' or 'bottom' is .... you probably still need the physical on/off button to reset frozen devices, but everything else should be on the touch bezel and 'move' with the orientation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.