PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 | Not freezing anymore!

rjcalifornia
Apr 10, 2013, 10:58 AM
Just wanna say thanks to all of you who helped my in time of crisis. My ibook G4 is now up and running, with a 60 GB HDD, Leopard and out of the blue, it is not freezing anymore while using the Airport Extreme Card. Apparently when I opened up the ibook G4 to install the hard drive, the problem disappeared but I didn't know till today when I decided to give it one last try before getting a usb wifi adapter.

Thanks for the help!

PowerPC till it last or any Chinese company decides to manufacture laptops with PowerPC processors!

skateny
Apr 10, 2013, 12:03 PM
Just wanna say thanks to all of you who helped my in time of crisis. My ibook G4 is now up and running, with a 60 GB HDD, Leopard and out of the blue, it is not freezing anymore while using the Airport Extreme Card. Apparently when I opened up the ibook G4 to install the hard drive, the problem disappeared but I didn't know till today when I decided to give it one last try before getting a usb wifi adapter.

Thanks for the help!

PowerPC till it last or any Chinese company decides to manufacture laptops with PowerPC processors!

That's great news, and I'm glad it's working properly.

A word of caution: Before I knew what the problem was, I was getting intermittent kernel panics due to AirPort on my iBook. It happened so infrequently, and a restart usually took care of the problem, that I didn't think much of it.

When the problem became a chronic one, I Googled the problem and found links for the solution.

Though it may not ever become a chronic problem for you, USB WiFi signal boosters are so cheap that it might be wise to invest in one in the event that the problem is no longer serviceable. When the I finally got the signal booster, it was immediately obvious that I got a much more powerful and more consistent WiFi connection than I'd been getting with AirPort, both at home and on the road.

rjcalifornia
Apr 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
That's great news, and I'm glad it's working properly.

A word of caution: Before I knew what the problem was, I was getting intermittent kernel panics due to AirPort on my iBook. It happened so infrequently, and a restart usually took care of the problem, that I didn't think much of it.

When the problem became a chronic one, I Googled the problem and found links for the solution.

Though it may not ever become a chronic problem for you, USB WiFi signal boosters are so cheap that it might be wise to invest in one in the event that the problem is no longer serviceable. When the I finally got the signal booster, it was immediately obvious that I got a much more powerful and more consistent WiFi connection than I'd been getting with AirPort, both at home and on the road.

Actually that's what it used to happen. Constant restarts, kernel panics until I took it out. I decided to give a last try after I changed the HDD and I can walk around with the ibook with no issues.

I am thinking in getting a USB Wifi booster, but I don't know yet. I am actually glad, since I really need it this month for work.