PDA

View Full Version : Noises from my laptop?

luna crescent
Oct 23, 2005, 08:59 PM
My ibook g3 just came back from Apple, sporting a new logic board and new hard drive. I thought my computer was fixed so I started using it during the weekend. However, I noticed that my computer would make a humming and sometimes a screeching noise. When the noise got too loud, my computer would freeze for 5 minutes and return back to normal with the humming noises again.

Before you accuse me of abusing my computer and committing fraud, I never did anything that would harm the computer since it was repaired from apple 2 days ago. All I did was go on the internet, check my email, play some low end games, and type my essays.

I'm assuming this is a harddrive problem but how can that be if my hard drive was replaced?

mikemodena
Oct 23, 2005, 09:17 PM
They could have replaced it with a faulty HD.. Call them back and ask them about it. You'll probably have to send it back in.

mpopkin
Oct 23, 2005, 09:40 PM
why would they replace the hard drive, did u send it in for applecare? or for the logic board update program? if it was for apple care than it might have bee a faulty hard drive, but if it was the logic board problem they should not have replaced the hard drive and that is a bad drive to start with, you might want to run a hardware test on ur machine first though
good luck

My ibook g3 just came back from Apple, sporting a new logic board and new hard drive. I thought my computer was fixed so I started using it during the weekend. However, I noticed that my computer would make a humming and sometimes a screeching noise. When the noise got too loud, my computer would freeze for 5 minutes and return back to normal with the humming noises again.

Before you accuse me of abusing my computer and committing fraud, I never did anything that would harm the computer since it was repaired from apple 2 days ago. All I did was go on the internet, check my email, play some low end games, and type my essays.

I'm assuming this is a harddrive problem but how can that be if my hard drive was replaced?

luna crescent
Oct 24, 2005, 12:06 AM
How would I run a hardware test?

Btw my school sent it in for hard drive failure and a faulty logic board.

mrichmon
Oct 24, 2005, 12:31 AM
How would I run a hardware test?

Btw my school sent it in for hard drive failure and a faulty logic board.

A hardware test CD is shipped witht he machine, just boot off this CD. However, a hardware test will not always identify failing hard drives if the failure is due to the motor or bearings.

Based on the information you provided, my guess would be that Apple replaced the logic board but forgot to replace the drive.

luna crescent
Oct 24, 2005, 12:46 AM
Well my computer is still working ok so I will wait until more problems arise.

luna crescent
Oct 24, 2005, 06:19 PM
Well the problems arose faster than I expected. I opened my computer to do an in class essay for class and suddenly my computer roared. The humming sound suddenly became a loud screech (think a dying chicken) and then I had the infamous screen death. Then my computer had a blackout and the computer's temperature started to increase rapidly. I sent it immediately to Apple (through my school).

What exactly happened to my computer?

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 06:24 PM
Well the problems arose faster than I expected. I opened my computer to do an in class essay for class and suddenly my computer roared. The humming sound suddenly became a loud screech (think a dying chicken) and then I had the infamous screen death. Then my computer had a blackout and the computer's temperature started to increase rapidly. I sent it immediately to Apple (through my school).

What exactly happened to my computer?

The screeching sounds like a bad HD.
It's a HORRIBLE noise.

I don't know what happened, so I'm just gonna say it asploded.

Hey, you may get lucky and get a new G4! :p

luna crescent
Oct 26, 2005, 12:59 AM
I gave my computer to my technology director. He was at first suspicious because it had only been two days since it was repaired. He said that my computer was literally a new computer. :rolleyes:

He couldn't find any abuse whatsoever so he reluctantly sent it to Apple. I'm pretty sure I can a new ibook g4. Alright!:p