Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamim1004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Stillwater, OK
Hi All, I am new here. I bought an open-box mba 2012 13 inch from macmall (1.8ghz i5, 8gb, 128gb) for $1000. It came today, opened it up, box showing sign of being opened up before. But, the mba shows nothing. 0 cycle count on battery. Checked the usb and headphone ports, charger.
I checked apple warranty coverage and it shows it has coverage till March 12, 2014.
Pretty dumb question, but I don't know much about this. So if you guys could give me any suggestion, I will be very happy. Do I need to check anything else? Do I have to check with apple if I am really going to get the 1-year warranty (I have heard open box items are not covered)?

Apple warranty check-

Valid Purchase Date
Telephone Technical Support: Active
Estimated Expiration Date: June 11, 2013
Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Estimated Expiration Date: March 12, 2014
Eligible for the AppleCare Protection Plan

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If it makes you feel better, call Apple. IIRC, your warranty should start on your date of purchase, not the other date of purchase.

hamim1004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Stillwater, OK
When in doubt, get Apple Care. Apple won't have any questions if you have Apple Care on your laptop.
I will get the applecare eventually.
If it makes you feel better, call Apple. IIRC, your warranty should start on your date of purchase, not the other date of purchase.
I think you are right when you are buying it new.
In case of open-box, the person who bought is first may have registered the device with apple(That's what I am guessing).

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Congrats on not getting ripped off by MacMall!

As others have noted, your 1 year warranty begins with the date of purchase, so if it took a week to get to you, you have 51 weeks left of coverage...

Again, you have until the end of the year to buy the extended warranty. If you don't buy it before the end of the year, you are outta luck.

B&H photo usually has the best price on extended warranties for all Mac's, when your wallet isn't hurting anymore, check them out.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Call Apple, tell them when you bought it, they will log it in their system for you.

Thats what I did. I just bought a 2012 13" MBA refurb, I bought it march 27th, they had it as march 15th, no biggie but they changed to the 27th.

hamim1004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Stillwater, OK
Congrats on not getting ripped off by MacMall!

As others have noted, your 1 year warranty begins with the date of purchase, so if it took a week to get to you, you have 51 weeks left of coverage...

Again, you have until the end of the year to buy the extended warranty. If you don't buy it before the end of the year, you are outta luck.

B&H photo usually has the best price on extended warranties for all Mac's, when your wallet isn't hurting anymore, check them out.

Is MacMall that bad? This is my first experience with them.

Call Apple, tell them when you bought it, they will log it in their system for you.

Thats what I did. I just bought a 2012 13" MBA refurb, I bought it march 27th, they had it as march 15th, no biggie but they changed to the 27th.

Thanks for the info. I will try it. 1-month no biggie, but still, doesn't hurt trying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.