PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini as a server?

Dark
Oct 23, 2005, 11:21 PM
Okay, im 15 and Ive really been interested in computers most of my life, I recently just switched over from windows to mac and im never turning back. I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini and turning it into a server so I can host vids and pics and stuff. I know you need to do something with Apache, but sow would I go about doing things? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

MacFan25863
Oct 23, 2005, 11:35 PM
Okay, im 15 and Ive really been interested in computers most of my life, I recently just switched over from windows to mac and im never turning back. I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini and turning it into a server so I can host vids and pics and stuff. I know you need to do something with Apache, but sow would I go about doing things? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

First thing you need to worry about is your connection. If you are on Dial-up, forget doing anything locally. With Broadband, you will need to set up an IP and domain.

I recommend going to a remote server such as Dreamhost or iPowerweb and using them. Faster, more reliable, and cheeper than buying a Mac Mini and using that.

crazzyeddie
Oct 23, 2005, 11:40 PM
Most ISPs (DSL, cable) will not let you run a server off the connection unless you buy their Business Class service. That said, you can usually get away with hosting a small amount of files and using one of the free URL redirects (http://blah.kicks-ass.net, or something similar).

cjc343
Oct 24, 2005, 12:31 AM
I run an Apache server off of my powerbook...

I believe all Apple computers come preinstalled with a version of Apache, all I know, is I upgraded it, along with installing PHP and a MySQL Database.

If you know what you are doing, it's not too hard, otherwise, you could run into a bunch of problems...

You'll probably also need to set up Port Forwarding along with a no-ip.com or dyndns.org account.

For prepackaged software installations, I recommend:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/

Good Luck!

Dark
Oct 24, 2005, 10:47 PM
First off, thanks alot for all the help. Alright well im messing around with it on my iMac for now. I made an account on no-ip.com and turned on FTP Acess on my computer. , but when i type in the adress i made it brings me to my router setup....so i deleted that host setup. Im assuming this means i need to foward some ports, any ideas?

cjc343
Oct 25, 2005, 12:17 AM
How you set up Port Forwarding depends on your router, although the fact that it sends you to your router setup suggests that the no-ip client isn't configured correctly... you might want to double check and make sure it is the same as whatismyip.com

FTP: I'd recommend PureFTPD over the built-in ftp support:

http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/

toothpaste
Oct 25, 2005, 12:31 AM
First off, thanks alot for all the help. Alright well im messing around with it on my iMac for now. I made an account on no-ip.com and turned on FTP Acess on my computer. , but when i type in the adress i made it brings me to my router setup....so i deleted that host setup. Im assuming this means i need to foward some ports, any ideas?

So if I understand you correctly; you made an account with no-ip.com and have an FTP, when you type the address it brings you to your router?

Yes because that's what you wanted didn't you? The no-ip.com account is pointing all traffic to where you told it to, your machine at home hence your router.

cjc343
Oct 25, 2005, 12:39 AM
Unless it's one ********* up router, you should never be able to access the config from an address outside the network, and typing in the IP address for your network even when done from inside is pretty much just that...

strydr
Oct 25, 2005, 01:40 AM
Unless it's one ********* up router, you should never be able to access the config from an address outside the network

most routers allow you to enable outside management. It's not a great idea, but usefull if you need it.