Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Okay, im 15 and Ive really been interested in computers most of my life, I recently just switched over from windows to mac and im never turning back. I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini and turning it into a server so I can host vids and pics and stuff. I know you need to do something with Apache, but sow would I go about doing things? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Dark said:
Okay, im 15 and Ive really been interested in computers most of my life, I recently just switched over from windows to mac and im never turning back. I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini and turning it into a server so I can host vids and pics and stuff. I know you need to do something with Apache, but sow would I go about doing things? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

First thing you need to worry about is your connection. If you are on Dial-up, forget doing anything locally. With Broadband, you will need to set up an IP and domain.

I recommend going to a remote server such as Dreamhost or iPowerweb and using them. Faster, more reliable, and cheeper than buying a Mac Mini and using that.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Most ISPs (DSL, cable) will not let you run a server off the connection unless you buy their Business Class service. That said, you can usually get away with hosting a small amount of files and using one of the free URL redirects (http://blah.kicks-ass.net, or something similar).

cjc343

macrumors 6502
I run an Apache server off of my powerbook...

I believe all Apple computers come preinstalled with a version of Apache, all I know, is I upgraded it, along with installing PHP and a MySQL Database.

If you know what you are doing, it's not too hard, otherwise, you could run into a bunch of problems...

You'll probably also need to set up Port Forwarding along with a no-ip.com or dyndns.org account.

For prepackaged software installations, I recommend:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/

Good Luck!

Dark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
First off, thanks alot for all the help. Alright well im messing around with it on my iMac for now. I made an account on no-ip.com and turned on FTP Acess on my computer. , but when i type in the adress i made it brings me to my router setup....so i deleted that host setup. Im assuming this means i need to foward some ports, any ideas?

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Dark said:
First off, thanks alot for all the help. Alright well im messing around with it on my iMac for now. I made an account on no-ip.com and turned on FTP Acess on my computer. , but when i type in the adress i made it brings me to my router setup....so i deleted that host setup. Im assuming this means i need to foward some ports, any ideas?

So if I understand you correctly; you made an account with no-ip.com and have an FTP, when you type the address it brings you to your router?

Yes because that's what you wanted didn't you? The no-ip.com account is pointing all traffic to where you told it to, your machine at home hence your router.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
cjc343 said:
Unless it's one F***ed up router, you should never be able to access the config from an address outside the network

most routers allow you to enable outside management. It's not a great idea, but usefull if you need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.