PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Competitive Landscape (my thoughts)

lawhochun
Apr 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
I don't know if this is the right forum for this topic, but I cant find a general Apple discussion forum...

As a long time Apple fan, I have great faith in Apple that it is still the most innovative and cool tech company in the world..but I hate to say it...while companies like Google are doing so much innovation, we seems to be standing still for the past 1-2 years.

As an example - I rarely look at Google's news but recently I checked out Google Fiber as a matter of interest. Some people may call it irrelevant, insignificant...but the way I look at it is this vision makes so much sense. What a great way allow users to get the best experience using Google products and services when you have super fast internet to access google cloud services (as google is essentially all cloud). As the future of technology are all based on the cloud, having a stable and super fast internet connection is the single most important factor to enable this change, its so important. and the TV option is looking very attractive as well, isnt that we are looking for in an Apple Television(except the actual TV hardware)? And the rumors on Google babel...it sounds like a killer communication platform if it is true...

Google used to be very fragmented with a diversed product portfolio, now they seem to be combining different products into products that makes a lot of sense.

I really hope Apple will prove me wrong that they are secretly baking a lots of exciting stuff that we just dont know of. One thing I am really looking forward to is iOS7, I reckon it will be very crucial, make-or-break moment for Apple. iOS has been essentially unchanged through the years...if iOS is standing still...I am afraid we will lose a lot of iPhone sales....especially when you are start seeing competitive phones on the market nowadays e.g. HTC one, nexus 4 etc..

We have the best hard hardware without a doubt, but we seems to be losing grip on the software and services side, most of all, innovation.

This post is by no means a dissatisfying post about Apple, but I would love to hear about what your opinions are on Apple's competitive landscape.

Best.

A Hebrew
Apr 14, 2013, 05:49 PM
When did apple ever have the best software around, other than the iOS for the first few years it was around? Apple is a hardware company, the software is only complimentary of the hardware.

As for innovation, the word is thrown around too much. That is all.

tmanto02
Apr 14, 2013, 05:58 PM
I also hope that iOS 7 is massive, but I also feel that Apple is now in the habit of just playing it safe. They are afraid of changing too dramatically.

However Apple losing marketshare could be a good thing for its users long term - great innovation comes from tough competition. I would prefer a slightly smaller Apple producing better products.

macalec
Apr 14, 2013, 06:12 PM
I also hope that iOS 7 is massive, but I also feel that Apple is now in the habit of just playing it safe. They are afraid of changing too dramatically.

However Apple losing marketshare could be a good thing for its users long term - great innovation comes from tough competition. I would prefer a slightly smaller Apple producing better products.

I agree with what everyone said. I too think that the new features, overhauls have stopped. I hope that they get their act together and put something out new and revolutionary--- not just innovative and evolutionary.

In addition I see some comparisons from this period and in the late 80's and 90's. Google is the microsoft of phones- as they license out their OS.

Lets wait and see what happens...

tmanto02
Apr 14, 2013, 06:28 PM
I agree with what everyone said. I too think that the new features, overhauls have stopped. I hope that they get their act together and put something out new and revolutionary--- not just innovative and evolutionary.

In addition I see some comparisons from this period and in the late 80's and 90's. Google is the microsoft of phones- as they license out their OS.

Lets wait and see what happens...

I'd like to add though - on the Mac side of the business they are the absolute leading edge. The MacBook Pro with Retina display is the best computer ever made (IMO of course)!