PDA

View Full Version : Verizon CEO Claims He Convinced Steve Jobs to Add LTE to iPhone

MacRumors
Apr 10, 2013, 10:51 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/10/verizon-ceo-claims-he-convinced-steve-jobs-to-add-lte-to-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/09/Verizon-Wireless-LTE.jpgFierce Wireless reports (http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-ceo-50-our-wireless-traffic-video/2013-04-10?utm_source=rss) that while discussing Verizon's LTE investment at the National Association of Broadcasters conference yesterday, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam claimed that he convinced Steve Jobs to add LTE to the iPhone."I was really trying to sell him and he sat there without any reaction. Finally, he said, 'Enough. You had me at 10 Mbps. I know you can stream video at 10 Mbps.' And Apple's next phone was LTE," McAdam said.McAdam did not indicate the timing of his conversation with Jobs or whether he was CEO at the time, but he was appointed (http://about.verizon.com/index.php/about/leadership-team/mcadam) Verizon CEO in August 2011. The next iPhone released was the iPhone 4S, which did not include LTE.

In April 2011, Tim Cook had said (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/20/apple-on-android-fragmentation-lte-steve-jobs-involvement/) that LTE chipsets at that point in time forced Apple to make design compromises the company wasn't willing to make. Two of those design compromises were likely battery life, as LTE chipsets consumed a lot of power at the time, and size, as the need for multiple chips required more space than Apple was willing to dedicate inside the device.

Months later, in August 2011, it was reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/21/apple-testing-lte-in-ios-5-and-hiring-more-lte-engineers/) that Apple was testing an LTE-enabled iPhone and was hiring additional LTE engineers with the first LTE iPhone arriving as the iPhone 5 in September 2012.

At yesterday's session, McAdam also claimed that half of wireless data traffic is now video, predicting that two-thirds of Verizon's network capacity will be used for video by 2017.

Article Link: Verizon CEO Claims He Convinced Steve Jobs to Add LTE to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/10/verizon-ceo-claims-he-convinced-steve-jobs-to-add-lte-to-iphone/)

komodrone
Apr 10, 2013, 10:52 PM
in a way, Steve convinced Verizon to convince Steve to add LTE to iPhone.

http://khalifafilardha.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/inceptionmeme-airplane-hayley-williams-inception-2010-14805490-771-1280.jpg

Radio
Apr 10, 2013, 10:56 PM
It's amazing what you can claim when your only source is 6 feet under.

daneoni
Apr 10, 2013, 10:57 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000662593/polls_Want_A_Cookie_2439_236871_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Z400Racer37
Apr 10, 2013, 11:02 PM

Image (http://khalifafilardha.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/inceptionmeme-airplane-hayley-williams-inception-2010-14805490-771-1280.jpg)

lmao awesome
xD

gatearray
Apr 10, 2013, 11:08 PM
wow, thanks Verizon d-bag! you're such a visionary, if it wasn't for you, Steve was going to insist on sticking with EDGE.

mrsir2009
Apr 10, 2013, 11:09 PM
...Because it couldn't be a combination of all the carriers that caused the iPhone 5 to be LTE...

SILen(e
Apr 10, 2013, 11:12 PM
Apple never said that no iPhone ever would get LTE - why the iPhone 4/4S had no LTE was because of the chipsets required for LTE at that time, which had a very high power drain (i remember a review of some HTC LTE device which drained the battery while navigating with LTE - while plugged in to a car charger!).

It was obvious that at some time this problem would be solved - et voila - iPhone 5!

John.B
Apr 10, 2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah, the Qualcomm MDM9615M chip had nothing to do with it...

scaredpoet
Apr 10, 2013, 11:20 PM
Next: Lowell McAdam will claim that the iPhone was really his idea. And he convinced Steve to sell it on AT&T first to convince AT&T to get rid of unlimited data, thereby giving Verizon no choice but to follow suit. :)

Matthew567
Apr 10, 2013, 11:35 PM
So when did these discussions take place? The day of Steve Jobs' death? As it says in the article the iPhone 4S did not include LTE, and Steve Jobs died the day after the iPhone 4S launch. It doesn't seem right because it says "And Apple's next phone was LTE." Presumably the discussions occurred when the iPhone 4 was current.

nagromme
Apr 10, 2013, 11:54 PM
I always wondered where the idea came from to have mobile phones use mobile technology! Now we know!

macs4nw
Apr 11, 2013, 12:24 AM
It's amazing what you can claim when your only source is 6 feet under.

Image (http://khalifafilardha.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/inceptionmeme-airplane-hayley-williams-inception-2010-14805490-771-1280.jpg)

wow, thanks Verizon d-bag! you're such a visionary, if it wasn't for you, Steve was going to insist on sticking with EDGE.

Yeah, the Qualcomm MDM9615M chip had nothing to do with it...

Next: Lowell McAdam will claim that the iPhone was really his idea. And he convinced Steve to sell it on AT&T first to convince AT&T to get rid of unlimited data, thereby giving Verizon no choice but to follow suit. :)

So when did these discussions take place? The day of Steve Jobs' death? As it says in the article the iPhone 4S did not include LTE, and Steve Jobs died the day after the iPhone 4S launch. It doesn't seem right because it says "And Apple's next phone was LTE." Presumably the discussions occurred when the iPhone 4 was current.

I always wondered where the idea came from to have mobile phones use mobile technology! Now we know!

Color me a (huge) sceptic too.

mariusaz
Apr 11, 2013, 12:40 AM
I essentially have no use for it considering how much battery it uses and the fact that I can't tether a machine to it unless I switch off the unlimited data on AT&T and pay some BS convenience fee for it.

the8thark
Apr 11, 2013, 01:10 AM
Color me a (huge) sceptic too.

I have to agree here too. Sounds like this Verizon CEO is talking BS out of his ass here.

Bako-MacAddict
Apr 11, 2013, 03:00 AM
Lol. "Of course he did."

RoastingPig
Apr 11, 2013, 03:17 AM
haha sure he did

TheRainKing
Apr 11, 2013, 03:54 AM
Lowell McAdam is a true visionary.

AppleFanatic10
Apr 11, 2013, 04:45 AM
Right.....:rolleyes:

Jayse
Apr 11, 2013, 04:48 AM
Give that guy a medal. I really deserves it! /sarcasm

iBug2
Apr 11, 2013, 05:38 AM
So when did these discussions take place? The day of Steve Jobs' death? As it says in the article the iPhone 4S did not include LTE, and Steve Jobs died the day after the iPhone 4S launch. It doesn't seem right because it says "And Apple's next phone was LTE." Presumably the discussions occurred when the iPhone 4 was current. Yeah because adding LTE to iPhone 5 was not decided years ago from release.

vmachiel
Apr 11, 2013, 05:49 AM
Sure, the CEO of the worst phone company that I know of, convinced a man who was known to see that bigger picture to add a feature to the iPhone.

MacDav
Apr 11, 2013, 06:10 AM
Well, I for one totally believe McAdams...:rolleyes: Apple would never have added LTE to iPhone without his input. :rolleyes:

inlinevolvo
Apr 11, 2013, 06:50 AM
I don't think he is taking credit for LTE iphone but we all know apple was hesitant to switch until the technology could at least walk on 2 feet. I think his role was one of convincing Steve that the technology had matured enough for Apple to jump on board.

Verizon is the biggest US carrier and they were the ones first approached by Apple for the iphone. In other words, they carry some weight and credibility in the industry. After all the iphone is as good as the network it is on.

----------

Haha, very good. Post of the day!

Arcady
Apr 11, 2013, 07:06 AM
Apple offered the original iPhone to Verizon, but they turned it down because of Apple's insistence on control of the device for updates, the need for visual voicemail, and the lack of carrier branding on the device.

So Apple went to Cingular, which became AT&T by the time the phone was released.

Verizon came crawling to Apple by the time they realized their mistake.

Chupa Chupa
Apr 11, 2013, 07:16 AM
I'm sure he did in the same way the a healthy brain convinces us to eat... rather inevitable.

lazyrighteye
Apr 11, 2013, 08:05 AM
Turns out, this guy's no slouch. He had a brunch with Al Gore and 6 months later - BOOM - the internet.

Xenomorph
Apr 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
This is all false. **I** am the one that (personally) convinced Steve Jobs to use LTE.

HangmanSwingset
Apr 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
I myself don't much see the point of LTE. I stream Netflix fine on 3G, and GOD FORBID if Facebook takes longer than 5 seconds to load. Plus T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 is a bit faster than -most- of the [other carriers'] LTE speed tests I've seen. It's REALLY nice for CDMA carriers though.

Not saying that it isn't the way of the future though. I'd LOVE it myself (Once T-Mobile rolls it out and I get ahold of an iPhone 5...), but when I hear someone saying "I love this phone, but I don't want it because it doesn't have LTE and 3G sucks", my knuckles turn white.

/rant

foodog
Apr 11, 2013, 09:20 AM
I convinced him to make the iPhone

Plutonius
Apr 11, 2013, 09:27 AM
and Al Gore invented the internet :D.

Pirate515
Apr 11, 2013, 09:39 AM
Verizon came crawling to Apple by the time they realized their mistake.I wouldn't call it "crawling back", I'm pretty sure Verizon would still be around even if they didn't carry iPhone as of today. IMO, both saw an opportunity to make more money and finally took it.

On Verizon's side, with amount of iPhone fanboys getting increasingly unhappy with AT&T, Verizon knew that they would be able to get at least some of them to switch. Maybe not immediately as people were under contracts, but eventually they would get some former AT&T customers. I am one of those and could not be happier that I made the switch.

Apple knew that their US sales would not increase if they continued sticking with one carrier (AT&T). They also knew that there was a considerable number of Verizon fanboys who were holding out on iPhone as they were refusing to switch to AT&T, especially in light of all the complaints. Not to mention that in many European countries they were already selling iPhones on multiple carriers, although with most of Europe being GSM it was a lot easier to do and did not require a separate model.

At the end of the day, I would say that both Apple and Verizon both saw benefits of doing business together and finally put their "differences" aside and seized the opportunity.

redhawk87
Apr 11, 2013, 09:46 AM
lol! While this may of actually happened as he describes, its completely meaningless. Steve Jobs had his own agenda as I am sure this guy had his own too. Im sure Steve did not learn anything new about LTE from this guy and had already made up his mind about LTE before the meeting. Its hard for me to believe Steve did not know the download speeds of LTE (or at least a ballpark as im sure each carrier has slight variations in speed) before this meeting.

GenesisST
Apr 11, 2013, 10:09 AM
I have to agree here too. Sounds like this Verizon CEO is talking BS out of his ass here.

That's why he's an "executive"!

Gasu E.
Apr 11, 2013, 10:21 AM
I don't think he is taking credit for LTE iphone but we all know apple was hesitant to switch until the technology could at least walk on 2 feet. I think his role was one of convincing Steve that the technology had matured enough for Apple to jump on board.

Sounds right. You must be an actual adult!

rGiskard
Apr 11, 2013, 10:45 AM
Left out of his telling is what Steve convinced him to do. No doubt Steve Jobs let him think he sold him on LTE as a negotiating tactic.

I just cannot believe Steve Jobs would not have heard from anyone at Apple that LTE is good for streaming video, that he had to hear it from Verizon's CEO.

inlinevolvo
Apr 11, 2013, 11:19 AM
Verizon came crawling to Apple by the time they realized their mistake.

Actually this is a mute point. While the iPhone was single handily crippling AT&Ts network, Verizon got to watch from the sidelines and make improvements in their network in preparation for the iPhone. They were also a key player in androids success in the US. This actually just benefitted the consumer. I have had Verizon for over a decade now and wasn't convinced to switch carriers. Apple knew that if they wanted to expand their market share and respond to androids growth, they had to broaden their list if supported carriers. It's hard to say in the long run that Verizon begged apple because it was a mutually beneficial arrangement for both parties to be partners.

the8thark
Apr 11, 2013, 12:43 PM
Actually this is a mute point. While the iPhone was single handily crippling AT&Ts network, Verizon got to watch from the sidelines and make improvements in their network in preparation for the iPhone. They were also a key player in androids success in the US. This actually just benefitted the consumer. I have had Verizon for over a decade now and wasn't convinced to switch carriers. Apple knew that if they wanted to expand their market share and respond to androids growth, they had to broaden their list if supported carriers. It's hard to say in the long run that Verizon begged apple because it was a mutually beneficial arrangement for both parties to be partners.

This is not entirely true. Apple originally pitched the iPhone to many US carriers and the only one that would take them was AT&T with an exclusivity contract. The others were like "an Apple phone? haha". After the success of the iPhone on AT&T and the exclusivity contract with t hem was up, the other carriers quickly added the iPhone to their lineups. They wanted a piece of that profit action too.

"While the iPhone was single handily crippling AT&Ts network" This is true cause it was so popular there. Well it was the only place to get an iPhone for a long while (in the US).

kugino
Apr 11, 2013, 12:53 PM

what's a "mute" point?

it's hard for me to believe that steve would listen to anything anyone from the cell business would have to say...

inlinevolvo
Apr 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
This is not entirely true. Apple originally pitched the iPhone to many US carriers and the only one that would take them was AT&T with an exclusivity contract. The others were like "an Apple phone? haha". After the success of the iPhone on AT&T and the exclusivity contract with t hem was up, the other carriers quickly added the iPhone to their lineups. They wanted a piece of that profit action too.

"While the iPhone was single handily crippling AT&Ts network" This is true cause it was so popular there. Well it was the only place to get an iPhone for a long while (in the US).

What part of what I said was false?

iHelios
Apr 11, 2013, 02:56 PM

I lol'd

BiggAW
Apr 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
The bottom line on the iPhone 5 was that it came out after the cutoff date for smartphones to be LTE on Verizon. If it didn't have LTE, it wasn't going on Verizon, and that's not something Apple wanted to do.

On Verizon's side, with amount of iPhone fanboys getting increasingly unhappy with AT&T, Verizon knew that they would be able to get at least some of them to switch.

I don't think anyone, AT&T and Apple included knew how popular the iPhone would be when they launched.

And the fact of the matter is that a small percentage of VeriPhone customers were "switchers", most of them were on Verizon family plans, and couldn't leave Verizon but wanted the iPhone, and were finally able to.

wkadamsjr
Apr 11, 2013, 04:50 PM
While all these memes are funny and all, did anyone actually read the article link? The reporting is entirely different from MacRumors' account...

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-ceo-50-our-wireless-traffic-video/2013-04-10?utm_source=rss

Premium1
Apr 11, 2013, 04:53 PM
Sure ya did

xak
Apr 11, 2013, 09:13 PM
the only one using the term "convince" was the author of the article. all the guy did was tell a story as far as i'm concerned, and in that quote he never claims sole responsibility for the addition of lte to the iphone or that he was the single person to convince him to do so.

:cool:

haruhiko
Apr 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
I convinced Jobs to enter into the tech industry.

Sir Michael
Apr 11, 2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks Mr. Version CEO! You totally did.

antonis
Apr 11, 2013, 11:23 PM
This is all false. **I** am the one that (personally) convinced Steve Jobs to use LTE.

But you wouldn't be able to, if **I** hadn't convinced him to return to Apple. ;)

Now, seriously, is this CEO guy really expects to get any credits, stating such things after Steve's gone ?

Arcady
Apr 12, 2013, 04:17 AM
Actually this is a mute point.

The word is moot.

I didn't bother reading anything else you wrote.

----------

iPhone fanboys getting increasingly unhappy with AT&T

I hear this kind of stuff all the time.

Guess what? Carriers vary greatly by geographic region. I have an AT&T phone and my co-worker has a Verizon phone. We travel to a different state practically every week. Some weeks, my phone works and his sucks. Some weeks, his phone works and mine sucks. Most weeks, both of our phones work fine. We've been in 32 cities in 20 states since January. I found one small town where I only got Edge. His Verizon phone in the same town had LTE. In the town we are in now, I get 5-bar 3G (my phone is not 4G/LTE) and he can't even make voice calls.

inlinevolvo
Apr 12, 2013, 06:54 AM
The word is moot.

I didn't bother reading anything else you wrote.[COLOR="#808080"]

Yes, thank you. Autocorrect. I think another reader also pointed this out.

Rocketman
Apr 12, 2013, 09:00 AM
the chipsets required for LTE at that time, which had a very high power drain (i remember a review of some HTC LTE device which drained the battery while navigating with LTE - while plugged in to a car charger!).This is central to the Apple philosophy. Make it user friendly or don't release it. In Apple's case they have an 8 hour threshold of good enough. I for one will look forward to the distant day when an Apple handtop has a 3-4 day battery life. For now I would opt for a mere 24 hours on a BTO basis. Thicker is actually better in some meaningful ways.

Rocketman

carl0sian
Apr 12, 2013, 11:41 AM
I convinced Steve to release the original iPhone

NorCalLights
Apr 12, 2013, 11:45 AM
What an idiot.

Also... I was streaming video on my iPhone 3GS in 2009, and I have a feeling Mr. Jobs was too. There are a few holes in this story.

demodave
Apr 13, 2013, 12:56 PM

Ancient reality-distortion mid-trick. "This is the LTE phone that you thought you wanted me to make."

demodave
Apr 13, 2013, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't call it "crawling back", I'm pretty sure Verizon would still be around even if they didn't carry iPhone as of today. IMO, both saw an opportunity to make more money and finally took it.

[massive cut]

At the end of the day, I would say that both Apple and Verizon both saw benefits of doing business together and finally put their "differences" aside and seized the opportunity.

YES! This is exactly like the stuck-up so-and-so at a party who says, "I don't want sex" when they really mean "I don't want sex *with you*" and then later, after a couple drinks admits they want sex *ahem*. [Please pardon the graphic imagery. Mods feel free to not post this if it is deemed offensive.]

----------

That's why he's an "executive"!

No, that's my he's a C-level. C is an abbreviation.

BossHogg
Apr 13, 2013, 04:06 PM
Didn't he and Denny Strigl turn down the original iPhone deal with Jobs because they wanted to focus on that AWESOME VCast music system ????

Should have both been fired for that one !

gnasher729
Apr 13, 2013, 06:30 PM

Fact is that the iPhone required investment, and a single carrier with an exclusive contract was always going to benefit much more from such an investment than multiple carriers. Verizon would have gladly taken the iPhone had they been the only one, just as AT&T wouldn't have been happy with a non-exclusive contract. Obvious that whoever didn't make the iPhone deal would then talk it down.

the8thark
Apr 14, 2013, 04:28 AM
Fact is that the iPhone required investment, and a single carrier with an exclusive contract was always going to benefit much more from such an investment than multiple carriers. Verizon would have gladly taken the iPhone had they been the only one, just as AT&T wouldn't have been happy with a non-exclusive contract. Obvious that whoever didn't make the iPhone deal would then talk it down.

This is not true. AT&T was the only one to initially accept the iPhone. The others rejected it. And AT&T would only take it on the exclusivity contract. Which was good cause no-one else wanted it. When the exclusivity contract was up everyone wanted it as we know cause it's a profit making phone.

John.B
Apr 14, 2013, 12:06 PM
This is not true. AT&T was the only one to initially accept the iPhone. The others rejected it. And AT&T would only take it on the exclusivity contract. Which was good cause no-one else wanted it. When the exclusivity contract was up everyone wanted it as we know cause it's a profit making phone.

Splitting hairs here, but AT&T was the only one to accept the iPhone on Apple's terms. It's not that the other carriers didn't want it, it's that they couldn't abide the restrictions (no garrish carrier logos, no carrier shovelware/crapware, music/movies could be added only via iTunes, etc.)