Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brussell27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Before leaving on a weeklong trip I unplugged all of my computers as a safety measure. While plugging things back in after returning home I mis-alinged the plug to my Furman M-8x2 and tripped a breaker. Plugged into the Furman was my Macbook Pro, my Drobo (Time Machine) and three external drives that contain my iTunes library, my photos and other files -- one drive for each category. Now my MBP is toast along with the Drobo and the LaCIe FW enclosure that had the iTunes drive in it. It appears that the drives are fine. The MBP was functioning as the family room computer, the file sharing hub for the content and for a network Time Machine drive (Drobo), as well as sharing content to the Apple TV in the main HT.

I'm thinking of replacing the MBP with the 2011 mini that is currently in the kitchen and get a new mini for the kitchen where the bulk of our computing happens but I would really appreciate some help on re-designing the network to improve file sharing around the house.

I need to find a new solution for the Time Machine. I liked the flexibility of the Drobo to be able to expand but hated the slowness, and somewhat flaky nature of it. The fan noise was not a problem in the storage room but was annoying when I had it in the kitchen. Should I try to find another large drive set up to handle Time Machine for the whole network or try for a different solution.

My iTunes drive enclosure was toasted so I need a solution there as well. Any suggestions?

I currently have:
1- 1TB external USB drive for files.
1 - 1TB external USB drive for photos,
1 - 2TB drive for iTunes now needs new enclosure, was an external LaCie FW800
1 - 500 GB drive that was in the Drobo
2 - 3TB WD Green Drives that were in the Drobo.
1 - 120GB Samsung 840 that was in the MBP.
2011 mini used as main house computer and 2 Dell laptops from work. It would be nice to integrate the laptops but not necessary.

I've run Cat6 to all of the locations in the house and have Gigabit switches as well.

Any advice on re-working my setup that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm thinking of replacing the MBP with the 2011 mini that is currently in the kitchen and get a new mini for the kitchen where the bulk of our computing happens but I would really appreciate some help on re-designing the network to improve file sharing around the house....

You need both a central place for the files (itunes, photos and so on) and a way to back them up. redundantly.

Take a look at "freenNAS" You can build a pretty good NAS using PC hardware and with enough drives you can service more then one failure.

But next time place the NAS system on its own UPS (not a spike bar like.) Then you need a second NAS for time machine backups. Use all the left over drives for a second level backup where tyou copy data to the drive them place the drive off-site and rotate them

When you set up the NAS buy some WD "Red" drives not the green ones like you have
http://www.freenas.org/about-freenas/features.html
One thing about Freenas It needs RAM get 16GB and a good fast Intel Ethernet card.

brussell27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Thanks for that reply and I should have been a little more specific in what I'm looking for. I have looked at FreeNAS and don't think I want to go down that road. Also, I like having my data separated over a couple of drives (files, photos and iTunes content).

So I guess I'm looking for advice for a TimeMachine drive and whether that should be a NAS device or a DAS connected to a new Mini and shared over the network? Or if I should have separate backup devices for each computer? Also, if anyone has any recommendations for a new enclosure for the iTunes drive. Would that be better on a NAS or shared from the Mini running as a dedicated music server?

Thanks again!

Brad

brussell27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I have been researching this for a bit and think I have come up with a solution. I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice.

Move 2011 mini to HT/file serve duty 2.3 i5 8GB Ram 500GB Momentus XT drive to HT for work/streaming(Hulu, Netflix. iTunes)
Move files to 500GB USB 2 external drive
Move 2TB iTunes drive to USB 2 exteranl drive (was in FW800 that bit the dust)
Combine 2 1TB drives into a raid 0 USB 3 enclosure for photo and video
Move 2 3TB drives and 1 TB 2.5 drive from new mini to Synology 413 NAS for Time Machine
Purchase refurbished 2012 2.3 i7 mini replace 1TB drive with Samsung 128GB SSD to become main home computer in kitchen for work/streaming(Hulu, Netflix. iTunes)

Not sure is I still need the Apple TV in the HT now that the mini is there. Could move to living room

Not sure exactly how to integrate the NAS. Should I just put it on the network and make it exclusively a Time Machine drive and share other external drives from 2011 mini or should I hang them from the NAS.

Am I doing this right?

Thanks!

Brad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.