Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hello again all....!

Visiting a swap meet the last weekend I bought a iMac G3/500 DV SE. Always like this model of iMac and wanted to have one. In a impulse, I shelled out the $75 the seller was asking. Checked the thing and have Mac OS 9.2.2 installed, a 80 GB HDD and 1 GB of RAM. Comes with the Apple Pro keyboard and mouse.

Long history short, I put it in a desk in a University where I give classes (wanting to upgrade/tinker with it) and a professor passes by and fall in love with the thing (I cleaned it thoroughly....:D). Sitting there with no use, I have a Bluetooth combo of keyboard and mouse. The guy offers me $300 if:

1-Update the OS to the maximum possible (I have done my homework and think 10.4.11 is the maximum. No problem here because I have a legit copy I can use and pass)

2-Install a decent version of Office

3-Install the version of Adobe CS suite the machine can suport

4- Get the Bluetooth combo of keyboard and mouse to work

5-Make the computer wireless capable (Internet)

So, my real problems are issues 2, 3 and 4, and here I come with me advice/help request:

1-What is the last version of Office supported in this machine/OS
2-What is the last Adobe CS suite supported in this machine/Os
3-The Bluetooth thing can be done in a reliable way? What do you suggest to resolve this issue?

As always, thanks in advance for the advice and help.

:):apple:

Last edited:

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
What is the last version of Office supported in this machine/OS

Office 98 was the last to run on OS9

What is the last Adobe CS suite supported in this machine/Os

I can't quite remember now. It might be that the adobe applications bundled as a suite never came to OS9. CS2 definitely did not run under OS9. Photoshop 6 was the last version to run under classic.

The Bluetooth thing can be done in a reliable way? What do you suggest to resolve this issue?

Some bluetooth dongles claim to be OS9 compatible, but there is no built in system support in 9.2.2 so it would need to include drivers.

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
Hello again all....!

1-What is the last version of Office supported in this machine/OS
2-What is the last Adobe CS suite supported in this machine/Os
3-The Bluetooth thing can be done in a reliable way? What do you suggest to resolve this issue?

As always, thanks in advance for the advice and help.

1) If you do go the 10.4 route, you will probably want to install office 2001 or 2004, but will have to test if the 2004 is not to "heavy" for the G3...
2) Adobe CS2 will work well with 10.4, and Adobe you can download it for "free" from the Adobe website, given that they have shut down their activation servers for this suite and now provide activation codes...
3)there are a number of Bluetooth USB dongles that work with Tiger... but most of them will not allow you to wake the mac from sleep with either the bluetooth mouse or keyboard. are those from Apple? I believe magic mouse has limited functionality in 10.4, but works...

$300 would be an excellent selling price, go for it!

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'd go CS2, but you have to remember these computers are 12-13 years old, they're going to feel incredibly slow by today's standards. Your only option for BT would have to a USB dongle, they weren't thinking about BT in 2000 and wireless internet you can throw in an original airport.

If you can sell it for $300 and still have a clear conscience you're a stronger man than I.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
There seems to be more to this than meets the eye.

If the buyer isn't fully aware of the limitations of your iMac, even were you to make the desired upgrades, he may not be happy with his purchase once he starts using it. If he's someone you deal with fairly regularly, this could become a problem.

Too many people who purchase older Macs suffer from the mystery of ignorance about all things Apple. They hear/read all kinds of great things about Macs, but know little about their capabilities and limitations. You see this frequently on this forum, with people buying PowerPCs -- often at a premium -- who only seek help and do proper research AFTER the purchase.

"I just bought an MDD PowerPC. How can I get a copy of Mountain Lion? Can I put in 8GB of RAM? Can I stream videos at 1080p? How well does it work with Netflix?"

Because it was love at first sight for your buyer, I'd have a frank discussion with him about his needs and expectations. Yet, you did find/buy the iMac, and if/when you make the upgrades, you will have fashioned a rig for him to his specs. With that -- and this is if it were me -- I'd offer it to him for $200.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Thanks all....

There seems to be more to this than meets the eye.

If the buyer isn't fully aware of the limitations of your iMac, even were you to make the desired upgrades, he may not be happy with his purchase once he starts using it. If he's someone you deal with fairly regularly, this could become a problem.

Too many people who purchase older Macs suffer from the mystery of ignorance about all things Apple. They hear/read all kinds of great things about Macs, but know little about their capabilities and limitations. You see this frequently on this forum, with people buying PowerPCs -- often at a premium -- who only seek help and do proper research AFTER the purchase.

"I just bought an MDD PowerPC. How can I get a copy of Mountain Lion? Can I put in 8GB of RAM? Can I stream videos at 1080p? How well does it work with Netflix?"

Because it was love at first sight for your buyer, I'd have a frank discussion with him about his needs and expectations. Yet, you did find/buy the iMac, and if/when you make the upgrades, you will have fashioned a rig for him to his specs. With that -- and this is if it were me -- I'd offer it to him for $200.

for the input, advice, suggestions and comments.

1- I would do the Tiger upgrade, because I can and was requested by the buyer. Also, open the options for more use.
2- I am grateful for the info about Office and CS.
3-I dont consider myself a shady person. Only tackling this project by the interest of the buyer. I agree, a talk is a must, to show him the limitations and problems he can get buying the machine. I dont have any intention of scam somebody I have to see in a daily basis. What I can do is make a budget with the upgrades the buyer wants and said, charge 25% over if want to have a revenue. But that last thing, I can void totally or in some extent....:D

Thanks again all for the posts. Feel free to continue, in the constructive way and more based in the original questions.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
So,.....

after a talk with the buyer, about the limitations/pitfalls of the iMac, he still wants to buy it, with the upgrades outlined, so I procceded:

1- Installed Tiger and updated up to 10.4.11 Give the buyer original OEM retail disc with DVD with upgrades: $ 35

2-Installed Office 2001 and pass the disc with legit license: $35

3-Downloaded CS2 and installed it : $20

4-Installed an AirPort card I bought in eBay: $35

5-Installed a D-Link USB Blueetooth dongle I got in eBay. Both keyboard and mouse works, pass them to buyer: $75

Applying my 25% I billed $250. So the buyer got a $50 rebate. So far, so good...

Thanks again all for the useful hints, advice and pointers. And for advising me to have a talk with the buyer. In this way, he can know the limitations about the computer he is buying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.