Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Hi: Have worked with Dasd for many (too many years) including using external caches, multiple disc drives over many channels, controllers etc etc. Online banking/timesharing with IBM systems. ( I call it the dark ages).

Out of habit I delete and get rid of anything not required anymore.

Fusion is different. For the first time I cannot control the configuration/layout myself. I would like to know how the software works before I install (less work -have done it the long way before - but I am now lazy).
I ran the free app Omnisweep. It told me how I use my drive(what is on it) and I found I only use about 160GB of a 1TB drive. Mostly storing Images of original artwork in photoshop format and original raw data. If I bought a 256 GB SSD installed it in Fusion format with the 1tb hdd will OSX ever move any data out to the HDD drive or will it wait until I fill up the drive and only have 4GB left???? if so why fusion in my case?

If so then I really only need to install a 128GB SSD. But is seems such a waste of time to just install a small SSD when you have to open up the machine anyway???

I have some ideas of what to do having done this for a living.

But the world have changed it no longer works quite the same way, but we still want to reduce cost, get more responsive systems and have adequate(perfect) backup.

I would like some information on how the fusion will work with an SSD significantly larger than my actual data requirements.

thanks elo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.