PDA

View Full Version : Firewire over IP

sahil
Dec 13, 2002, 04:40 PM
hey did anyone hear about this...i was just checking my mail and co-incidentally i went to macsurfer...
and now for ADC members they can go on the internet...ethernet via firewire...so they can also go on the internet if they connect their comp (with firewire) to someone else's comp as long as they have internet access then both people can use the itnernet...
and i assume since firewire is 400MBPs then the internet won't be affected that much....
sahil

big
Dec 13, 2002, 05:04 PM
firewire should be the new standard....think about using a firwire printer, or scanner, and not having to worry about extra power cords. keeping two usb slots on a mac for non apple crap.

but with bluetooth, is usb even needed? easy wirelss mouse & digital cams? wow... I cant wait to see all the neat gadgets when my kids are my age. they already have osx figured out (6 & 4), and can easily login & play their games

what about an airpot enabled internet cam?

firewire has the power avaliability nothing else has seen....I think a fw monitor would be perfect, then the cpu could be in a closet, not that you'd want to hide an apple desktop, but it'd give you some real flexability.
I know my G3 is LOUD at night!

FattyMembrane
Dec 13, 2002, 07:36 PM
i think that this technology is great, especially once it comes to incorporate rendezvous. plug and play networking and internet access with no setup what so ever, no restarts, and completely hot swapable - that's pretty cool. i also hope that with firewire 2, we start to see components that used to be in the pci/agp slot move into seperate enclosures so that we can finally end this lack of upgradability buisness with apple's iSeries of computers (imagine a firewire2 graphics card).

big
Dec 13, 2002, 07:45 PM
exactly my point, if Apple is willing to make awhole other processor avaliable through AGP just for the monitor, then why not just have one on the motherboard, that can also be utilized when the graphics function is low....

and you can have a moniter on a firewire cable...nice if you ask me