Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Okay... so this is going to sound really dumb and strange(and it is)... but I discovered something today. I am really hoping that SOMEONE can reproduce it out there. I want you to try this: close your ibook and hold it with the apple logo away from you, and blow air into the little metal button to open it up.. like its a reed instrument. I SWEAR it makes a really cool noise, like a half empty beer bottle. I noticed it today when trying to blow a little particle out of that area. I have decided to make a band... so all of you, see if you can get it to work, and practice, practice, practice... I hope to have our first gig by christmas.

Edit: Powerbooks have the same kind of latch button.. id assume it works with them too.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
like... blow into the latch?

I think I may have to ask the genius bar about this...

Does a 15" powerbook make a lower pitch than a 12" iBook?

:p

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Well when I went to blow the latch I heard "ooohhh, oh yeah" come from my speakers so I stopped, ran away and took a shower. I sat in the shower curled up crying for hrs.

:D

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
maxterpiece said:
u tryin' to make me hyperventilate? No noises here, ibook 12", 1.33ghz.
Haha, me too. Hee. Am I not aiming for the right place? :eek:

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
haha.. I was afraid this would happen. I SWEAR it works!!! ok.. try what I did... pretend there is a little speck of crud in where the button is.. and try to blow it out. I am doing it like a pro now... kind of blow across the button.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
katie ta achoo said:
like... blow into the latch?

I think I may have to ask the genius bar about this...

Does a 15" powerbook make a lower pitch than a 12" iBook?

:p

hehe... ACTUALLY.. I tried it on a friend's 14 inch ibook and it was the same as my girlfriend's 12 incher... nice try though

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
you know what this thread needs?

PICS!!

I'm pretty sure what I'm doing to my PB in the pic is illegal in the state of Texas...

Attachments

• 100_3169.jpg
    100_3169.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 151

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
katie ta achoo said:
I'm pretty sure what I'm doing to my PB in the pic is illegal in the state of Texas...

HAHA! oh man.. this is getting crazy.. im sorry.. my digicam is quite broken right now... BUT seeing this helps: it must be closed... and you blow across it with the latch button facing towards the ceiling and the apple logo facing away from you.

Edit: Maybe I am blowing a little into the space between the screen and the keyboard part?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
RJP31484 said:
HAHA! oh man.. this is getting crazy.. im sorry.. my digicam is quite broken right now... BUT seeing this helps: it must be closed... and you blow across it with the latch button facing towards the ceiling and the apple logo facing away from you.

Ohhh

like a flute, or like a raspberry?

Hmm.
I think for the integrity of this thread, I have to post videos of both.
I don't have webspaace, so I put it on my blog.

ENJOY!

fun fact #1: I had to reshoot "raspberry" about 4 times because I kept giggling.
fun fact #2: I took out my contacts between the pic and the vid
fun fact #3: pft, I'll sleep in the same shirt if I want to. I live like a college boy in a frat house.
fun fact #4: I have 42 fortune cookies on my wall (you can kinda see them) and NONE OF THEM HAVE COME TRUE!!!

/Soon you'll have a chance at a profitable transaction...
//IN BED!
///The world will soon be ready to receive your talents
////don't add "in bed" to that one. that's just dirty.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oh man Katie... that was amazing... I cant believe you went through all that just to help me not feel like an idiot. but anyway.. back to the point at hand: It is more like a flute.. the second one.. that was SOO close!! I thought you were going to make the noise!! I WISH someone could do it!

P.S. katie.. aren't you from philly?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
RJP31484 said:
Oh man Katie... that was amazing... I cant believe you went through all that just to help me not feel like an idiot. but anyway.. back to the point at hand: It is more like a flute.. the second one.. that was SOO close!! I thought you were going to make the noise!! I WISH someone could do it!

P.S. katie.. aren't you from philly?

no... Houston.

Am I tough enough to be from Philly?

"gimmie your money!!.... please:) "

Agh! OK. KT bed now.

maybe I'll get it in the morning... :p

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'm such a loser.

I just went all the way out to the dark and scary living room (where my iBook is) and tried again... er. I can't get it to make any sound other than, weirdo-blowing-at-iBook-latch sound. If it matters at all, I did used to play the flute. Sigh. Guess you're gonna have to be patient in organizing an iBook ensemble.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I can't do it either! I propose a new ensemble for blowing into the processor exhaust vents. :D

This thread is like, historic. This has to be a new record for Mac-geekdom.

EDIT: Ladybugs who get fried on halogen lamps smell DISGUSTING. You've been warned.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Well... I am going to hold off on calling venues till we can get off the ground. I am going to find a way to post a video tutorial tomorrow if I can find the time. Im off to bed... till tommorrow friends! have faith, I will have you making beautiful music be the weeks end.

to Katie: I must just be confusing you with someone else... but trust me.. if I can make it here, anyone can... Im just a farm boy tryna MAKE IT in the big city... 2 months, and still alive and goin' strong.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
devilot76 said:
katie, that was awesome. You officially rock.

As if there was ever a doubt in my mind. :p

I'll second that. Very cool :D

Tried to blow air on my Powerbook but it just didn't work. Never was any good at playing the flute anyway.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
dubbz said:
Tried to blow air on my Powerbook but it just didn't work.
Yeah, same here. I tried it on my 12" Powerbook and nuthin'. And I'm a flutist too, so I know I'm doing it right. Maybe it's just an iBook thing?

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
LOL This thread is hilarious. I tried blowing on my PowerBook (specs in sig), but got no feedback. :( The lid was open because I am downloading something and didn't want to interrupt it, so maybe I'll try it later when it is closed.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Holy Jumpin Jehosaphat and all the New Orleans Saints!

On the same day someone posts "am I abusing my Powerbook?" Someone else posts graphic instructions on how to "blow" your ibook... and with a movie to boot.

I'm gonna have to go wash my eyes out with soap...

ashon3611

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2004
Austin
katie ta achoo said:

Tehehe... Yea there is a sodomy law in texas... speaking of blowing it, how about the astros :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.