PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: iBook owners

RJP31484
Oct 24, 2005, 12:07 AM
Okay... so this is going to sound really dumb and strange(and it is)... but I discovered something today. I am really hoping that SOMEONE can reproduce it out there. I want you to try this: close your ibook and hold it with the apple logo away from you, and blow air into the little metal button to open it up.. like its a reed instrument. I SWEAR it makes a really cool noise, like a half empty beer bottle. I noticed it today when trying to blow a little particle out of that area. I have decided to make a band... so all of you, see if you can get it to work, and practice, practice, practice... I hope to have our first gig by christmas.

Edit: Powerbooks have the same kind of latch button.. id assume it works with them too.

MacTruck
Oct 24, 2005, 12:11 AM
I tried it like an idiot. :o

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 12:14 AM
like... blow into the latch?

I think I may have to ask the genius bar about this...

Does a 15" powerbook make a lower pitch than a 12" iBook?

:p

MacTruck
Oct 24, 2005, 12:18 AM
Well when I went to blow the latch I heard "ooohhh, oh yeah" come from my speakers so I stopped, ran away and took a shower. I sat in the shower curled up crying for hrs.

:D

maxterpiece
Oct 24, 2005, 12:18 AM
u tryin' to make me hyperventilate? No noises here, ibook 12", 1.33ghz.

devilot
Oct 24, 2005, 12:22 AM
u tryin' to make me hyperventilate? No noises here, ibook 12", 1.33ghz.Haha, me too. Hee. Am I not aiming for the right place? :o

RJP31484
Oct 24, 2005, 12:26 AM
haha.. I was afraid this would happen. I SWEAR it works!!! ok.. try what I did... pretend there is a little speck of crud in where the button is.. and try to blow it out. I am doing it like a pro now... kind of blow across the button.

RJP31484
Oct 24, 2005, 12:27 AM
like... blow into the latch?

I think I may have to ask the genius bar about this...

Does a 15" powerbook make a lower pitch than a 12" iBook?

:p

hehe... ACTUALLY.. I tried it on a friend's 14 inch ibook and it was the same as my girlfriend's 12 incher... nice try though

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 12:27 AM
you know what this thread needs?

PICS!!

I'm pretty sure what I'm doing to my PB in the pic is illegal in the state of Texas...

Counterfit
Oct 24, 2005, 12:28 AM
Even though brass is cooler than woodwinds...

Do NOT attempt to play any Macintosh computer like a brass instrument! :rolleyes:

RJP31484
Oct 24, 2005, 12:33 AM
I'm pretty sure what I'm doing to my PB in the pic is illegal in the state of Texas...

HAHA! oh man.. this is getting crazy.. im sorry.. my digicam is quite broken right now... BUT seeing this helps: it must be closed... and you blow across it with the latch button facing towards the ceiling and the apple logo facing away from you.

Edit: Maybe I am blowing a little into the space between the screen and the keyboard part?

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 12:44 AM
HAHA! oh man.. this is getting crazy.. im sorry.. my digicam is quite broken right now... BUT seeing this helps: it must be closed... and you blow across it with the latch button facing towards the ceiling and the apple logo facing away from you.

Ohhh

like a flute, or like a raspberry?

Hmm.
I think for the integrity of this thread, I have to post videos of both.
I don't have webspaace, so I put it on my blog. (http://steevie.textamerica.com/?r=3528276)

ENJOY!

fun fact #1: I had to reshoot "raspberry" about 4 times because I kept giggling.
fun fact #2: I took out my contacts between the pic and the vid
fun fact #3: pft, I'll sleep in the same shirt if I want to. I live like a college boy in a frat house.
fun fact #4: I have 42 fortune cookies on my wall (you can kinda see them) and NONE OF THEM HAVE COME TRUE!!!

/Soon you'll have a chance at a profitable transaction...
//IN BED!
///The world will soon be ready to receive your talents
////don't add "in bed" to that one. that's just dirty.

devilot
Oct 24, 2005, 12:47 AM
Ohhh

Hmm.
I don't have webspaace, so I put it on my blog. (http://steevie.textamerica.com/?r=3528276)

ENJOY!katie, that was awesome. You officially rock.

As if there was ever a doubt in my mind. :p

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 12:48 AM
katie, that was awesome. You officially rock.

There should never have been any doubt! :p

..and off to bed I go!

RJP31484
Oct 24, 2005, 12:52 AM
Oh man Katie... that was amazing... I cant believe you went through all that just to help me not feel like an idiot. but anyway.. back to the point at hand: It is more like a flute.. the second one.. that was SOO close!! I thought you were going to make the noise!! I WISH someone could do it!

P.S. katie.. aren't you from philly?

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 12:54 AM
Oh man Katie... that was amazing... I cant believe you went through all that just to help me not feel like an idiot. but anyway.. back to the point at hand: It is more like a flute.. the second one.. that was SOO close!! I thought you were going to make the noise!! I WISH someone could do it!

P.S. katie.. aren't you from philly?

no... Houston.

Am I tough enough to be from Philly?

"gimmie your money!!.... please:) "

Agh! OK. KT bed now.

maybe I'll get it in the morning... :p

devilot
Oct 24, 2005, 12:57 AM
I just went all the way out to the dark and scary living room (where my iBook is) and tried again... er. I can't get it to make any sound other than, weirdo-blowing-at-iBook-latch sound. If it matters at all, I did used to play the flute. Sigh. Guess you're gonna have to be patient in organizing an iBook ensemble.

Demon Hunter
Oct 24, 2005, 01:07 AM
I can't do it either! I propose a new ensemble for blowing into the processor exhaust vents. :D

This thread is like, historic. This has to be a new record for Mac-geekdom.

EDIT: Ladybugs who get fried on halogen lamps smell DISGUSTING. You've been warned.

RJP31484
Oct 24, 2005, 01:11 AM
Well... I am going to hold off on calling venues till we can get off the ground. I am going to find a way to post a video tutorial tomorrow if I can find the time. Im off to bed... till tommorrow friends! have faith, I will have you making beautiful music be the weeks end.

to Katie: I must just be confusing you with someone else... but trust me.. if I can make it here, anyone can... Im just a farm boy tryna MAKE IT in the big city... 2 months, and still alive and goin' strong.

dubbz
Oct 24, 2005, 01:20 AM
katie, that was awesome. You officially rock.

I'll second that. Very cool :D

Tried to blow air on my Powerbook but it just didn't work. Never was any good at playing the flute anyway.

BurtonCCC
Oct 24, 2005, 01:35 AM
I might have to change my PowerBook's name to "blow me."

Daniel

Stampyhead
Oct 24, 2005, 01:43 AM
Tried to blow air on my Powerbook but it just didn't work.
Yeah, same here. I tried it on my 12" Powerbook and nuthin'. And I'm a flutist too, so I know I'm doing it right. Maybe it's just an iBook thing?

p0intblank
Oct 24, 2005, 01:47 AM
LOL This thread is hilarious. I tried blowing on my PowerBook (specs in sig), but got no feedback. :( The lid was open because I am downloading something and didn't want to interrupt it, so maybe I'll try it later when it is closed.

CanadaRAM
Oct 24, 2005, 01:55 AM
Holy Jumpin Jehosaphat and all the New Orleans Saints!

On the same day someone posts "am I abusing my Powerbook?" Someone else posts graphic instructions on how to "blow" your ibook... and with a movie to boot.

I'm gonna have to go wash my eyes out with soap...

ashon3611
Oct 24, 2005, 02:02 AM

Tehehe... Yea there is a sodomy law in texas... speaking of blowing it, how about the astros :(

maxterpiece
Oct 24, 2005, 02:13 AM
Ohhh

Hmm.

ENJOY!

fun fact #1: I had to reshoot "raspberry" about 4 times because I kept giggling.
fun fact #3: pft, I'll sleep in the same shirt if I want to. I live like a college boy in a frat house.
fun fact #4: I have 42 fortune cookies on my wall (you can kinda see them) and NONE OF THEM HAVE COME TRUE!!!

//IN BED!

Katie, that was funny and unusually and wonderfully personal for an online forum. It made me smile. Thank you.

SummerBreeze
Oct 24, 2005, 02:32 AM
Ha, this post is hilarious! I tried to play my PowerBook like a flute...nothing happened....it didn't even try to open garage band and create on-the-fly sheet music for me. Damn...

DarkNetworks
Oct 24, 2005, 07:13 AM
Ohhh

Hmm.

ENJOY!

//IN BED!

pretty awesome...nice...

iSaint
Oct 24, 2005, 07:52 AM
Dude, I think you're messing with us. The only thing I got was a foggy screen when I opened my iBook back up.

Arcus
Oct 24, 2005, 07:56 AM
I cant wait to get home and try this!!

I think ill try blowing into the microphone hole on my slot loading iMac. Im thinking Ill get a nice bass sound.

mpw
Oct 24, 2005, 08:04 AM
OMG photos of Katie blowing a 15"!:eek: I've got to get home to view those videos.

devilot
Oct 24, 2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah, same here. I tried it on my 12" Powerbook and nuthin'. And I'm a flutist too, so I know I'm doing it right. Maybe it's just an iBook thing?I have an iBook... also 1.33GHz 12" like the OP. :( He lies, he lies! ;)

RJP31484
Oct 24, 2005, 09:48 AM
I have an iBook... also 1.33GHz 12" like the OP. :( He lies, he lies! ;)

OHHHHHH you wait till I get home and post a video of me and my amazing (and apparently unique) skill!!!!

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 10:50 AM
OMG photos of Katie blowing a 15"!:eek: I've got to get home to view those videos.

Haha, it's SFW. :p (aw, shucks.:rolleyes: )

Hmmm.. Maybe if I blow on my iPod?
I DID install linux on it.. added functionality... HAHAHA!
(by added functionality, I mean.. SNOOD!)

The BT mouse makes an awesome castanet.
Click, click, clickclickclick click!

mpw
Oct 24, 2005, 11:10 AM
Haha, it's SFW. :p (aw, shucks.:rolleyes:)

Hmmm.. Maybe if I blow on my iPod?
I DID install linux on it.. added functionality... HAHAHA!
(by added functionality, I mean.. SNOOD!)

The BT mouse makes an awesome castanet.
Click, click, clickclickclick click!

Do you do requests?:D

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 11:14 AM
Do you do requests?:D

I can play "La cucaracha" real good on my mouse. :):)

I could stretch rubber bands over my PB and make a crappy Gee-tar.

Well, you're quite the...
*googles for "british slang*
...cheeky chap!

VAmin
Oct 24, 2005, 11:30 AM
Ha! Got it to work on a 12" ibook. Sounds like a harmonica-ish sound, or the sound you get when you rub the edge of a wineglass. Somewhere in between. I had it open when I tried it.

peterparker
Oct 24, 2005, 11:46 AM
Ohhh

Hmm.

ENJOY!

//IN BED!

Damn Katie, that is TOO funny!

I got nothing out of my 12" PB. My daughter and mom both have iBooks, I'll have to try it later. But I play guitar and piano, so I won't have the wind instrument experience...

bartelby
Oct 24, 2005, 12:47 PM

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHACOUGHCOUGHCOUGH!!!!

You made me choke on my wine!!!!

: D

bartelby
Oct 24, 2005, 12:50 PM
Ohhh

Hmm.

ENJOY!

You are one strange lady...
: )

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 12:52 PM
You are one strange lady...
: )

Hey, I was doing it only to further scientific study of iBooks making noise...

hypothesis: works
conclusion: don't work

Chacala_Nayarit
Oct 24, 2005, 03:37 PM
Katie, if I buy a Mac laptop will you help me make sweet music on it? ;)

ITASOR
Oct 24, 2005, 03:58 PM
I blew in my latch and my airport signal went down 2 bars. :eek:

...but no noise came out! (other than wind hitting metal).

katie ta achoo
Oct 24, 2005, 04:16 PM
Katie, if I buy a Mac laptop will you help me make sweet music on it? ;)

If you get me one, too.
an iBook..

for research purposes, of course.